4. Do you think people in general can
    tell the difference between a Varilux Panamic
    or lets say an Adaptar.
    Lets hear your comments.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1. I like it

2. I like it because of the warranty, spiffs, and because my rep is good looking. The Essilor company takes very good care of me.

3. There is no best progressive out there. There is only a best progressive for the patient's needs. Yes there is hype, but isn't that called marketing?

4. Some people can tell the difference between progressives and some can't. Just depends on the Rx and how sensitive the patient is. Some people can tell a .25 diopter change in Rx and some can't. Just depends on the patient. We have to use informed consent. Inform the patient about the new product, what it is supposed to do, and let them make the choice as to whether it is better or not.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    I have fit Variluxs since '78, the V2's, Infinity, the Comfort and now the Panamic..the Adaptar is like the V2, a good lens, but they've learned a lot about pal design in the last 25 years.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Slate83 and Al offer some good advice. Coincidently, I'm now reading a paper by David Pope, of SOLA, entitled, "Progressive Addition Lenses: History, Design, Wearer Satisfaction and Trends" conveniently found by clicking on the "Downloads" area to your left. If you finish that, and understand it too, you're going to be a very dangerous optician! Be sure to note the quote at the bottom of the 6th page, "most satisfactory response was associated with those practitioners whose own enthusiasm for variable focus lenses was greatest." That seems to be a constant in successful dispensing...and a possible explanation why an older lens design, like Adaptar, can be successful in the hands of one who believes in that PAL.

[This message has been edited by Jim G (edited 04-17-2001).]

Occupation
    Optical Retail

I've found over the past 30 years in optics that the best PAL is the one where I don't get hassle from patients, the sort of lens that when the finished job is picked up, you don't see the Pt for 2 - 3 years.

Over this time, it's really only been Zeiss Gradal HS and more recently Top that has come out the winner. Most Essilor and Sola products failed this test!

One year ago came the big hype of Panamic, and I made a pair for myself, mainly as I'd fallen in love with a stupid small frame that only gave me 17mm depth below the pupil.

Well, I have to admit from the first moment I put these on it was like having natural vision once more, no upper distortions (helped by the small frame) and wide and generous intermediate and near fields.

BTW this new pair is identical Rx to my old Gradal Top but much more comfortable in use.

After one year and many hundreds of pairs dispensed I can seriously say this is one of the best lenses we have ever used in our stores.

(Essilor, please send commision to the usual address!!)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

I've been wearing Panamic for well over a year now and it is my personal choice for general use BUT, the minute I come into the office, I immediately switch to my Access (mounted in a non-fashionable 36mm B dimention frame). Now, that's the closest I come to "natural" vision. And, I can see well enuf from the top 5-10 mm's to negotiate my way around work as well...even forgot I had 'em on and drove home one nite. (I'm -3.25 -2.25 +2.25)

Anyone else use these things?

Rising Star
    Slate,

Your rep must be Amy...am I right?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are exactly right, pedseye. She is the best damn rep out there. She has taken very good care of me and knows what this thing is all about.

Essilor did a great thing by hiring her.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Panamic is an excellent lens. To say its the best is tough, I'd say it is comparable to the Hoya wide. Those 2 seem the best to me.
    I've had clients that I've upgraded from an Adaptar lens and other older generation lenses to the Hoya Wide and they can very much tell the difference. Much wider reading area, much cleaner distance too.

TO JIM G.
    (minute I come into the office, I immediately switch to my Access mounted in a non-fashionable 36mm B)
    same here mine 34B and I use them all ady for reading and intermed.

Bill

Bad address email on file marblez's Avatar

Thumbs up panamic

I have had my panamics for about a month and love them. They were done w/The Nikon pkg and they are great.

I have a -6.00-.50 ou w/1.75 add and I can tell a difference between them and my Naturals and Adaptor. Channel is easier and the reading not hard to find.

This is the most natural vision I have had in a while....I say good job to Essilor..........:D

christina

Thread Information