Hello,
I brand new here, but there seems to be some knowledgeable folks around, so I was wondering if I could get some help.
I was reading the older threads about AR coatings, and was wondering how they apply to scratch-resistance coatings.

My problem is this: I’ve redeemed my scratch “warranty” ($25 per lens) twice now over about 18 months. I’m fixing have to do it again, too, but before I do and get upset with my Drs office, I think I should be a little better informed.
I know nothing is scratch “proof”, but I don’t know what I’m doing to scratch them up so badly. I’ve got dozens of light scratches in all different directions on both lenses. When I need to, I use the cleaning cloth they provided most of the time, but sometimes I will use my cotton t-shirt if I’ve got a smudge I have to deal with in the meantime. For instance, this morning I noticed a small speck on one of the lenses and used my finger to lightly brush it off, and it left a long scratch in the exact line my finger traveled. They’ve never been dropped, sat on, etc. I wear them all day, and they sit on the night stand while I sleep.
So…
1) I guess I need to know if I’m being naïve, but I would think a scratch resistance lens should offer a little more protection than I’m getting. Thoughts?
2) Could it be possible that the scratches are coming from the AR coating, instead? When I replace these lenses, if I asked them to leave off the AR coating, would that help? I have no idea who or what the AR is made/applied by.

If this was just a couple a scratches over a year, I wouldn’t worry, but my last pair of glasses had at least 4 scratches in them within a week. I’m up to more than I can count now (since April), I can see them when I wear them, and it’s starting to get distracting. I’m beginning to wonder if my provider is shady, or if I’m just doing something insanely wrong. Let me say I’ve just started wearing glasses, and have nothing to compare to. (The only reason I mention the reputability of my provider is because my very first pair of glasses I only replaced one of the lenses. The replacement lens was re-scratched with hundreds of small scratches over about 10 months, but the original lens was still almost perfect. Something had to be different, but I don’t know what – I asked and all I got was “hmmm”)

If I can be even just a little more informed when I revisit my Dr, I’m sure it would help.

Thanks,
Jason