Thread: VSP vs. Opticians

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Does anybody know what ever happened with the challenge of VSP not allowing an Optician to be a provider? Last I heard VSP said the Optical had to be at least 51% owned by an O.D. or M.D. to be a provider.
    I hear they are a bear to work with anyway, and for little profit. It may not even be worth the hassle.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea

Yes, to put it plainly they absolutely stink. Your"dispensing fee" is 35.00. Wow, slightly more than Medicaid. And for a "non-profit" organization they are HUGELY rich, not wanting to share the wealth even a little. Last time I looked they were the richest "non-profit" organization in the USA.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you know what VSP stands for??? Very Stupid Plan!! LOL!! I sure don't miss doing that one.

Steph

Bad address email on file

Knock them if you will, but they pay TONS more than many other vision plans.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exclamation

How do you figure they pay more?

OptiBoard Professional

We use VSP. Like any other plan you have to do a lot to make it pay. The Doctor and I have gone over the payments we have recieved
    and it's more than we get on other plans. The trick is you have to do a lot of them.

[This message has been edited by rfish777 (edited 04-13-2001).]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Matthew
    VSP pays doctors for sneezing.
    As an optician you can only be paid for a few services and products. But, if you are a doctor with a "veritable plethora" of services, etc. you can make some money off them.
    VSP historically (sp?) or is it hysterically, has been a doctor based benefit provider.

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The part I'll never understand is patients are grilled regarding potential insurance coverage before they even see the doctors. After seeing the doctors they stroll into the dispensary and order glasses. We process the orders in most cases same day when the patient comes to pick up there glasses they suddenly realize OH I'VE GOT VSP. Heres my question is this problem unique to our office and how is it handled???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, your place is not alone. In the department of rude, our good lord dispersed these people evenly throughout the country. Perhaps there are even a few more down here in the retirement state of Florida.

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar

Actually, I think this forgetfulness is pretty common & not just specific to VSP. I have seen a couple of different things that work. If you have a doctor next door, the office personnel can help by "coding" a little note at the bottom of the rx form. I've even seen little post-it-notes used. I currently work in a practice where we make it part of the conversation early on to inquire if we are going to be billing any insurance on their behalf.

Hope this helps...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I always thought that an Optometrist has to be 100% owner of the practice
    And they want proofs
    Have fun

As far as back billing, I tell the patient that only certain labs can do VSP (which is true), and so we must be aware of VSP before the fact. I tell them that I can backdate bill the order, and then just return to them what VSP pays (I did this recently for a woman that spent over $400 at my office. She got a check for $160 back and was fine with it.) I am new at this, but VSP has done wonders to keep my practice flowing while I am building it. Unfortunately, Davis has a strong presence with a large company nearby. I am on their panel for now to get money flow, then plan on dropping their sorry butts in a year or 2.

OptiBoard Professional

We have found the same thing, most people haven't a clue on what insurance they have or don't have. We always' ask when their on the phone to make an appointment what type of insurance do they have. That has worked quite well. In N.Y. we have Blue Choice, VSP,
    Davis,Preferred Care etc..,another words we put up with a lot of insurance and it's growing.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Utah O.D. Why does your statement sound like so many Opthalmologists who come into town fresh out of school and say: "I'm going to have an ethical practice, I'm not going to dispense glasses or contact lenses and I don't think a doctor should have a financial interest in filling his Rx's." Then after two years when he independent opticians have sent him enough patients to keep his appointments scheduled for months in advance. Lo and behold the good doctor is in the dispensing business and it's no longer unethical.

Chip "Been burned too often" Anderson

Oh I dispense and need it. I actually like doing it for now. I see nothing wrong with it at all. My practice does everything - exam, glasses, contacts, etc.

Thread Information