Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bifocal Conversion- announcing Varilux LIBERTY

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Bifocal Conversion- announcing Varilux LIBERTY

When was the last time you had a 40-something new presbyope walk into your office asking for Flat-Top bifocals? Its probably been a while. Over the past decade, PAL sales have steadily- if slowly- risen as more and more Baby Boomers slipped into middle age. However, with most of the "Boomers" already in their 40s, you will be finding less and less "new" presbyopes in your practice over the next few years.

Which brings our attention to another question... When was the last time you seriously tried to convert a segmented bifocal wearer into a PAL wearer? This has also probably been a rare occurance if your office is like most... Surveys of eye care practitioners have indicated that 80% of segmented multifocal sales are made to people already wearing this type of correction.

This indicates that- although the industry has done a good job at reliably capturing emerging presbyopes- established segmented multifocal wearers have been pretty much overlooked. Since only 51% of America's presbyopes are wearing PAL designs (that's right- about 1/2 of the presbyopes in a typical practice are still wearing segmented bifocals), the "growth market" for PALs is going to shift from emerging presbyopes to established/non-converted presbyopes. You can "write these patients off" and accept stagnation in revenue growth (average # of units sold continues to hold steady and even decline for the private practice), or you can choose to invest in your practice and promote quality products which produce better vision for your patients and better returns for your practice!

Ah yes, but most of these patients have already tried PALs without success, you may say. To that, Essilor and Varilux offer a new solution- Varilux Liberty. Varilux Liberty is not a replacement for the world leading Varilux Comfort or advanced design Varilux Panamic. Instead, it has been specifically designed to meet the needs of segmented multi-focal wearers. Featuring Instant Reading PowerTM, Varilux Liberty offers the segmented bifocal wearer a visual experience that is similar to their current correction- without the negative performance and cosmetic effects of the segment line.

Instant Reading PowerTM means the focus of this design is a reading zone that is easily and quickly aquired by the wearer. Instant Reading Power is a perfectly balanced coefficient measuring key lens design features for optimal reading. Instant Reading Power measures near vision width, near vision softness, and near vision binocularity. The result is a PAL lens that is particularly suited to the visual needs and habits of segmented bifocal wearers.

Your local authorized Varilux distributor should have Varilux Liberty around August 9th, and the original materials will be CR-39 and Airwear (polycarbonate). If your PAL sales have begun to flatten out, its time to quit ignoring the 50% of your presbyope base that is still wearing segmented lenses (that's right- only 51% of American presbyopes wear PALs). For those patients who have "tried PALs before," give them another chance at better vision and better cosmetics and fit Varilux Liberty.

Just to clarify, this information is coming from someone who is definitely (and proudly) associated with Essilor/Varilux, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have about the technical aspects of the product.
    Last edited by Pete Hanlin; 07-09-2004 at 10:25 AM.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Sounds interesting

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    OK, Pete, So when is this new lens design going to be available? It does sound like a good niche product that is needed. what materials will it be available in? can it be Crizal/Alize processed? Transitions? Priced comparable to Comforts? need to know...

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I went back and highlighted the launch info from the original post... Varilux Liberty should arrive at your local authorized Varilux distributor by August 9th in both 1.50 and Airwear (polycarbonate). Although firm dates for future materials have not been released as of this date, I will say a Transitions lens will naturally be following. Also, the lens should be Crizal compatible at- or extremely soon after- launch (I'll check on this, but I'm sure the product has been pre-qualified by the Crizal team).

Regarding pricing, alas- I am only a humble technical support person and do not make such determinations either for Essilor or your local laboratory. However, I would say the product should be in the same price range as Varilux Comfort.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Pete,

This sounds similar to Smart Seg. Will the Liberty have a segment line? Or is it a PAL with a very very short corridor? Finally is the width comparable to a FT? That is really the general barrier you get with a FT wearer. It is an issue of width. I was really amazed that only 51% of the population wears a PAL. I looked at last years number and I did total of 44 FT all year. Wow! I'm even surprised the number was that high. Ahh, the advantages of a working in a high tech environment!!!:)
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    This sounds similar to Smart Seg. Will the Liberty have a segment line? Or is it a PAL with a very very short corridor? Finally is the width comparable to a FT? That is really the general barrier you get with a FT wearer.
    Varilux Liberty is a Progressive Addition Lens, so there is no line. Although the focus of the design is not in providing a short corridor, having accessible reading relatively high in the corridor is one of the factors that went into allowing the wearer to access their near vision with ease.

