Ratings:
    Quality:
    Ease of use:
    Client acceptance (if applicable):
    Customer service of the manufacturer or distributor:
    Value:
    Overall:

Review:
    My love affair with the Varilux Comfort lens began in 1994 when the product was introduced at a seminar in Hyannis. At the time, I was an unhappy progressive non adapter, who had considerable trouble with all hard lens designs. This stemmed from the amount of time I spent on the road and the inability to safely use the side view mirrorrs with progressives. I thought I had sucessfully solved the problem with Sola Smart Segs.

At the seminar we were told that this was a product the consumers had named.Varilux had used the word that most of the trial respondents used when describing the lens. I remember remarking at the seminar, that all the Comfort was, was a “new and improved” lens to separate us from additional money without giving us anything new! In a sucessfull effort to keep me quiet, I was given a complimentary fit by Dave Cuffe who was with Varilux at that time.

I received my first pair and clearly remember looking all around, and being in focus wherever I looked. Honest to Betsy, my first response was, “These ARE comfortable”.I adapted to them right away and loved the ‘soft ‘ design. The Varilux Comfort became my lens of choice at that instant. Followed by the Panamic when frame sizes dictated lower fitting heights. Then came the rimless revolution, and the Comfort, even in Poly, was not suitable for drilling. (Others of you may disagree, but my experience was that the lenses failed on occasion.

It was at this point my “affair” with Trivex began. A totally drillable, light weight, and soft design from 2 manufacturers then became my first and only choice for drilled rimless. My friends at Varilux and Essilor told me I was missing the boat, and you can find most of the banter by running an Optiboard search on Trivex. At the OAM meeting in April, Fran Lynch (Varilux MA., RI. rep and friend) suggested that the Varilux Comfort 1.67 was as “drillable” as Trivex, and arranged for another complimentary fit so that I could test it. I lept at the opportunity to get my Comforts back.

I’ve had them a week, and when I tried them on for the first time, I had the same feeling I enjoyed 9 years ago, but now I was in a rimless mounting, comparing them to my other rimless mountings. Essentially there is no noticeable difference. I weighed them. Trivex 52eye recangular rimless= .5 oz 54 eye same shape just 2 mm bigger+ .7 oz. 2/10ths of an oz doesn’t weigh much! I will leave it to others to say wether or not the eye can detect the difference in abbe values between trivex and 1.67, but I can tell you that I cannot.

My only complaint is that the Comfort 1.67 is not available in Transitions. I understand this is in the works and will be available, but sadly, not in time for this review. In short, the 1.67 Varilux Comfort is a remarkable product, bringing with it all that made its parent a great lens, and adding the ability to be used in the drilled rimless mountings of today,

Would you purchase this product or other products from this company based on your experience with this product?
    Absolutely!
    Last edited by hcjilson; 06-21-2004 at 02:48 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information