Hey guys/gals,

I need some help here. I am rather new to the industry (2 years in a small lab) and have pretty much learned what I know from a 20+ year experienced lab tech. About 6 months ago he quit on us and I took over most the technical side of the lab. The place I work has fairly dated equipment but we have been upgrading over time. The last few days we have been noticing an off axis problem with our finished glasses. I know the problem is not related to the edger, because the progressive lines and FT28's are dead even in the center (180 degrees) so I think the problem is occuring at the fining area of the lab.

As of now I am using OptiVision software to do my RX input data. I use a manual axis layout machine (the kind with the dial that you set the axis at, and it stamps the ink before surface saving tape is applied). I have a pair of National Optronics Vista 1 generators that I used for cutting. And we are using Optical Works "506" model finer/polishing machines. Our plastic laps are worn so we rely on cutting foam laps for each job... I've been told that may not produce the best results.

Any ideas on what could possibly be causing this axis issue to be so prevailent on some lenses, but non-existant on others? it is happening on roughly 30% of all jobs now.

Please help