Thread: Essilor Naturals vs. Varilux Comfort, same?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Essilor Naturals vs. Varilux Comfort, same?

This post is only coming after a debate in my shop when a doctor that works for me was adamant that Naturals and Comfort lenses are entirely different. I chose to disagree only on the basis that back in 1997-1998 when I was introduced to Naturals and began ordering them. At that time something odd happened, I would receive boxes with "Essilor Naturals" clearly labeled, only to find "Varilux Comfort" lenses inside the box.

Confused, I contacted my buyer who in turn contacted the rep at the time for Essilor whose response from the factory was this...they were the same lenses in every sense with the exception of the stamping of ink and markings. A step further in explanation from the tech at the factory indicated that the lenses were all cast from the same molds, and at the end of the production run, they were boxed some incorrectly.

Has anyone else run into this, I would love to learn the truth whether they are indeed the same or entirely different.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Optigman

A step further in explanation from the tech at the factory indicated that the lenses were all cast from the same molds, and at the end of the production run, they were boxed some incorrectly.

Lens mnaufacturers have done that forever. American Optical and Bausch & Lomb used to do this 40 years ago. I assume the practise is continuing. The explanation in the old days's was that it was cheaper to make a second brand with the curves ( moulds in today's age) than develop a totally other version of lens.

It is done in every domaine of business. Soaps, Laundry Detergents, Food, Drinks and so forth.

Color the product slightly different, change the smell and the name, use another packaging and the same products are sold many times over to consumers at different price categories.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Chris...this was exactly my example to the dr. His concerns were that when a patient complains of distortion and reduced channel and seg width, it clearly must be the Naturals lens and requests the Varilux be used. He went on to say that when the patient is in the chair and rx is compared between phoroptor and manufactured eyewear that the lenses must be the problem.

Over the past 18 years I have learned at least one thing...95% of patient adaptation problems could have been eliminated or greatly reduced with a simple frame adjustment. However most of the problems, especially when dealing with rx changes and even the consumer recognized "Brand Name", could be psychological to deal with, then again that's an entirely new thread. (I won't even attempt to anylize that).

Thanks for the encouraging words, their appreciated.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well, there they go again!

I have no doubt that Pete will disagree with me, but........

I have always maintained that the Essilor line was just American packaging for old Varilux product, ie: Silor Super No Line (Varilux2), Adaptar (Varilux Infinity) and Natural (Comfort). Now, granted, there are those who say that the Ovation is just like the Panamic...OK, that one I don't buy!

Are they? I dunno!!!??? However, I have been fitting progressives for a long time and for the last 5-7 years, the Natural has been my lens of choice. I have worn the Panamic, the Comfort, the Natural, the VIP Gold and Image. By far, the Panamic has been the best. I have found NO difference in wear between the Comfort and the Natural. I don't even sell Comforts anymore. The Natural is a great all round lens and the only time I take people out of the Natural is to put them into Panamics.

Now, as for your Doctor...well their knowledge of lens design is whatever they were sold on by which ever rep was at their last CE classes or which ever company paid liquor bill at the last conference they attended. I have met a lot of good doctors, and I would never let any of them dispense, including mine!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hi guys, check out one of my old posts 5-11-2003 "progressives HELP"

pete gave an excellent explaination on essilors different lenses. I would have cut and pasted but i didnt ask petes permission so i leave it to you to direct yourself to it.

maybe pete will cut and paste it for us

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    eyemanfla: The sad thing is most doctors "fit" contact lenses the same way. One would hope the surgical techniques are not decided in the same way.

:cheers:

Rising Star

Crier for my progressive lens choice + lens for computer pair

Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla
    I have no doubt that Pete will disagree with me, but........
    Are they? I dunno!!!??? However, I have been fitting progressives for a long time and for the last 5-7 years, the Natural has been my lens of choice. I have worn the Panamic, the Comfort, the Natural, the VIP Gold and Image. By far, the Panamic has been the best.
    Hi I am new here.

I have been wearing progressive (with ormex lens which was suggested by the optician after I chose the frame - a small frame) for 3-4 years.

After reading about Varilux Panamic recently - I haven't read up on other brand BTW - I became interested in Varilux Panamic.

(Q1)Assuming that I will find a frame that I like with fitting height 0f 18mm, which *lens material* I should use for Panamic for the following prescipriton?

Sph Cyl Axis Prism Add
    R: +1.00 -0.75 150 - -
    L: -0.25 -0.50 040 - +150

(Q2)A new frame I found and like has fitting height of 17mm and so I am thinking to just give up and Panamic in order to use this frame - I plan to do a computer pair regardless using the frame I have (fitting height of 15mm). If so, what types instead of Varilux Panamic would be good? I don't have to stick to Varilux brand. ANy good one is fine. And what lens material (CR 39 or Orma or higher index; see above prescription)?

(Q3)For the computer pair, I have a frame with fitting height of 15 mm. I have no clue what brand and type and lens mterial i should use. Someone suggested me Sola Access (probably polycrabonate htough she didn't sya it). From I have read, I think I should avoid polycarbonate. I'd like to know what to use.

I wonder whether I should be starting a new thread instead of responding here.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have always thought the difference between the lenses is that the channel of the Comfort was 2 mm shorter so the reading area is reached sooner. I can remember when the recommended fitting height for the Comfort was 22 and the Naturals at 24. Later it was changed to 18 and 20. I think the rocommended fitting height of the Natural is now 18.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by amanda
    Hi I am new here.

I have been wearing progressive (with ormex lens which was suggested by the optician after I chose the frame - a small frame) for 3-4 years.

After reading about Varilux Panamic recently - I haven't read up on other brand BTW - I became interested in Varilux Panamic.

(Q1)Assuming that I will find a frame that I like with fitting height 0f 18mm, which *lens material* I should use for Panamic for the following prescipriton?

Sph Cyl Axis Prism Add
    R: +1.00 -0.75 150 - -
    L: -0.25 -0.50 040 - +150

(Q2)A new frame I found and like has fitting height of 17mm and so I am thinking to just give up and Panamic in order to use this frame - I plan to do a computer pair regardless using the frame I have (fitting height of 15mm). If so, what types instead of Varilux Panamic would be good? I don't have to stick to Varilux brand. ANy good one is fine. And what lens material (CR 39 or Orma or higher index; see above prescription)?

(Q3)For the computer pair, I have a frame with fitting height of 15 mm. I have no clue what brand and type and lens mterial i should use. Someone suggested me Sola Access (probably polycrabonate htough she didn't sya it). From I have read, I think I should avoid polycarbonate. I'd like to know what to use.

I wonder whether I should be starting a new thread instead of responding here.
    I think starting a new thread is an excellent idea, you will get more responses.

Thread Information