Hi everybody. Hope you're all well.

I have a prospective patient asserting his habitual polarized specs (Shamir progressives in a high wrap Wiley X) are 'laser resistant.' He's ex-military, and I figure they're of course looking hard at this sort of thing. However, though I could easily find non-Rx safety goggles and even 'military grade' specs, I'm unaware of anything of the sort being commercially available for prescription lenses. [These guys did have a model including inserts for prescription lenses behind the goggle: https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppag...ctgroup_id=762 ]

from http://www.health.mil/News/Articles/...nto-the-Future :
LASER DANGER
Lasers are an increasing threat to soldiers. Battlefield lasers can cause flash blindness, corneal hemorrhaging, retinal lesions and burns, and possibly permanent blindness.
"Laser light is coherent, collimated and of a single wavelength, so that your eye focuses it to a very fine spot," Kimball said. "In this way laser light is more intense than regular white light."
Handheld versions of lasers are readily available to anyone, anywhere. Military system-based lasers are also becoming more prevalent on the battlefield. Laser hazards can come from systems such as target designators and laser-range finders.
Current laser protective lens technologies use dyes and/or optical films to absorb or reflect laser energy. Natick researchers are aiming to increase the survivability and mobility of warfighters in situations where lasers pose a threat and/or hazard. They are working to provide protection in low light conditions, especially protection that will work better at night. Their goal is to make laser protection part of a single, multifunctional lens system.
After some very cursory digging, I turned up ANSI Z136.1, which covers 'Safe Use of Lasers' and delineates "classes" of laser emission according to wavelengths and associated risks of exposure. Absent some other parameters bridging that and our own ANSI Z80.1, the term "laser resistant" in spectacle retail seems like nothing but a big can of worms that I can't yet tell anyone has really combed through.

My first guess is that my patient either got his existing lenses through service channels, or more likely is simply confused about what he has. However, before I take my weak guesses back to him, I'd be grateful if someone better illuminated can show me light....