All right, I have been struggling to fit a patient with progressives and would like some help. the patient first time started with PALs from my store in '05.

rx; -0.50-0.75 x 011
-0.75-1.00 x 175
add +1.25 ou

PAL design: adaptar

new rx sept 2008
rx; -0.50-1.00 x 011
-0.75-1.00 x 176
add +2.00 ou

PAL design: Varilux Comfort

PROBLEM: The patient is complaining that the varilux comfort is blurred much narrower than the adaptor in the intermediate and near zones.

I switched the patient to the comfort because he wanted a better lens overall in terms of using for computer and mid range viewing. The patients is a stock broker and looks at multiple screens repetitively at his desk and above. He was wearing his old adaptars for work but was having trouble reading. He went for an eye exam with same optometrist as past. The patient picked a new frame that is very similar in depth to his old frame. I matched the fit (panto, face form, bc of lens) of the new frame to the old. Fitting height changed from 19mm down to 18mm. I have tried to keep everything as similar in the new pair as the old pair. The only significant change overall is the reading add power. I know the increased add power will increase the distortion in the lens and require him to wear the glasses more than the normal two weeks to get used to. Have I picked the wrong lens type, going from hard design to a soft design? Or is there something else that I should be looking at.

Please help with any suggestions. Patient wants a pal and not just a computer or modified computer glasses.