For several reasons, I've been closely following the ratification process for the EU constitution. While I think it is economically best for the US to have the constitution defeated (and Europe less united), I am thunderstruck that the citizens of France and the Netherlands could be so myopic in their political vision!

I suppose I can now understand the feelings of some of my French friends who could not comprehend how Americans could vote for W. It seems patently obvious to me that unification of Europe would benefit Europeans in the long run.

Anyway, recent events also make me ponder whether the American constitution would have been ratified under the auspices of today's media. The state representatives had a hard enough time reaching the compromises that went into the constitution. Can you imagine the difficulties if all the citizens of the various states had constant updates on the content of the constitution- as well as an endless diatribe from those opposed to its passing.

I'm not suggesting that the media- or the First Amendment- is a bad thing. I'm simply wondering if a totally informed public is really amenable to cooperation among peoples. Of course, there are other issues the Europeans have to deal with that the Founding Fathers didn't have to contend with. Namely, completely established individual governments with different philosophies of governance.