Ok, more boring sunglass talk.

I think we agree that the sunglass manufacturers have "8 and 9-base fever", and really so do the consumers.

We've discussed limitations on putting higher power lenses in such contraptions, we've discussed Rx-compensation, we've discussed the difficulties and expense involved in wrapped multifocals.

Well, what if we forget about wrap frames for the moment?

Back in the old days (I wasn't there, BTW), I don't think we went around Rx-ing plano suns. I think we sold ophthalmic frames for sunwear. Nerdy, huh?

Ophthalmic frames have some advantages though, such as a larger availability of 6-base frames, better construction in general, better price structure. It kills me to put an expensive polar poly progressive in a less than equal quality plano sunframe, you know?

So, what can be done, here? What about this concept?

There are several sunwear vendors that make ophthalmic lines: Oakley, Nike, Adidas, Bolle, RayBan. Why not display the ophthalmic alongside the plano sun with the concept that the ophthalmic is to be used for Rx dress or sun...Rx'ing the sun frames is OK if "you are in the range"?

I'm thinking you could do sunwear that really looks like sunwear...in fact a lot of ophthalmic frames are related in style. This would allow conventional multifocals, higher power lenses, a higher quality frame to hold expensive lenses, yet provide a "branded" experience and correct styling.

What do you say? Is it time to bring back the ophthalmic frame for Rx sunwear?

(Note: It seems the women's sunwear designs currently offer a nice range of 6-base frames, almost exclusively in zyl. That trend makes it easier for the lady customer than the man, and I'm happy for that. Maybe my idea applies to the guys.)