View Poll Results: How are your sales doing?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heavy Drop

7 17.50%
  • Slight Drop

14 35.00%
  • No Change

0 0%
  • Slight Increase

13 32.50%
  • Heavy Increase

5 12.50%
  • I don't know

1 2.50%

Thread: May - June Sales Trends

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question May - June Sales Trends

I've noticed that while we are not slow, we are hair slower then we were last year in both of our offices. I am not sure if it is because folks are wary of spending right now or if it is just because they are taking vacations or if they are involved in graduations and weddings and not thinking about eyewear. How is business for everyone else?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know how to vote! April was up 64% over last year and May was down 29% over last year. June is pretty slow and this roller coaster ride is getting a little old...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I voted a slight increase but really it goes like this. The office I manage was up slightly in the month of May but we are currently down for the month of June. We are doing great with the sales but our exams our down.....anyone have any similiar troubles? Any ideas on how to boost exams?

Vicki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Cycles

Patients don't want to spend any more time inside the office than they have too. I looked back at my books and there is a definite trend to pick up at tax time and drop back in the summer. People want to put money back for summer trips so sales drop. Sunglass sales pick up some but refractions are down.

:cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Vicki,

Our exams are down also.

Folks that are buying eyewear don't seem to be spending any less on their glasses; there just aren't as many folks walking in the door. I have noticed folks purchasing smaller contact lens supplies. Instead of a year supply I see more folks purchasing 6 month supplies or less.

Bad address email on file

Redhot Jumper MAY-June Sales Trends

Tomorrow I reenter the optical business after being away for 2.5 years. When I left, the trend for may-june business seemed to run pretty good compared to july-august. In fact , july-august seemed to usually be the worst time. I am reentering as the general manager of a 5 mil./yr. location. .
    To quote SlimShady - "things have been a little empty here without me."
    While I am excited about the future I don't have firsthnd knowledge of sales trends over the last 3 yrs. Can anyone share with me their experience in running a superstore location? Especially , staff recruitment, responses of staff to being held to a higher standard, methods of reinforcing more aggresive sales approaches than the rut they seem to be in, etc...Thanks, and I hope to be a regular contributor to this site.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mark,

Up until last year I was not a GM but I was a lab manager of a 2Mil/year corporate store. You will find that not all that much has changed in the time you have been on hiatus with the exception of the bad ideas of the past taking a stronger foothold on everyone corporate stores included.

Marketing departments created one of the biggest bad ideas impacting sales. They run big promotions too frequently. Years ago promotions were necessary to bring in market share. Unfortunately, folks got used to getting a good deal and started to wait until the next sale before buying glasses. Then companies started to run the special co-ops more frequently, almost constantly, now it is close to impossible to get many customers to understand that while $99 Completes or BOGOs are great deals if you need them they are not necessarily the best buys.

I think this is where folks in independent offices develop their miconceptions about corporate opticals. Even though these sales are running it is rarely that a corporate store wants to sell only $99 glasses like a discounter. It is quite the opposite they are expected to maintain average sales twice that amount or higher after sale or insurance discounts. The public on the other hand has $99 in mind.

This whole mess can ruin the morale of a store staff in two weeks or less. The staff is working harder, a $12K day may actually be a $16K day before discounts, but their not making their sales goals. The second someone from above comes down heavy on them it is over.

Trainers are doing better jobs of teaching associates the difference between nickel and titanium or zyl and polyamide but associates need to be taught how to educate the consumers on those differences. A customer who is allowed an eye exam ever two years by their insurance company needs to be told why one frame will last two years while the other may only last one and etc.

Recruit energy people. Even if they've never worked in sales before they are the most likely to be confident with your customers. If you want to run sales contests make sure the prize has value for all of the staff, make it challenging and make the prize worth it. Make sure you and your managers are as good at cheerleading as you are at managing the numbers and don't be afraid to roll your sleeves up on busy days. Managers that hide in offices on busy days with their doors closed aren't very well respected by their staffs.

may-june sales trends

Thanks for your response Jo. On my first day yesterday, we had a blocker go down - needs an $1100.00 circuit board - should arrive tomorrow morning. Are remakes always this many in a high volume store - i'm guessing - yes. Spent the day in dispensing. Will probably spend today in frame styling/sales. One very nice thing was that the staff was great to get along with. Doctors as well. And last but not least, the lensometer out front had a lens reticle that had no knob for custom focusing to the particular users eye - was okay , but can't allow for variances between users. Todays a new day .

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Actually. I think May-June is up because schools are out, more students and teachers get in in the summer. I really don't seem to see the big shifts in business of late, though over the years, back to school in the fall is a much bigger drop off that when school lets out for the summer. I know it helps to keep in touch with clients, let them know that it's been too long since their last exam, and that there are new frame styles an lens options that may benefit them. Jo, one thing is for sure, the public has been wise to all of the marketing gimmicks of major chains for a while now, the bogo's, 99$ completes, or 2 fer $99, half off's etc. . a reputation for attempted deception is pretty hard to swallow. it's loss leader, bait and switch, etc. if it wasn't for 3rd party insurace scams, where would the big guys be?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mark,

We were able to control our remakes to about 13%. While you can control lab remakes, some in house doctor remakes and remakes due to human errors , if you have any form of consumer guarantee folks will use it. The only way to keep quarantee remakes down a little is by stressing that lens and frame enhancements should fit customers' lifestyle needs.

Smilie May-June Sales

It appears, down here in Charleston, that exam's have slowed from last month. Usually, when this occurs the eyeglasses and sunglasses drop off, not so for us. I've noticed more walk-in's in sunglasses though. Anyhow, good luck to everyone with their sunglasses sales, that's where the money is right now.

eyeguy

Well here in country New South Wales we have had a big downturn in sales for us.

Apparently we were travelling ok for the start of the last fin. year but when sept 11 happened sales dropped and have never fully recovered.

On top of that this region is experiencing a severe drought. From that the farmers etc that are a big part of our business are not spending anything.

Water restrictions placed by the water board have also affected us.

We have just had the first competition open in the mall since a few years ago. We will see how this affects business. It is a health fund provider with a crappy optical shop.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper July

The good news is that July is turning out to be a very busy month. We are right back on track again and slightly ahead of last year.

This has been a really crazy last few months.

Thread Information