Thread: Embarrasing Moments

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier Embarrasing Moments

:hammer: Thought i would start a thtread on this as i can think of a couple i did myself.
    ........I had a lady buying progressives. explained that i was going to dot up the lenses. saw her flinch as i moved the ink pen near her eye. Told her not to worry as i was going to put the dot on the lens. Didnt realize until too late there was no lens and put a nice blue dot on her eyelid.
    ..............I was dispensing a pair of glasses to an older lady one day, and realized i had to rebend the temples. While taking the glasses off i happen to look to the side as someone said something. Meanwhile her hair got caught in between the temple and the temple cover. Before i knew it i had pulled off a wig.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier

Not too long ago, when I was trying to prefit a frame on a gentleman who was "cutting up" with me, and to make light of the fact that I was having a hard time getting the frame to set properly, I teased, "Did your Mama drop you on your head?" He smiled and said, "No, but I was in a really bad car accident when I was three and I had to have about 70 stitches on my head." After looking at him for a moment, I had to reply, "Well you must have had a mighty fine surgeon, guided by a higher power, because I never would have guessed!"

My lesson: be friendly, but don't tease! You may be closer to the truth than you realize!
    JP

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Nuthin to brag about...let me tell you!

Guess I'm lucky . . . and also a klutz!

I was lucky enough to be the optician for a few celebs. I have a frame framed in a frame and whoever looks at it says "Whats that all about?"

So, I tell them . . . That frame poked Keenan Wynn, the actor, in the eye. What I don't say is that he was a tad smashed at the time . . . and couldn't keep his head straight!

I also missed Gene Kelly's ear by a mile cause I was so nervous putting them on a celeb.

And . . . finally, I tried to take the PD on Sammy Davis after he had incredibly good prosthetic surgery. Now, that was plain stupid!

Hey....but I got the autographs AND a copy of the Rx's!!!

Bad address email on file
    I live in a samll town called Canby, Or. about 30 miles south of Portland. Oregon

Redhot Jumper

It had been one of those really busy days, full moon type day, Young lady was sitting in front of me at the dispensing table with a new rx for bifocals. (her rx -5.00 ou 1.50 add). I am looking at her (with her glasses on) I ask, "So I see you have a new rx for wearing glasses? Ist time wearing glasses huh?" She takes her glasses off and lays them in front of me and says, "No I just wear these to make me look old." I now Look,observe, listen, ...then try to act like I know what I am doing!:hammer:

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Believe It or Not ...

One of our bosses decided to come out and help in dispensing. There was a frame sitting on the bench and he picked it up and asked what was up with it. We told him it needed to be realigned and tightened up. After doing the adjustments, he brought it over to the customer and decided to give the customer some advice one keeping his frames in shape longer before he got a good look at the person. "Don't take your glasses off with one hand. If you use two hands to take them on and off, they won't stretch out." Our general manager finally looked over at the customer and realized the fellow only had one arm. Doh, ... insert foot in mouth.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

THE REASON THEY PUT REFERENCE MARKS ON PALS.
    20 years ago(approximately), we dispensed a Varilux 2 to a fellow, his first time presbyopic lenses. he wore them a couple weeks, came back in and said he could only read with one lens, coule see distance fine with both; checked the glasses, one lens had the seg at the top! needless to say, we made them over asap! and he was happy, still do his work. Amazingly. Oh, a while back, we did a one lens dr. error change on a Silhouette titan frame, made the new lens 3 mm smaller than the old one, she came back in in about 2 months, said her friends thought something looked odd about her glasses?? we made it over to match the other lens...folks shouldn't have while you wait lab work done before 10 am. we all do weird stuff now and then, sure glad it's extremely seldom! Al.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Had a patient with cataract and macular degenerationrepeatedly insist something was wrong with her eyewear. Her MD, our OD and several very skilled opticians checked them out, she had two rrechecks, rx fine or as good as it could be. On visit number six which included another long discussion with the OD and phone call with the MD, the MD said: we all no she cannot be corrected to 20/20 or anywhere close to what she's expecting but humor her. So I walked into the lab behind a VERY soundproof glass wall and discussed the "drawer remake" we were going to do to humour her. You guessed it "she was also almost totally deaf and in spite of being disatisfied she was corrected well enough to read my lips!

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    I had the pleasure of working with a gentleman who came in to get his new eyewear adjusted. I did the ol' "reaching up to check the fit behind his ears" trick but he was wearing a stocking cap - imagine my surprise when I realized he only had ONE ear -

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    About five years ago I was telling a patient how great Flexon frames are...yadda, yadda...and grabbed a frame off the board. To demonstrate how flexable the frame is in the bridge, I folded it in half with one hand. Imagine my suprise when it didn't flex back! I had grabbed the wrong frame! Thankfully, I noticed before he did and was able to salvage the situation. Of course, I can't remember if he bought a Flexon or not...
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Bosses should never come out to help at the counter. Mine did and this is what happened. He was reviewing the job with the customer. The customer asked how much all this would cost. My boss said "it wont cost an arm and a leg". The guy then said, "I hope not, I ve only got one of each left"...and as he hobbled out the door on his one good leg and a prosthetic leg, we stared at his one good arm in disbelief.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy

:( I was dispensing a pair of specs to a middle age lady, who was very well dressed, a lot of jewelery and a big bouiffant hair do. AS i slightly pulled her ear forward to look where the temple was lying, a couple of fleas flew out of the hair.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Back during the 60's.....

Back during the 60's during the "granny" glasses craze, round frames came back into vogue.Not just metals, but zyl too!

Do you have any idea of how much trouble you can get into with Round frames?...A LOT!

90 off was only minor compared with right for left switches. :D :D
    When you think of all the possibilities........you are reading the words written by one who has committed them all!
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Transitions that don't Transit!

Nice lady ordered a set of Silhouette Titan's with Panamic Poly Transitions with the Ziess ET coating. They looked good coming from the lab, so I edged, polished, drilled mounted, checked rx again and dispensed the lenses in 3 days from the order date. She walked out happily in a rainstorm.

Next week when it got sunny, she called and let me know that only one lens darkened. Guess what I did next!!
    Money carefully refunded

Thread Information