Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ray Ban now available at Target!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Thumbs down Ray Ban now available at Target!

We have a super Target that just opened 1/2 mile from our location. Today we have learned that Ray Ban, Revo, and Killer Loop are now available at Target!! I even have one of their ads saying that their specials do not apply to those lines! After the Lenscrafters and Giorgio Armani slaps to the face, I am now ready to call it quits with Luxottica and send it all back! Any comments?
    JB

Go into Wal-mart Then you will get rid of Safilo

Go into Bj's Then you will get Aspex

Go into Marshalls and Tj maxx Then you will get rid of Safilo, Marchon, Clearvision, Marcolin

Go into Sears then you will get rid of Viva

I Have not seen Lux product in Target but how much are they selling them for!

My point is most of the big vender are giving big discounts to the chains( So what's the difference)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile rayban

JB, as a cole employee i guess i can comment, your right they do not apply to the specials, as a lot of those cannot be rx,d, and i personally am not to keen on rxing any of them. We do have a list of the ones that can, but its also limited as to what lenses. price wise 100 to 200, so i don,t think were heavily discounting them.
    .....If you dont want competition, find the ones they dont sell, as like everybody else we do not carry the whole line. Revo,s are limited to only 12 styles, raybans 36, and some of those are same frame , different color, so really less then 36 styles.
    .....I think you have to get used to the fact that a lot of manufacturers are going to go to where they can move product, and between all the chains, thats a lot of product. Try not to fight it, try to find a way around it.
    .....When i was in business for myself, i went to a lot of trade shows and saw a lot of vendors and always sought out those unique items that no one else near me had. Thus, MINE WAS BETTER.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Maybe you were not aware but Sears Optical which is run by ColeVision also runs the Target Optical stores.

:D :bbg:
    Last edited by jediron; 07-31-2003 at 07:21 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Sears also runs ads that say you can get a pair of glasses for $99.99. But talk to there employees and they will tell you that Cole discourages employees from selling those packages of $99.99. They want there bottom line at $175..00 per job and they
    want there double pairs at 15% or better. Basically Sears is a bate and switch operation. They try to frame it under the guise of
    life style dispensing while all the time forcing ther employees to get the customer to spend more and more.

:(

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm with Harry on this one. I too attend trade shows in search of unusual lines. My primary inventory is NOT a major frame manufacturer. If I choose a major manufacturer, it is because I'm looking for a specific collection and that's where I stay. My customers seem to appreciate the idea of not looking like everyone else.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Wake up call .....................................

Judy Canty said:
    My primary inventory is NOT a major frame manufacturer.
    Congratulations for saying it.

Major frame manufacturers do not even manufacture anymore these days. They have the frames made in another country and have their name stamped on it which in turn makes them more expensive than the ones that might be made in the same place with a generic unknown name. Thich might make it more exclusive because it is not widely advertised, but of same quality at a lesser price.

You can only fight back by just ignoring brands that are sold in the mentioned places.

Who is the qualified person to advise the patient/customer of what is good, worth the money, or what could be even better in shape, quality or price,..................it is you professional people, the OPTICIANS and OPTOMETRISTS the customer trusts.

(By the way: In the old days the Ray-Ban aviation sunglasses used to be 14 karat gold-filled, what are they now?)

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    jediron said:
    Maybe you were not aware but Sears Optical which is run by ColeVision also runs the Target Optical stores.

Jediron,
    In NC where Harry works they aren't owned by Cole.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Chris, holy ****! Just got your initials!!!

Me observant...not!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Cindy you may be right. But I just went to the Cole web site and it
    said that Cole runs at least 225 Optical shops in Target stores with more planned for this year. Granted out of 1000 Target stores this is only a quarter, but it looks like within five years they will have most of the Target Stores in tow. So for now N.C. is clear
    but I would bet within one or two years most of the stores in N.C.
    will have Opticals.

Occupation
    edKENdance said:

Me observant...not!!

Takes a MANITOBAN to be first !

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    edKENdance said:
    Chris, holy ****! Just got your initials!!!

