Thread: Thanks again to my friends in California...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thanks again to my friends in California...

Warning: The following is a conservative rant posted solely to take a weight off my chest. You probably shouldn't even waste time reading it- it exists solely as a therapeutic device for the author...

I recognize and freely admit that I am a bit of a "political junkie." I confess that I've actually taped sessions of CSPAN so I could catch a proceeding in the House or Senate. To the laboratory technicians that worked for me in York, PA during the Clarence Thomas hearings, I apologize for forcing you to listen to NPR's complete coverage of those proceedings...

All this is to explain why I probably have stronger emotional reactions to certain members of Congress than is normal (or perhaps even healthy for one's mental state). Through the years, I've developed a list of favorites (which have come from both sides of the aisle). Among them have been Sen. Moynihan, Rep. Barbara Jordan, Sen. Biden, Sen. Hatch, and- my all time most esteemed- Sen. Alan Simpson.

I've naturally also developed a list of "least favorite" (which also includes members of both parties). Through years of watching our Congress in action, however, no Senator or Representative has been as consistent a source of personal angst as the current junior Senator from California- Sen. Barbara Boxer. While I can handle the fact that her politics are pretty much diametric to my own, it is ardous for me to understand the bile, ignorance, and sophistry with which she inevitably expresses herself. Beyond all others, she seems to have a singular talent for finding the most malapropos moment, issue, and method of expression. I can only suppose that she has some over-riding anger at the world in general which clouds her ability to reason and communicate in a logical or civil manner.

Which brings me to the fount of this particular (and now waxing lengthy) rant. While I understand that confirmation hearings are supposed to be somewhat acrimonious, most senators follow the general rules of political Jeopardy by making at least a pretense of railing at nominees in the form of an actual question. With the inauguration of a Republican president at hand, I also expect a bit more bile than normal in confirmation hearings. That allowed, the demeanor of Sen. Boxer during the confirmation hearing for our future Secretary of State (Dr. Condoleezza Rice) is simply inexcusable.

I personally cannot recall a more inappropriate and ill-timed attack during a confirmation hearing (including some of the Judicial Committee hearings for nominees to the Supreme Court- which often get quite personal). Perhaps the Senator simply wanted to examine how the future Secretary will handle the potentially obnoxious behaviour of foreign diplomats- if this was her scheme, forgive my misinterpretation. Given previous discourses by this particularly inept and impotent member of the Senate, however, I somehow doubt this was her intention.

In a state with so many people, I cannot believe there isn't someone better capable of representing the Golden State than this irritating shrew. Yes, the majority of Californians (in the cities, anyway) are liberal. Fine, send another gentleman or lady like your Senior Senator Feinstein. She is certainly as liberal as they come- but at least she conducts herself with a certain level of decorum in the process of promoting the liberal agenda.

Republicans have also sent some socially inept individuals to Congress (actually, I think one of the worst specimens was a Republican Rep from CA as well- but I forget his name... he was voted out about 6-8 years ago), but Sen. Boxer beats anything I've ever seen. Personally, I'll be glad to see her retire someday (either willingly or by vote).

PS- I see Kerry has decided to reappear. I guess his concillatory words after the election were as founded as most of his other statements during the campaign. It looks like we have a Senate that is determined to be at war for the next 2 years.

PPS- Congratulations to Dr. Rice on what should be an eventual confirmation. Being a big girl, I'm sure she sees these attacks for what they are- the snipings of a defeated party.
    Last edited by Pete Hanlin; 01-19-2005 at 09:51 AM.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Thread Information