Thread: Licence to a foriegner

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Licence to a foriegner

Hi Everyone,
    Does any one on the board have any idea,weather they issue licence to a foriegner & specially when the person happens to be an indian?
    I'm specific about this because over here we do not have a school for opticianry & every thing is based on in clinic experience.
    I took the ABO recently & am confident about the result.
    And if you get a licence will they let you work?
    Any light?Any one?
    Vimal

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    Spexwala -

I think it depends on what state you want to practice in - maybe 1/2 of the states have licenses and the requirements will vary from state to state. If you are in a non-licensed state, I think the ABO shows that you are serious about the profession. Good luck !!

Karen

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

work

Priya Vimal, ABO is not a license, but merely a rather easy basic test of some opticinary skills. If the state does not have a license requirement as most here do not, then you could work, as long as someone will employ you. Wages in these states tend to be quite lower then in licensed states.
    ....Some states however require ABO as a prerequisite to obtaining a license, however they also usually require a certain amount of time on the job that can be documented or so many hours of an accredited school of opticinary.
    .....However you could come over here and open up your own dispensary, and if needed hire a licensed optician and a doctor, as in the case of what we call two door states, have the doctor seperate.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Priya Harry:-),

Nice to hear that from you.

Thanks for your reply.Perhaps I did not make myself clear when asking"Will they let you work?"

I am not a us citizen or permanent resident.I'm looking at working with the perspective of an employment based immigration.

Opticianry is my passion,& seeing a watch maker or a grocery store owner as my proffesional rival hurts me very bad.

If I look at the licencing application form,it asks about my social security number,which I do not have.

Any light once again?

Thanks,priya Harry & Karan

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

employment

Priya ,Vimaljee and karan, I do not know what the immigration laws are on that subject, although i was once told if you had sponsorship by a family or something to that effect. You might want to contact my good friend Sandeep godbole, who has a third generation optical shop up 100 miles north of New Dehli, i think its Armarvati, but i may be spelling it wrong. His sister Sanjeeta lives here in NC, and could probably tell you ,if you can supply a phone number, or perhaps an email where she could email you back. Let me know and i will phone Sanjeeta, sorry to take so long, but i have not read this thread in awhile. My email address directly is N4OOI@aol.com the OOI are letters and not numbers and they are in upper case, or you can send me a private message by going to one of the many posts i have written here. Under the general discussion forum you will see a large thread called tips on dispaensing and you can email or private message me from there, best of luck my friend and let me know how i can help

Thread Information