Thread: New product release?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New Product release?

There has been talk of a new product coming out from Transitions.A 4th generation as it were.Its supposed to be released after the first of the year, and today qualifies :D . I'm wondering if anyone else has heard about it and can provide some information about it! BTW this page looks great!
    best wishes from Cape Cod Harry J
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry, you stole that question right out of my mind. All I've heard is that the new product is called Transitions Next Generation and our lab will be supplying it soon.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question

Mmm, will this product be available in the UK ?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Today, January 2nd 2002 is the rollout for Transitions Next Generation product. This product replaces the industry standard Transitions 1.50 product.
    The lens is 89% LT indoors. At the OLA, people were shown frames with CR-39® in one eye and Next Generation Gray or Brown in the other and asked to pick out the new lens. Very few people could do this.
    For the first time a photochromic lens can be featured as a clear lens that is multifunctional. Lifetime, Speed, Darkening and Temperature independence was greatly improved over the existing 1.50 product.
    Transitions Next Generation completes the upgrade of the Transitions line.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    John R,
    Our Rollout of Next Generation in the UK is April 2002. I know the UK is "Grey" market like the US, but when people see the brown they are going to love it. Performance matches the Grey in every category.
    Jim

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Jim, Is this the same as the 'quantumn' transitions, but now will be available in 1.50? Al.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hello Al,
    The Quantum Technologies™ line of products dealt with lens materials above 1.50 index (or more specificly non CR-39® based).

When upgrading the mid index and polycarbonate from Transitions III and launching the 1.67 High Index we used new photochromics that allowed us to process each lens material and deliver it in its clearest indoor state and top performance. We called this Quantum because the technology was never available in these lens materials. It was a "leap" over anything done before.

From those product launches we found photochromics that would do the same for the 1.50 product.

Because Transitions Lenses are available in standard, mid, poly and 1.67 hi index, the Rx can be filled in the proper lens material that suits the job in a choice of gray or brown and be assured that product is in the best technology and premium design brands.
    Jim

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    what about the transition green?? I don't seem to hear about much. I have a pair and i really prefer them over the grey. Does anyone know if that product line will enlarged?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Harry,

We labs have had a NIGHTMARE for the last month and a half getting this out.. we were required to send our old version of III's back in Nov. in two shipments and told to keep what we needed till they rolled around with the new stuff.. I have had it in and been giving it out to my accounts for the last two weeks....
    If anyone wants to know what the big hub-bub is than if you have used Sunsensors than you know what the NG looks like.. it is clearer indoors and darker out just like the S.S.
    NOW the problem.. we were told (labs that is) that the III's were going to still be out there for us untill around Feb. or March for those people who had one eye changes etc. and I have already run into lens not available!!!!!!!!
    Get ready for a lot of frustrated people (opticians) who I get yelled at for making them buy a "pair" when I can't get the older III's.. I have had it already and had to go through another lab and they sent me a few I needed.. you guys on retail have it made when they pull these little end runs on us in the labs... anyone remember the **** we all had to go through when the III's replaced the "plus" ..get ready for it all over again...
    If I had an hour and felt like bashing a lens company who pulled a real sneaker on me with all this stuff..who DOUBLE filled my transitions order and sent me about $12,000 worth of lens and than told me to go ahead and "pay" and they would credit me..yea right...So I'm out all that durring the SLOWEST time of the year?..what a rip...
    Crying aside.. the NG are a nicer lens than the III's and if they said it wasn't because of the Sunsensors one more time I'm jumping out a window!!

Jeff "likes the look but not the way it was handled by the lens companies" Trail

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hello Sparky
    Transitions XTRActive Green is a great outdoors product. I doubt if the current product line is expanded. We love them here in Florida. The product is very temperature independent and was developed for our markets in Brazil and the Pacific Rim.
    The Green with a gold AR is a beautifull thing.
    regards
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hello Jeff
    I passed your post on to our Lens Manufacturer Managers. Was your problem with generic (SFSV, ST28) or specialty product (PALS, 35's TriF)?
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer

Paul Brown

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Jim, from Jeff's post, I get the impression that we are about to shift to the 'NG' product, without having seen it, all our demo lenses are III's, we have a very large group of transitions clients. Is there a reason that our labs haven't been very forthcoming with this product? Are there lens design limitations of availability?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I just ordered my first pair!

I sold a pair this AM.The lab said they won't have it in till at least the end of next week.Do you think that is realistic or should I caution the customer that it may take longer?
    bst from hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hello Everyone,
    With a little luck the new Transitions website will be up tomorrow. On that website there will be an electronic version of the new Dispensing Guide.

Sometime late today our FAX ON DEMAND feature (call 800.848.1506 and follow the prompts) the new Dispensing Guide will be faxxed to you.

