Thread: Products and Companies I have had a problem with.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Products and Companies I have had a problem with.

I am sure we all have them, but why should we all have to learn the hard way.

I have had problems with Bolle' and Serengetti sunglass lenses that appearently cannot stand exposure to water (also had similar problem years ago with a Lux product, but they re-called them and fixed the problem.) Why anyone would make a sunglass and not test it for exposure for water (down heeahh in the South, if you sell sunglasses they are gonna get wet.)

Also I have had problems with the coatings on cosmolite and 166 index product pealing, chipping, yellowing and generally fallling apart after a year or less, if I am lucky, 18 mo. but it seldom last 2 years. Reguardless of how often we think the patient should have a new Rx and new lenses, the patients expect product, especially expensive product to last a lot longer and when it dies, they want it to be from and accident or something they did (whether or not they admit they did it) not premature old age.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip~

I was interested to read your review and especially your comments about the yellowing of Cosmolit product over time. I, too, have noticed this.

The company that was a thorn in my side??? Lindberg. AHHHHH!!! What a nightmare. I started selling their product about 6 years ago (when they were small and friendly and personable). Unfortunately, the company took a nasty turn and backorders have been a continuous problem, as has representation and the product needs a LOT of upkeep. Although, it does hold up over time, temples loosen (and can't be tightened in the shop), lenses loosen and have to be reglued (a tedious, messy job) and nose pads and temple tips have to be replaced every six months on average (because they are silicone and tear or just fall off).

I took the product out of my stock a few months ago and I can't believe how problem free my shop is now. I keep asking myself why I didn't do it sooner.

hip chic

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    hipchic, I almost got stuck with "Airs", set up an account at VEW a few years ago, got the whole deal, drill and all, well, the rep was supposed to come in and spend a day or two hands on training us to fit and adjust them, which, you understand is necessary. well, we had to prepay and then he never showed up, so we called them and opted to retrun them, which they did take back, everything we we willing to pay shipping charges on to Denmark(?), then I sold the drill press at a loss...still have a nice floor display gathering dust in the store room, if anyone is interested? but, i'm so glad we didn't go down that road any further...

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Well the worst frame I have ever had in my dispensery was the Adidas four-point. It had the plug insertion and it broke continuously. You know the two metal prongs that go into the plugs, one of them would always break. Whether it be in the temples or the nose pads it would break all of the time just by people taking on and off their glasses. Eventually, I had to replace everyones frames with another frame all together or else I would never see these people again. I had four-points at a fraction of the $139 they were charging me that held up through everything. So everyone of those frames I took a loss on. I got COS (the company who supplies them and also distributes Silhouette here) to replace the ones I had on my board with other Adidas frames. They were not happy about it, but they did it; however, I haven't seen the frame rep after that. Funny how they would get mad at us for their P.O.S.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ranger
    hipchic, I almost got stuck with "Airs", set up an account at VEW a few years ago, got the whole deal, drill and all, well, the rep was supposed to come in and spend a day or two hands on training us to fit and adjust them, which, you understand is necessary. well, we had to prepay and then he never showed up, so we called them and opted to retrun them, which they did take back, everything we we willing to pay shipping charges on to Denmark(?), then I sold the drill press at a loss...still have a nice floor display gathering dust in the store room, if anyone is interested? but, i'm so glad we didn't go down that road any further...
    Texas Ranger~

Ahhh! You experienced the "bad rep" problem right off the bat! Be thankful. I admire you for seeing the writing on the wall and getting out of it so immediately. Take my word for it, you saved yourself a LOT of time and money and frustration.

hip chic

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Italee

Good luck dealing with Italee.
    Greate products Kawasaki and 2.5 but no customer service and greedy rep that made too much money.
    Lets put int this way. In 5 years I newer saw a rep in my store. I was just plasing orders on VEE.

Thread Information