I had a guy today that picked his frame out with his wife while I was helping another patient. The lenses are too small for him, and the frame sits up too high on his face (plastic frame, no nose pads to adjust.) His had nice big eyes, which sat too close to the outside edge of the lens, and overall it was not a good fit for him. I explained all of these things, showed him everything else we had in a similar style, pointed out the differences in a properly sized frame vs. his choice and everything else I could think of, but he insisted on his initial choice.

What do you do with a patient like that? He needed glasses, but those just were not right for him at all. I can't refuse to serve him, but I don't want anyone knowing I let him out of the store like that! I'm also aware that poor frame selection often leads to remakes, which is never a great thing. How do you force a patient away from a bad choice, short of smacking his knuckles with a ruler or flat out refusing to sell him what he wants?