Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU sell eyewear?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How do YOU sell eyewear?

What is your technique in selling eyewear.
    Is it by utility, price, quantity for the dollar, luxury, vanity, cosmetics, trend, medical quality assurance, what?
    When you "dispense contacts (disposables), do you place a years worth of boxes in front of the patient, say that'll be $xx.xx and then sell down from there?
    How do you sell, "multiples".
    When do you sell tint?
    How do you move a patient from Adaptar to Panamic?
    How do you, (meaning what do you say), if you decide its the right thing to do, move a patient from flat top to progressive?
    How high is High Index before it gets too high to be worth it or does that ever happen to you?
    When does "brand name" come into the picture?
    Does the word "sell" bother you?
    Does a doctor helping a patient buy eyewear have it easier to sell higher priced items than an optician?
    Does a Flexon frame represent such a high quality that the patient doesn't need to buy another frame when the next exam is done? (I've heard that said!)

It's all yours.......
    All of us search for a "zinger" that makes it easier to place eyewear with a buyer.

What's yours?

Bad address email on file marblez's Avatar

Wink

All I can say is education education.

I educate patients. I let them tell me what they need and want. From there I start asking questions. I can make good choices and then tell the good, bad, and the ugly(and I mean ugly) My doctor and I have a good relationship and we work togather to give the patients what they want. I can cross refrence differences in progressives, ars, sc, uses for tints, etc. I also can give my patients comfort in knowing that I will do what I need to do to make them feel good about what they are purchasing.

I can read body language and determine how to handle each patient. I know when to laugh and tease(or flirt as my husband calls it) I know when not to make changes and when to introcduce new things to patients. My education furthers the patient's choice. I give them brohures and web address to further educate patients.

The other thing I do is make every patient feel as if they can come in at any time. This the most important aspect. If a patient doesn't feel this it won't matter what I say or do they will not buy. It might sound so general but it really isn't. I work hard at it and it makes my office alot of money and my patients very happy

Christina Marble

That is how I sell glasses

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello Alan!

My technique? I pick about three favorite frames for each customer type (men, women, children and unisex) from the variety of price tiers we have in the store. I learn all I can about those three frames. These are the frames that I will probably show first when working with a patient. Which one I will go to depends on the customer. I ask them how they dress most of the time (Casual or a suit) I now know what might fill their cosmetic needs for a good chunck of their day. I then ask how thier old glasses performed. I find out if they feel they want something tougher (Flexon) or something lighter (a 3-piece, Titanium or stainless frame). I ask if they are looking for a clip-on or if they where regular sunglasses. Let's say we start with a Flexon, I try to find out if this is a higher price then they wish to spend. If it is, I show them other "good" frames with spring hinges and work down from there. I do mention trends while I am going through our selection, "we just got this line in and this is the pair so-and- so wears on whatever show" or "many of the new frames are titanium, a durable and light metal." Medical quality assurance usually comes into play when folks pick out something that won't work with their Rx or lifetstyle needs. A 3-piece may not be the best frame for someone with a 2 year old child or a -11.00 -3.00.

Many of the contacts we sell have rebate offers right now; so yes, I start with the price on a year or six months worth and explain the rebate savings and work from there.

I sell multiples where needed. We are a big clip-on store and most of our former patients wear clips. If a frame doesn't come with one I mention that a custom clip can be made. If someone would be better off in two pair (one office one regular, a sport goggle for kids, a regular polarized sun for sailing or a goggle for skiing), then I mention that.

Most of our suns are polarized. I sell tints to the more fashion oriented folks who don't want ARC.

I don't know that I would move someone from an Adaptar to a Panamic. I would try and move someone who works on a PC all day or at a desk into one of the Desk Top lenses and I have felt the need to move certain folks into one of the compact progressives.

I just describe how a progessive works vs a flat top as far as range of powers. I also have a plano distance +2.00 add PAL demo that I let the customer take a look through. They can usually get the idea of having a mid range from that.

Brand name frames usually come into the picture when folks looking for fashion then I show them the designer frames. It usually only comes up with lenses or contacts when the customer brings it up. Well, there is one exception, ARC. I tend to mention Zeiss, Pentax or Crizal. Folks relate to Pentax making camera lenses and it helps them feel more comfortable about the product.