As with all PAL designs, the spherical area associated with the reading power will not be as wide as a FT28. However, even the individual who prefers FT wear is not responding so much to the width of the segment (in reality, the wearer uses a comparatively small section of the segment for reading). The FT wearer is "used" to easy and defined access to the reading power. For a patient who is accustomed to a definitive area of reading, the most important aspect of a PAL's design is the ability of the wearer to quickly and easily determine the area of the lens they need to use for reading. This is the strength of Varilux Liberty.

There are other factors which come into play once a patient is accustomed to vision through a PAL lens- these involve mainly the periphery and intermediate portions of the lens. The segmented multifocal wearer, however, is accustomed to a different set of compromises (involving image displacement and jump). Varilux Liberty is designed to be a bridge to assist the patient to cross over from a correction that provides exceptionally well-defined but harshly deliniated zones (segmented multi-focals) to a lens that balances distance, intermediate, and near vision with the peripheral needs of the wearer (advanced PALs like Varilux Comfort & Panamic).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    As with all PAL designs, the spherical area associated with the reading power will not be as wide as a FT28. However, even the individual who prefers FT wear is not responding so much to the width of the segment (in reality, the wearer uses a comparatively small section of the segment for reading). The FT wearer is "used" to easy and defined access to the reading power. For a patient who is accustomed to a definitive area of reading, the most important aspect of a PAL's design is the ability of the wearer to quickly and easily determine the area of the lens they need to use for reading. This is the strength of Varilux Liberty.
    You are right Pete. That is truly the resistance that a FT wearer is speaking of. The ease of accesss to their reading area. This Liberty sounds like a short corridor lens with virually no intermediate. Would it be not simpler to use a short corridor design as I have on many occassions in this exact circumstance. Is this not the objective the new Ellipse?
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The Varilux Liberty does not have a corridor as short as Varilux Ellipse. Really, the designs aren't very comparable (in the same way that a Humvee isn't really too comparable with a Nissan 350Z- both perform well in the proper setting, but...).

Most flat-tops do provide a reading area that is higher than the near vision zone of a PAL. However, the characteristic of the segment that is most visually noticeable to most patients is not the height, but the definition of near viewing area. The FT wearer doesn't have any "searching" involved with near vision- its obviously right in that little "D." Varilux Liberty was designed to provide quick "pickup" of an obvious and accessible area for near vision.

As previously mentioned, every PAL design ends up as a compromise between various factors. The manufacturer can try to balance all of the characteristics out to provide a generally well-accepted progression (such as with Varilux Comfort and Varilux Panamic). Another approach is to take the well-defined needs of a particular type of situation- as is the case with specialty progressives, such as Varilux Ellipse (for short corridors), Varilux Liberty (for those used to a segmented lens), Nikon On-Line (for computer or intermediate/near work), and so on.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Does it offer any intermediate area, or strictly a distance, and a near?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

varilux liberty

I had all the paperwork from essilor today, they are suggesting Liberty be used as an entry level varifocal,particularly to patients who are price sensitive.
    it is priced lower than comfort.
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like the marketing department was telling the technicians and engineers how to design an ophthalmic lens. I'd bet the bar bill was a big'un that night.

Robert

Smilie

Thats the smartest thing anyone has said around here in a long time. Kudos robert!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Does it offer any intermediate area, or strictly a distance, and a near?
    There is an intermediate (i.e., it is not simply a "blended" lens), however, the emphasis of the lens is easy aquisition of the reading power to ease adaptation of current segmented bifocal wearers.

I had all the paperwork from essilor today, they are suggesting Liberty be used as an entry level varifocal, particularly to patients who are price sensitive. It is priced lower than Comfort.
    To which paperwork are you referring? The launch letter went out yesterday with the laboratory pricing. The pricing is very close to Comfort, and I didn't see anything in there about using the lens to appeal to price sensitive presbyopes.
    Last edited by Pete Hanlin; 07-09-2004 at 10:35 AM.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

I had all the paperwork from essilor today, they are suggesting Liberty be used as an entry level varifocal, particularly to patients who are price sensitive. It is priced lower than Comfort.
    To which paperwork are you referring? The launch letter went out yesterday with the laboratory pricing. The pricing is very close to Comfort, and I didn't see anything in there about using the lens to appeal to price sensitive presbyopes.
    Pete i am referring to the new inserts for the essilor catalogue giving technical
    and price information about liberty .here is exacly what it says.
    "varilux Liberty
    for price sensitive wearers The general acceptance of varifocals is such that few opticians have problems convincing presbyopic wearers to use varifocals rather than bifocals or even 2 pairs of spectacles.The price however can be the main hurdle for those on a lower budget and who want the best. That is why varilux Liberty will be welcomed by price conscious wearers who will still have access to the best varifocal brand. "

cant be much more equivical than that, the cost price for uncoated orma uncuts in liberty is around 60% less than comfort. I will send you a PM with
    the quoted prices ,they will be in pounds

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Thanks for the clarification- the marketing literature you are referring is from the UK, I'm presuming.

