I find this a peculiar nomination. First, after the Brown embarrassment you would think Bush would not open himself up to another cronyism charge. Ms Miers appears to be a fine woman, but the fact is her main qualification is her relationship with W. Pity, Roberts was IMO a very solid candidate, this is back to business as usual.

Second, I think Rove is off his game. The smart play would have been to nominate a fire breathing far right winger. This would mollify the base and a good knock down, drag out over this, nuclear option and all, would not have been a bad thing for a demoralized conservative movement, nothing like a big fight with the other side to mend the wounds within--and would have knocked other news--DeLay, Frist, FEMA etc--off the front page for a while and given the WH some breathing room. Were I a far rightie, I would be royally ****** off about this. After all, this is the swing vote and I think I smell a Sueter.

Bill Kristol is close to suicidal!!! It will be amusing to watch the 180 degree turn with some right wingers--how dare the Dems try to ascertain Roberts POV on Roe v Wade? Well watch how what was only last week derided as a "litmus test" will now mysteriously morph into the absolute right of the people to know.
Oh politics really is show business for ugly people!!!!:cheers: