A lesson well learned in the school of hard knocks - the best teacher there is.

A recent post by drk ( http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12972 ) prompts me to send this along for your consideration. Since I am retired, my interest in this subject goes far beyond mere academic discussion.

In drk’s post he stated:

“Makes you wonder whether American business can be trusted to dole out retirement benefits, or we have to go nationalized.”

I have never wondered about these issues. I was brought up with a “profound knowledge” concerning government. One axioms of that knowledge is that while we do need some government we will pay a price for it. It will be the most inefficient and wasteful method to perform a function. I was also given “profound knowledge” about human nature. I was taught that I am responsible, in large part, for my actions and therefore my place in life.

In my working life I was enrolled in six pension plans. I received benefits in the form of minor cash distributions when I left the company from only two of these plans. Three of the plans just disappeared, the employer discontinued them and retained the funds. The last plan was absorbed by bankruptcy court when my employer went belly up. So, I don’t trust my golden years to my employer. Well, how about the guvmint?

For the last 18 years of my working life I made the maximum contribution to Social Security. I was also self employed for quite a few of those years so my contribution was doubled. I now receive a check for $1615.00 a month. Now don’t get me wrong. I ain’t complaining. In fact, I am amazed that I get even that amount from Uncle Sam. It's just that I will have to live to the age of 232 to get back my contribution to Social Security. Lets face the facts. You are going to get screwed by both the government and your employer. Quite simply, they are not responsible for you welfare – you are.

So, I am going to take this opportunity to change drk’s statement to the one below:

Makes you wonder whether American business can be trusted to dole out retirement benefits, or we have to go nationalized, or we take personal responsibility for our own welfare.

Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com