I didn't want to hi-jack the thread of a "friend" asking for their PD to be taken, I've luckily never been asked for one, but with the subject coming up more often here, I ask, How many of you have ever been asked to give one? If so, how many times?

I'm sure it's coming up here more often simply because more consumers are looking to the internet for convienience, price and a multiple of reasons.

This subject has been gone over ad-nauseum here, The consensus seems to be one of three choices...

1. Just give it to them and hope it brings good will, and repete business.

2. Give it too them and charge for it. Let them know service isn't free.

3. Refuse to do it at all, and explain why.

Personally, I don't like #1. It devalues what we do. As far as repete business, do I really want someone so cheap that they will get their glasses online? Plus, wonder if they don't see good out of them. Do you want to get into the middle of it? Not me brother..

I don't like #2 for many of the reasons I don't like #1. Plus, they'll think you owe them something, because they paid you something. I don't want to adjust, or troubleshoot their cheap glasses. And have to worry about glasses.com to be blaming me why the patient can't see.

I've decided, I'm going with #3. I'm just not gonna do it. And I'm gonna let them know why I won't. Even though I haven't had this request, I think it wise to at least have a plan, and what I'll say...

"Mrs. Smith, my job as an optician is to continue your eyecare and advise you of options and solutions to your visual needs. I can not provide a partial part of the fabrication of your prescription. Measurements can be particular to how a certain frame aligns on your face. There are more factors to giving accurate measurements. I hope you'll understand that I can't contribute to what could be your mis-care."

There, I said it.... I hope i've got a roomful of other patients to hear me. I want to get across the fact that opticians make a difference on overall satisfation. That we are critical in providing optimal solutions and optics for their visual needs..

Whatever your views are on this, I would suggest we all get a policy for dealing with it, pick your poison. It's happened to fellow Optiboarders, we're next..

p.s. i know some states require this to be included, if so, you're s.o.l. ......