I would say when we are busy yes. Usually recommendations start with my lead. I write the wearing rx on the chart and include material, PAL design and coatings. The doc usually swings by when he's done to run his recommendation by me or ask if something he has in mind will work. When he delivers the Rx he states his recommendations to the patient. If the patient shops in our optical it is my job to do the rest and to choose the ultimate end frame and lens combo.

Sometimes. I noticed most of our Flexon patients update their old glasses or turn them into suns and get a new look. It is actually the lower tier patients who want to reuse their old frames. We sell a ton of 1.6, 1.67, polarized and ARC so this is understandable. Patients want the better lens. This is where the fine line comes in. I have found it best to be honest with the patient when approving their own frames for reuse. If the frame is in good shape - no problem. If the frame is beat - it's better for both the patient and myself if they choose a new inexpensive frame. Why put $200+ worth of lenses in a frame that may last a couple of months. I can discount the base but not the add ons because of what the lab will discount for me on a redo so the patient will only end up spending more than if we dealt with an old frame up front.

Lastly a zingger ... hmmm. I don't have a quick phrase but I try to let patients know that their glasses are tailored and we don't sell off the rack. I know it is what opticians have done since the dawn of time but it isn't done as much now so actually "fitting" glasses is a foreign concept to most patients. I note the patients PD and tell them what frame front and bridge will be the right width for them. I check the temple length and either order the correct length or trim one if the right size isn't made. If I need to put shorter or longer nosepads on or need to change nosepad styles I do that. Etc, etc.

OK Alan, my fingers hurt and this post ran so long I'm not sure if it makes sense anymore so I am shutting up now.
    ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Christina

Please, pretty please....
    Spend a few more minutes with us on body language. Thats a subtlety that a lot of us let go right over our heads.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jo

You're no amateur. Thats for sure.
    For selfish reasons (My practice is on the water) I'd like to know how you present polarized lenses.
    Use props?
    Testimony?
    What?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alan,

One more thing concerning your first question. You also have to be a little bit of a cosmetician, both from the get go when you purchase your frames for the shop and when you fit your customers with them; there are too many frames out there now not to pay attention to cosmetics. You need an understanding of how frames compliment face shapes and how frame colors interact with hair color, skin tone and the colors of the cloths that the customers wear most. For example, take a male with dark hair who wears some form of grey or dark suit for 50 hours a week. That person will probably look really sharp in a gunmetal frame. Now take a male with light to medium hair that wears pastel button downs and kahki's for 50 hours a week. He will probably look better in a brown or copper frame. A dark frame against blonde hair is more dramatic and makes the frame stand out. A dark frame against dark hair on a person with a dark complexion will make that person's face appear even darker. Etc & etc.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Polarized lenses almost sell themselves but you have to get the customer to look through them.

We have those little grey demonstrators in the sunsection and by the fitting counters and we have a big display with a light box. I usually start by having an Rx wearer hold one a plastic front with plano lenses over their glasses or by having a contact lens wearer put on a Nautica frame with polarized lenses. If it is day time, I have them look at one of the grey cards; they are usually amazed when a picture appears before their eyes. Then I take them out the front door. I let them see the glare coming off windshields and bumpers then I have them look through the polarized lenses. At that point there is usually no question; they want polarized.

A way of verbally describing both polarized and ARC to folks who into hi-tech is by relating both enhancements to Dolby Noise Reduction. Dolby reduce audible noise and polarization and ARC reduce visual noise. By the way, they are great when they are combined; no one likes to look at a reflection of their own cheek and eye looking back at them in their sunglasses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great ideas, Jo

The Dolby analogy is terrific. I've got to try it.

Question:

What's your opinion on talking price?
    I have been told that answering the price question cuts the sale short, but answering with lines like: " This frame is made of extremely high quality materials and is designed to last a long time. The chances are when its time to come back for your yearly exam you'll be able to reuse the frame."

Let me throw in my opinion, then I'll shut up. Using the recycle line to me is like acting like a carny! People who are pampered, "dressed in eyewear", cosmetically counseled, and fitted with meticulous attention to fashion and designer benefits and discussion about the lenses etc. know that the eyewear ensemble will cost. You don't walk into a fine eyewear salon or shop or whatever you call it and think cheap. On the other hand, when you present utility you automatically present some rationale that makes excuses for price. I hate making excuses for price with a bloody passion!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How I go about discussing price depends on the customer. Some folks walk in and the first question they ask is "what frames will my insurance cover completely so I have no out of pocket?" I should also note that you can't always go by looks when it comes to trying to figure out someone's price range.

