Hi All,

I'm an optometrist looking at an opportunity to go work with/for an optician. It's his building, equipment etc. I get fees for services provided, he gets the $ from the optical. In our state, opticians are able to fit CL's, and he has been doing so for years. I will fit my patients with CL's, but he fits CL's on "outside" patients from local ophthalmologists with the infamous "OK for CL's" on the Rx. I won't have anything to do with those outside patients that he fits and I will never see.

How can I "distance" myself from those patients if something goes wrong with the CL's(read ulcer). It's not that I don't trust the opticians abilities, but I'm a firm believer in "John's Law" which states: "If there is a remote chance that someone will get screwed in a given situation, it will be ME!" I'm just trying to protect myself. Also, many of those outside patients have not been dilated. What's my liability for them if some undetected pathology arises (retinal tear, glaucoma etc.)?

Obviously, I feel that I'm not responsible for either of the above scenarios, but since we're both under the same roof, we're both gonna need lawyers. Any pearls on how to best handle this situation???

Also, he does not charge for the CL fitting( nor will I under the current set up) if they purchase their CL's through him. For those of you opticians who fit CL's, is this the norm? I understand why he has done it this way( hoping for the glasses sale along with the CL's), but I hate giving my CL fitting services away.

Thanks,
John Keriotis, O.D.