As for today's (January 3, 2002) immediate availability, All Generics in Gray and Brown are ready. American Optical, SOLA Optical, Essilor Lenses, Vision-Ease Lens, X-Cel Optical and Younger Optics supply the Gray.

Vision-Ease Lens, X-Cel Optical and Younger Optics will supply the Brown generics.

Younger Optics, Vision-Ease Lens and X-Cel Optical are fully locked and loaded with their specialty segmented (ST35,Tri's, Rd 24 etc) products and extended ranges in both Gray and Brown.

The premium brand PALs are being released through January. Most designs are ready today, call your manufacturer for the particular design you favor.

FSV will be released in this spring.

As for notification of the launch, an oversized postcard (6"X9") was sent to 40,000 ECPS the second week of December. It read "Make the Smart Move" to Smart Technology. The card followed up the OLA product launch announcement and articles in Vision Monday.

I saw this card for the first time today. It is rather open ended on a launch date (coming soon!) and does not identify the product at all (could have been or whole line of products). I can understand why someone would not pick up on the meaning unless they receive VM or went to OLA. Marketing usually avoids our technical group on these calls, but then we do not share hard coat post cure info with them.
    I hope this helps.
    Jim
    Jim Schafer

Paul Brown

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    What is the Quantum technology called when applied to Spectralite lenses? Velocity or something?

Anyway, I was told by a rep (I think it was at SECO last spring) that Quantum works differently in Spectralite than in other materials because Spectralite has larger "spaces" between its atoms which allow the photochromic molecules to expand and contract with greater efficiency.

This sounded like a lot of hot air to me, so I thought I would run it by you for a "reality check."
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hello Pete,
    That information is not so far out there. It is a matter of having the space for the molecule to open and close freely but the material must also be strong enough to keep the molecule from "running wild" too.

Quick refresher for everyone, a closed molecule is clear (or a chosen color), an open molecule is colored. Light, and in our case UV Light causes the molecule to swell, split open and absorb color in the Visible Spectrum. This is happening lightening fast and constant the whole time the molecules see daylight. Once removed from the energy source (daylight) the uv source is gone and the molecules stay closed and in the chosen state of clear or color.

Because there are millions of molecules in the surface of that lens, a too loose of a substrate would not react near as fast to changing light conditions. In theory, until the UV energy was consumed by the molecules, a lens would keep darkening if you went from full sun to indoors. By having the proper matrix match with the compounds the reaction can be very crisp and tight. The other thing that can happen is the molecules react so fast the color is muted or washed out looking. You need that balance of molecules in a closed and open state.

The AO·SOLA Spectralite Velocity™ lens material allow the photochromic molecules to reach their full potential without any draw backs.
    regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer

Paul Brown

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Re: I just ordered my first pair!

Originally posted by hcjilson
    I sold a pair this AM.The lab said they won't have it in till at least the end of next week.Do you think that is realistic or should I caution the customer that it may take longer?
    bst from hj
    Hi Harry! Over here in Sunny So. Cal we have some in stock already and are waiting on more but it seems the demand is large (if you take a look at the response here) so if you think the patient won't balk it might be better to underpromise and overdeliver.

Also To Jim, first of all, thanks for all the info!! It was my understanding that the only PAL's available right now are the Image and the AO Compact with the Piccolo coming soon- is this true?? (keep in mind that we are not an Essilor lab so if any of that product is currently available we can't get it-although I would like to know if it is available now) Thanks in advance for the info:D
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hello Karen,
    The Next Generation Transitions Lens premium brand pals available today are the American Optical AO Compact®, SOLA VIP®, SOLA Percepta®, Essilor Natural®, Varilux Panamic®, Shamir Genesis, Shamir Piccolo, Younger Image® and X-Cel Freedom 5™ in Gray and the Shamir Genesis, Younger Image and X-Cel Freedom 5 in Brown.
    The rest of the line up is literally being released by the week. Call your favorite manufacturer for your prefered pal design release date if I did not list it today. By VEE, the full Transitions Lens roster of the 20 some standard index premium pals will be available in Gray and Brown.
    regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer

Paul Brown

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Transitions.com intro screen

I followed the link to the Transitions website using the banner in the upper right corner of this forum and was taken to a splash intro screen. The intro showed Transitions NG turning into a really dark grey lens after being fully activated. We haven't recieved our POP just yet but our labs are stocking the new lenses. Is the intro an acturate way to give folks an idea of how Transitions NG will behave? That lens turned pretty dark.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Living up to their reputation ...

I found my answer; we got a pair of Panamic Transitions NG with AR coating in Friday. Talk about a nice looking lens. It definitely is the clearest indoor, darkest outdoor photochromic I have seen yet. It started out almost clear and got as dark as an Extra-Active outside but turned a nicer shade of grey.

Great product!

Thread Information