I asked Steve to sticky the thread, partly so its in everyone's face, and partly to keep it as a "master thread" so other threads like this one) can be started on related subjects without making the main thread to long and convoluted. There has been some more attention paid to third world eyecare again, so I have another proposal. A colleague of mine, a former instructor with a local College's Ophthalmic Dispensing program, returned from an Opticianry school in Cuba. He reported that the school was so short on texts and equipment it was a miracle they were able to learn at all. In keeping with recent discussions about the need for sustainable eyecare in developing nations, and the emphasis on training nationals, I propose we find a school, or schools, that already exist in developing countries, round up tools, texts, equipment, and any other related materials, and send them to these institutions. I know optiboarders have TONS of stuff that would be appreciated by some of these schools, and I only ask any donations be serviceable, and in good working order. Cost of shipping can be a major problem, but let's see if we can round up some stuff, and find a suitable school.
I'll start the ball off with a really nice lensometer, not a B&L 70, but similar to it, in good working order. ( Cost of shipping ) Anyone know of a deserving optician school?