In the US, the marketing of Varilux Liberty is geared solely towards bifocal conversion benefits of the product's design, without emphasis on gearing towards a price-sensitive market. There are currently plenty of lower cost, spiffed, and otherwise incentived products in the US market.

Thanks again for specifying the material source. Understandably, I don't see the marketing pieces for all the non-US markets, so I hadn't seen the piece to which you refer.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    pete it is interesting how the same product can be marketed differently in
    different parts of the world.
    mind you , the quarter pounders we get in the UK from MC Ds, taste nothing like
    the US ones ( more's the pity):cheers:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    True, true... Actually- though I've yet to have the priviledge of visiting the UK- I was amazed at how tasty the McD menu was in France (where they refer to this American icon as "McDueh").My favorite variation was the white sauce for the fries! I'm sure the UK version is probably pretty similar (after all, British and French culture are virtually the same, right?)...
    ;)
    Seriously, unless one has 3 hours to properly enjoy the pace of a French dining experience, McD is your only fast alternative (that or a crepe purchased from a street side vendor... mmm, I'm getting hungry).

Hopefully, regardless of the marketing message, the result is a product that gives the practitioner another tool to convert their patients to a better form of vision correction. In your market, it sounds like you will be getting a price break on the product as well- all the better!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    True, true... Actually- though I've yet to have the priviledge of visiting the UK- I was amazed at how tasty the McD menu was in France (where they refer to this American icon as "McDueh").My favorite variation was the white sauce for the fries! I'm sure the UK version is probably pretty similar (after all, British and French culture are virtually the same, right?)...
    ;)
    Pete the Brits and the French have deep cultural differences, or should I say
    the English and the French, being a Scotsman we get on very well with the french.
    This goes back to the Norman conquests in 1066 and the Battle of Waterloo
    in the 18th century.
    If you ever make it the Uk (perhaps you can squeeze a research trip out of Essilor) give me a call and i will introduce you to some great British Beers you
    can also try our national dish (not fish and chips anymore) but
    Chicken Tikka Massalla

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most flat-tops do provide a reading area that is higher than the near vision zone of a PAL. However, the characteristic of the segment that is most visually noticeable to most patients is not the height, but the definition of near viewing area. The FT wearer doesn't have any "searching" involved with near vision- its obviously right in that little "D." Varilux Liberty was designed to provide quick "pickup" of an obvious and accessible area for near vision.

Pete,

It almost sounds like you've made the reading portion stand out by intentionally blurring the periphery. Am I interpretting this incorrectly.

How is the peripheral distance vision? Does any distortion creep up above the 180 line?

Are contour plots available?

Bad address email on file
    Thank you for all the information regarding the Liberty. I work Customer Service at one of the Essilor Labs in the US and was curious if there is a recommend fitting height for the Liberty. Also, will there be any problems with this lens going into a small B-measurement frame? I know our customers will be asking!

Bad address email on file

Thumbs up

This is great! But what am I going to do with all of the double Bifocal and Quad

wearers????

shutterbug

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can always try to glue 2 lenses together!

One with the add on the top and the other with the add on the botom. Only one line.......

To that, Essilor and Varilux offer a new solution- Varilux Liberty.
    I can't help but notice the name... The answer to the French backlash? I'll have some liberty fries with my V. Liberty please!:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Pete,

It almost sounds like you've made the reading portion stand out by intentionally blurring the periphery. Am I interpretting this incorrectly?

How is the peripheral distance vision? Does any distortion creep up above the 180 line?

Are contour plots available?
    Pete,

I'd like your input on my concerns (above), before I recommend the Liberty.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've been reading this thread but haven't been able to nail down how this lens benefits the existing FT patient. It sounds like you've gotten rid of the line, but there is not much of an intermediate zone. Where's the benefit?

The main problem with most progressive non-adapts is the inability of the wearer to cope with the narrower zone of clear vision plus periperal astigmatism and aberations induced by the lens. I've found that many easily convert to a SmartSeg without a problem as there is zero astigmatism induced at distance. I've been surprised that a newer generation SmartSeg was never developed.

If this lens is still progressive throughout (and it sounds like a popular older style lens with a hard design), the peripheral astigmatism must still be present and the classic non-adapters will still have problems.

I'll try it once I understand it better.

Thread Information