I tend to start with what I consider a high value frame that the customer wants and go down from there. I don't show every single customer the highest end frame but I don't start low and upsell. The prices are marked on our frames so the customer does have an idea of where we are heading with price. If there is a question about why so much I tell them why they get what they pay for. There are a few exceptions where it is all in the name and I tell them that - it is a designer brand. You wouldn't go buy an Armani or Calvin Klein suit or buy a Cartier watch and act shocked when you hear the price - why would eyewear be different. Other frames are priced high because they are made well. You get what you pay for. In the case of insurance that pays for one pair of glasses a year you would want a set of frames that will last more than a year. Outside of insurance, you wouldn't go out and buy a $2,000 diamond and put it in a $10 band. The band won't last that long and odds are you will end up losing the diamond in the end.

Sometimes I don't talk price until the end. If price becomes a slight issue then I may through in a free tint or free upgrade to polarized lenses in a clip on. If it is a regular customer I may throw in a second pair of free SV lenses in the patients own frame for reading or a tinted sunglass.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jo

You wouldn't go buy an Armani or Calvin Klein suit or buy a Cartier watch and act shocked when you hear the price - why would eyewear be different
    Great statement.
    So, uhhhh . . . When do you want to move to Seabrook, TX.?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jo and Alan

It appears that you two aren't out celebrating Christmas either.

Great comments! Super hints! I can hear the register ringing from here!

Keep up the good work!

Homer

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Alan, Nice thread; Personally, I think it's important to spend the opening moments with a clinets 'just visitin'. determine whether they are a 'new pt.', or an existing pt., what are their expectations, find out precisely what they've been wearing, how much rx change is involved and what problems that may induce, if any. this is where we hear the famous eye doc phrase,"there's not enough change to make a difference". we need to have a clear understanding of the benefits of the new eyewear. We need to know that Panamics ARE very different than Adaptars. You know, in Texas, sunwear is a NEED, and I don't think clips are that big a deal, so we start off talking sun lenses, first! preferrably Varilux polarized with Crizal, 85% of our clients are Varilux wearers. By presenting sun lenses first, you get the "second pair" done first. it's not an 'extra' pair. many folks are now on computers and need to know that they NEED seperate glasses for that need. Price is always an issue. There aren't many vision benefit plans about that benefit anyone but themselves. But I do know that pricing is arbitrary, to some degree. It's very difficult for consumers to price shop, which means retailers have a field day with deceptive marketing practices. So, we try our best to have a fair price structure, and to be sensitive to multiple pair sales. the best thing is to educate the patient thru the process, and let the "buy" what they like.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Al,

Listen....Listen....Listen is one of my key strategies of selling eyewear. Listening to a patient for 5 minutes will give you more valuable information than trying to pry the closed end (yes or no) questions out of them if they feel intimidated by your controll over the transaction. This also provides a better opportunity for multiple sales as they talk about teir lifestyle.

Present the most practical eyewear lens designs, materials and options first explaining the benefits which they afford. Otherwise, if a person has a budget to work with, they may blow their budget on a frame and cut themself short on practical lens options. I try not to give patients access to my frame boards. I know what and where all my frames are and if I listen to their needs effectively, I can immediately locate a few appropriate frames. Leave 3 customers loose at your frame boards and in 10 minutes, your dispensary may look like a church rummage sale and you won't have as much luck locating something your are specifically looking for.

Making notes on their RX such as: "Discussed AR / Patient Declined" "Discussed Poly / Patient Declined" "Discussed PAL / Patient Declined" etc. is another way of indicating the consumer can be recognizing more performance out of their eyewear but does not wish to purchase the option which provides the respective benefit.

Finally DON'T discount just to make a sale. This will come back to haunt you down the road as patients will inform their friends of what buttons to push and will diminish your professional integrity.

Two more pennies worth.
    Kevin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hi, Al

Wo
    I don't think I can count how many great points you made. But would you please spend a few minutews on the actual dialog, words and stuff, that go along with this quote:

Personally, I think it's important to spend the opening moments with a clinets 'just visitin'. determine whether they are a 'new pt.', or an existing pt., what are their expectations, find out precisely what they've been wearing, how much rx change is involved and what problems that may induce, if any. this is where we hear the famous eye doc phrase,"there's not enough change to make a difference". we need to have a clear understanding of the benefits of the new eyewear.
    Thanks,

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great, Kev

Listen, listen, listen . . . . great advice to an optician who can't wait to educate, educate, educate. Its like the old rule: listen 70% of the time, talk 30%.
    It would be great if you would come back with a set of questions. . . kind of like:

"Tell me . . ."
    "What is . . ."
    "When do . . ."

