Reviewer: Sean

Ratings:
Quality:
Ease of use:
Customer service of the manufacturer or distributor:
Value:
Overall:

Review:
First off I should point out that the price is for both the edger and tracer\auto blocker. I gave this piece of equipment very high marks for it’s initial learning curve and so far…. reliability. Sales rep was in charge of delivery and setup. Company has a recommended calibration interval of once a month; this has been done, even though there has been no apparent need to. Edger can be ordered with different wheel options, glass/plastic-poly/polish. Has auto groove for rimless, as well as safety bevels front/back (all of these options can be user defined i.e. depth of groove and degree of bevel with 4 different user assigned presets each for preference. On board software has been updated since gamma series resolving issues with e-line’s. Also equipped with bar code scanners for both the blocker and edger with an initial memory of 200 orders, which can be upgraded to 400. To this day I’m impressed with the accuracy of this machine. As for company’s assumption that “Just about anyone can run this equipment” is a little off the mark. You need to have the concept of what you are doing and what you are trying to achieve. In short, to think just pushing a series of buttons will result in a perfect pair of glasses should not be the foundation to have a person start working with this piece of machinery.In fact the only thing you will achieve is damaging the machine, as the equipment does have flaws when it comes to inexperience (this can result on any piece of optical equipment mind you). Users should have a good degree of knowledge in the lab. Not unless you would like someone to start edging crown glass on the poly wheel. Yes the machine is hi tech…….but we do have a human equation to work with here. In the hands of someone with experience it is capable of producing an excellent product. I have personally cut lenses from +13.00D to –15.00D along with Bi-Concaves, Aspheric Lenticular’s, Myodisks ……….just to name a few. To consider buying this equipment, I would have to say your work volume should be at least 15 to20 orders per day to be beneficial /cost effective, as the Kappa was made and designed for high output labs. On a final note the Kappa comes fully designed to interface with their line of surfacing equipment as well.