Me observant...not!!
    Must be a Canadian thing, eh. I still don't get it.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spell it out from right to left. OLD probably means Optical Lens Designer, or Optometrist Lacking Degree. :)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Don't
    Lose
    Out.

New
    Advances
    In
    Chemical
    Industry
    Turn
    Profits
    On

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    <<Major frame manufacturers do not even manufacture anymore these days.>>

Chris, care to cite names?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Impact 500:

Who needs names ? It is possible to name a few that manufacture some of what they sell, but you'd be hard pressed (in most cases) to find one that manufactures everything they sell.
    I can't think of one.

Occupation

Names ..............................

impact500 said:
    <<Major frame manufacturers do not even manufacture anymore these days.>>
    Chris, care to cite names?

The list would be to long.

Just have to name the countries they used to be made in.

France

Germany,

Italy

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I apologise for hijacking the thread. In regards to the original intent of the post I'll just say that the last time I was in Barcelona you could buy Ray-Bans off of a spinner in a convienience store. Expanding the markets for high quality frames and lenses will only push the **** that's available to the fringes.

I checked out 2 targets in near me this weekend!

Once inside target it took some time just to find the optical shop. Do they try to hide them? It must be some kind of new marketing!

I did not see Ray-Ban at either store!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile target

Fletch, to answer your question, there are optical centers in some of the older and smaller targets, and what you stated is the problem, they get shoved back in a corner, not very visible. With possibly a few exceptions they are only being opened in super targets, where they are right up front in the middle of the store. As far as i now the rayban/revo stock was suppose to be a nationwide deal, so i do not know why you did not see them. I have them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, Harry. Should have stopped in to see you last week. I was doing the NASCAR shop tour up and down I-77.

Luxottica is beginning to make the same mistake that Bausch and Lomb did 25 years ago. When Ray Bans began to be sold in the discount and department stores, the independent opticians wouldn't touch the stuff anymore.

I guess that they see no difference between Target and Sunglass Hut. As far as Cole is concerned, I stopped being suprised a long time ago about the stupidity that comes out of Cleveland. It may be the only company I know of that is in competition with itself for market share.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

EyeManFla Cole is that stupid. You have people walking thru Sears seeing signs that read 30% 50% and 70% off, but you walk into the optical and they tell you it wont be $99.99 but that will cost you $184.99. They just don't get it. If your in the parent store and they are advertising discounts then you should be discounting two. But from what I have heard they want all there people up selling and if they don't they will replace them with people that will.

:bbg: :bbg:

Bad address email on file ShellyJaffer777's Avatar

sunglass hut

when I first moved to FLA, I applied for a job at Sunglass hut ( I am not lisenced) and was made painfully aware that they are owned by Luxottica.

In our shoppe, we only carry frames that are difficult to find anywhere else. The owner went very high end years ago after the shoppe down the road was matching prices with her, and her with him because they carried the same things. They were killing each other. So, she thought about it, and went high end.

I worked in a SuperTarget optical in Indiana for a short time and we never sold 99.00 glasses. We had to sell AR and warranty on evry pair or else. This made them around 180.00 to 210.00 each.
    I hated that job. I didn't feel like optician as much as I felt like a stereo salesman. LOL

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why wouldn't RayBan be sold at discount places and sunglass shops? Not too many optical retailers seem interested in carrying and selling a large number of plano sun frames so RayBan and all of the other plano sunglass lines have to be sold somewhere.

Bad address email on file Mikol's Avatar

Swap meets

Hey ,

I remember when Ray Ban and others were all available at local swap meets and flea markets.........WHO CARES its Ray Ban....come on people when is the last time Ray Ban was a staple in your practice?

A little lost on the thoughts here let Luxottica do what B&L did with the lines and lets see if there is anyone left in the wholesale arena with $$$$$$ enough to BUY Rayban and distribute it after Luxottica runs its path with the line.

ARMANI.........ARMANI...........ARMANI

its just funny to me when I look at the big picture...

Mikol
    :cheers: :cheers:

Thread Information