View Poll Results: Please read the post below.

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree with the statement

13 46.43%
  • I disagree with the statement

15 53.57%

Thread: Politically Incorrect Poll

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Politically Incorrect Poll

Before all you plus Rxs start freaking out, this is a TONGUE IN CHEEK generalization, not a set rule. (Much like the highly popular 'Do you have gay fingers?' poll) We do not need the story of the rocket scientist with a +10.00D Rx. :)

The question is, do you agree with this statement?

On average, people with plus prescriptions are less intelligent than people with minus prescrptions.

It also seems to be linked to strength. When someone comes in with +6.00D or over, you KNOW you're not going to get any sense out of them, even before you have observed the brown jacket, the ancient plastic carrier bag they are clutching and the fact that they have their front door key on a piece of string around their neck.

So, is this bizarre rule of thumb true the world over, or is there just too much in-breeding where I live?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile poll

Maria, i take it you have never been here in the deep south, we have places here where you can get divorced and still be brother and sister.

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hello Maria, I've seen many high minus rx people that are very intelegent, also heard left handed is sign of intelegence

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

So far, the poll is telling us....

So far, the poll is telling us that either,

1. There are more hyperopes than myopes

or,

2. There are a whole lot of folks getting Laser surgery

or

3.there is nothing unusual about having a house key on a string around your neck.

Thats the view from a left handed hyperope. hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not so sure about the left-handedness, the ones I know are evenly split between brain-box and spaz. (Harry, of course, being a brainbox - see the football poll :))

But you are all supposed to vote based on your dispensing experience, not on your personal prescription. You can pretend to yourself that you are the exception to the rule ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think there is a tendancy asuming that we are talking about adults who could also simply seem not to "get it". They have had a history of 1) undetected hyperopia at an early age which has generally challenged their learning curve. and 2) they have largely checked out of the learning process because of the lack of basics and consequential non acceptance by society.

The ones I know who have overcome this challenge, are very knowledgable, and intelegent, proving to me that Intelegence has nearly nothing to do with it but the situation is related to the ability to have access to information easily.

This is why opticians need to be directly involved in vision screening in their communities. Get them before they go to school.

To continue the political uncorrectness - how many blonds do you know who are farsighted? May disprove your point.

On another issue, Have you ever noticed that people who have had a problem with metal frame corrosion are highly likely toeither be or end up diabetic?

Homer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question diabetic

Homer, intersting theory, have you any data or studies relating to that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nothing except about a dozen friends, customers and family members that have confirmed adult-onset diebetes in addition to about 1 customer a month that I feel the freedom to discuss the issue with. I have become rather bould with patients who have tarnished frames badly, consistently asking if they have any bood sugar level fluctuations - encouraging them to have their blood sugar checked. Surprising how many already know they have a blood-sugar problem.

I am convinced there is a connection. These same people will not wear AR well either. The same chemical reaction with the metals also can happen with the metal based AR.

Homer

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chip's Theory

In the days before glasses: Hyperopes became the hunters/seamen. Myopes were the tool makers/craftsmen. After the written word the hyperopes were still the hunters/seamen/warriors. Myopes were the tool makers/craftsmen (read once about a french king who kept myopes in a compound so that they would begat more myopes to make his jewelry). Unfortunately, women were not educated until recently and they had to find otherways to make a living if too myopic to be a scholar.

Chip

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    My wife's a +5.00; I'm a -3.50. Any chance of me voting in this poll?

Seaman hyperopes? Sailors "invented" knitting as an adaption of "knitting" fishing nets. Myopic tendency.

Strong association between myopia and reading (now TV and games too); any corrolation with intelligence? Which came first, the myopia or the interest in reading? My wife, however, is an avid reader finishing somewhere between 100 and 150 books a year. She is also an adicted cross-stitcher.

Maria, I think I read somewhere that somewhere around 1/2 our presidents were left handed (including both Bush and Clinton), a stat way beyond expectations. Wonder what that means?

Bad address email on file

Smilie poll

maria, I know exactly who you are thinking off in relation to your poll. Brown jacket? Key round neck? high plus lenses? I do however object to the comment of in-breeding though as i live in the same area as you! therefore in conclusion i have to agree with you wholeheartedly ( being a minus myself).

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Poll,poll,poll.po..............

Strongly disagree.............................................

People with minus prescriptions are ..............more picky and want perfect jobs..........nothing to do with intelligence

Who the heck invented this polling night.......................

Thread Information