Thread: Shamir Shamir Shamir Shamir

Question Shamir Shamir Shamir Shamir

I have learned the following about Shamir in my opinion and expirience, and would like to hear more... Preferably from Shamir or people that do tons of it...

Office is an awesome Lens
    Piccolo feels soft to the wearer, albiet a short corridor
    Genesis comes in 1.60 trans
    We have had next to no problems with Shamir product ever
    Optics are awesome

Also:
    I have heard Shamir manufactures molds for themselves and other comapnies. Where is this true, and for who...

Shamir is also heavily involved in free form lens technology. To what extent?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Established in 1971 Shamir Optical Industry (R&D side) has made molds for years (but I don't know who exactly for...)and I think developed countour plot photo technology. Shamir Insight was established in 97 ( in San Diego). Check out their website shamirlens.com for good info
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by mrba
    Also:
    I have heard Shamir manufactures molds for themselves and other comapnies. Where is this true, and for who...

Take a look at their web site, thats the best way. I'm sure you dont need a link to it as its easy enough to find via any search engine. They have one of the better optical sites in terms of info carried.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Molds ....................

From their website

Shamir Optical Industry specializes in the design and manufacture of sophisticated, prestige, progressive and aspheric molds. Offering several generic mold designs available in different sizes and base curves, Shamir has molds that can be easily adapted to customer needs by changing the invisible markings, edge configuration, thickness, etc. Aside from "off-the-shelf" molds, Shamir is known for its ability to optically design tailor-made molds meeting precise customer requirements regarding size, base curves, markings and other properties. Shamir Optical Industry's technological expertise, attention to detail, and its resolve to deliver products on time, makes it the source for special progressive and aspheric lens designs. Shamir Optical Industry places a heavy emphasis on Research & Development. Its staff of highly qualified engineers and physicists works closely with mathematicians from Israel's world-renowned Technion-Israel Institute of Technology. In addition to its scientific investigations into the development of sophisticated molds, Shamir's R&D department provides a client support system that guides customers through every step of the production process.
    As far as I learned there not many companies making glass molds for casting plastic lenses.

Therfore we could assume they have a very large market share and could make moulds just about for all major lens manufacturers. So maybe your favorite progressive lens make could come out of one of their molds.

:angry:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrba
    I have learned the following about Shamir in my opinion and expirience, and would like to hear more... Preferably from Shamir or people that do tons of it...

Office is an awesome Lens
    Piccolo feels soft to the wearer, albiet a short corridor
    Genesis comes in 1.60 trans
    We have had next to no problems with Shamir product ever
    Optics are awesome

Also:

Mrba,

All that you posted is fact as far as I have been able to ascertain over the years. I have used Shamir exclusively for nearly 3 years now and I can honestly say that I have not had a problem with either the lens, company or their sales force. Office is indeed a spectacular lens. I average about 5 a month. Our office is only 2 blocks from the edge of Microsoft's Redmond campus plus all the other IT that is in the area. My DR is PRIO certified so we do a lot of computer Rx. Have tried all the others but Office works the best, has the widest range of power shifts and only needs to be available in a high index. I have heard from a source that they will be releasing it in Poly in the near future.

As for the Picollo, my Dr upon putting on his first pair said "This is the most SV like lens I have ever worn" I thought that spoke volumes for the product. Product range is awesome and I have not run into any BO issues. I can not recommend the product more and know that all your customers will be very happy with the results.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company