The hardest thing for new (and old ,like me!) opticians to do is come up with the right way to say the questions themselves. Its obvious you have a style and a way of asking so your clients will talk. How do you say what encourages them to talk?

Your post is most helpful and appreciated.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Alan W, Some questions that I utilize, are: How many miles a month/year do you drive? Do you have problems with 'glare' from trucks, chrome and glass, road/water? What has been your experience with your current glasses? Has anything changed occupationally or vocationally? What are some of your hobbies? Is eye safety an issue? What did the doctors office say about your new Rx? Do you have any eye health issues that we should be aware of? Of course, this is our 25th anniversary and we have many pts that I've seen for longer than that, and their kids and grandkids, so there will be a lot of 'social' babble; about scout trips, church, community issues; many times they'll ask about our kids, etc., or they'll rant on about insurance, etc. hope this helps. Al.

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    These are some of my favorite questions to ask

Describe for me what some of your indoor hobbies are....(and then...) Describe for me what some of your outdoor hobbies are...

In order to design this new pair of eyewear....tell me what one thing you would change re: cosmetics....function....durability...

How much time do you spend in front of the computer? When you are in front of the computer, do you work pretty much uninteruppted or do you have to look up as people come in to your work area...do you have to get up & walk around the office?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Al & Optigoddess

Great ideas. The dialog really helps.

Al . . . .
    Happy Anniversary to you,
    Happy Anniversary to you,
    Happy Anniversary Dear Al . . . . . . . . . .
    Happy Anniversary to you!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Polarized Demo

Alan:

We have a demo by NuPolar set up by our cash register. It is a box that is open in the front. Inside is a picture of a country road, covered by a piece of plastic. The light inside the box reflects off the plastic, creating lots of glare. Using non-polarized lenses, the glare remains. But look through the polarized lenses and - voila! - the glare is dramatically reduced.
    I've found this to be very effective.

For A/R, we have a lens that is about 3 inches in diameter. The center of it (about 1.5 inches in diameter) has A/R, the outer part does not. We've also got the frame with one A/R lens, one non-A/R.

Blake

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I can easily sell 5 pairs of sunglasses every day and replace them all with CR-39 A/R polarized lens by telling my patients-------I can ride a motorcycle non-stop to Chandler, Arizona with my polarized sunglasses on and my eyes never get tired !

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jerry

Excellent concept.

But, but . . . .
    How do you find the time to sell 5 pair a day if you're on the road to Chandler?

d'dum,dum, qwish (cymbal crash!)!

Thank for the great idea. I'm on the water here in Galveston Bay. I can use the same analogy . . . sell to the Coast Guard chasing drug runners on my way to the Mexican Riviera!

Seriously . .. there's thousands of boats and yachts around here. This is the land of the brackish reflecting water. They need em!

Good idea.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Wink

It's a matter of semantics.
    I notice that if a patient says

"I bought these glasses here last year"

then they usually like the glasses.
    But if they say

"You sold me these glasses last year"

then more likely than not, they are unhappy with the purchase.

I think the key is that the perception of quality and good fit has to outlast the perception of the cost.

my two cents worth,

jon:D

Bad address email on file Loomy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

AR Technique..!

The best ar technique I saw was in a store in Toronto.
    All the opthomic frames that were on display were without lens.

I asked why and he replied......

because when the customer wears the frame and asks where are the lens or why is the frame without lenses?

I'll say because that's the way you'll look with AR coated lenses..!!

Very clever isn't it..!?!?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Loomy,

I would guess this place sells little or no rimless or semi rimless eyewear.

Ha..Ha.. Jab..Jab

Good concept though!

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    Actually, Loomy & PAkev (et al)...I think this discussion brings up good question: How does everyone feature A/R ? I've seen some POP with pictures....I've seen the lenses with part a/r'ed and the other part non-a/red which you lay against black velvet....we have a designer frame with one lens with a/r and the other is "regular"....so, how does everyone feature a/r ?

Thread Information