Thread: POS frame alert

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

POS frame alert

Aspex drill rimless lines are to be avoided. It's very brittle and the clip magnets fall out!.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use alot of the Mannhattan line and find it to be very good. We have been extremly happy with this product.

UFRICH:cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sorry, I have to agree with the Stoneman. Generally speaking, all Aspex stuff is of mediocre quality, unfortunately.

We started selling the Manhattan/Aspex lines, and we are doing very well with that product. The prices are a bit high, but the overall quality is fine. I bet with every frame line, everyone has their favorites, and the ones they hate. I think it is a bold statement that the "whole frame line" or "all of their stuff" is junk.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You know, Ryan, you are right. I think with a company like Aspex, you do have to be careful of what you buy within their frame lines: some are good, some not so good. I guess they do not manufacture their own frames. I just find it tiresome to sort through what is good and what isn't.

Their Easytwist frames generally hold up well mechanically, but I've found that the finish comes off in about 12 months. With the Takumi, it used to be mega-expensive but good quality. Now, they have Tak2umi, which is lesser quality, but I feel that waters down the Takumi name. Magnetwist is generally good quality, I feel. Pentax titanium, if you pick through the styles, isn't bad for made in China titanium. MDX is so/so. Magnetite, their low end, may have the best styles, but I sure have to re-adjust it alot.

In general, I don't like magnetic clips because it's difficult to keep them on the frame for 12 months.

Safilo has about 4 magnetics in their Team collection. They're made of stainless, have the Safilo spring hinge, a pretty solid attachment design, and the quality should be more consistent because they do their own manufacturing. I understand they are licensing this to avoid Aspex suing their italian butts off, but Safilo may purchase the company they are in the licensing agreement with, if that company withstands the legal challenge. I'm looking forward to that, so they can expand their offerings.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    You know, Ryan, you are right. I think with a company like Aspex, you do have to be careful of what you buy within their frame lines: some are good, some not so good. I guess they do not manufacture their own frames. I just find it tiresome to sort through what is good and what isn't.

Their Easytwist frames generally hold up well mechanically, but I've found that the finish comes off in about 12 months. With the Takumi, it used to be mega-expensive but good quality. Now, they have Tak2umi, which is lesser quality, but I feel that waters down the Takumi name. Magnetwist is generally good quality, I feel. Pentax titanium, if you pick through the styles, isn't bad for made in China titanium. MDX is so/so. Magnetite, their low end, may have the best styles, but I sure have to re-adjust it alot.

In general, I don't like magnetic clips because it's difficult to keep them on the frame for 12 months.

Safilo has about 4 magnetics in their Team collection. They're made of stainless, have the Safilo spring hinge, a pretty solid attachment design, and the quality should be more consistent because they do their own manufacturing. I understand they are licensing this to avoid Aspex suing their italian butts off, but Safilo may purchase the company they are in the licensing agreement with, if that company withstands the legal challenge. I'm looking forward to that, so they can expand their offerings.
    Try the Viva Magic Clip collection. The magnets go behind and I have not had a customer who had the clip ever come off.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It is also sometimes difficult to get the clip to fit properly after lenses are done due to the lens being a totally different base curve than the demo-My lab manager does not like these frames.
    Those magnets are neodymium(spelling) which are 10 times stronger than a normal iron magnet-they should be hanging on well and for a decent amount of time.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have been sellling magnetic clips for about 3 years now, about four or five brands. Have never had a patient lose a clip while wearing frame. Only if they put the clip in the wrong place and walked off. Also I have never had a clip that I could not adjust to fit frame after adjusting frame to fit face and lenses. Have had a hard time once or twice adjusting though.

Chip:cheers:

Occupation
    Everytime I see this thread I wonder if the consumers reading it realize that POS stands for Point Of Sale, and not something less generous. Thought it might be good to point this out just in case. :)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been wearing a Magic Clip for several weeks, made with a AR'd Transitions/Featherwates Colors lens ...I feel so chic when they turn purple!
    I pop the sunclip on once I get into the auto....and that's the reason I got them...the clip is quite sturdy and I can be a bit of a clutz at times....I think this model is going to hold up quite nicely!
    "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol
    Everytime I see this thread I wonder if the consumers reading it realize that POS stands for Point Of Sale, and not something less generous. Thought it might be good to point this out just in case. :)
    Thanks for point that out SM.

I am finding that most of the problems with the drill aspex, are caused by inconsistancies in the clips!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by JennyP
    I have been wearing a Magic Clip for several weeks, made with a AR'd Transitions/Featherwates Colors lens ...I feel so chic when they turn purple!
    I pop the sunclip on once I get into the auto....and that's the reason I got them...the clip is quite sturdy and I can be a bit of a clutz at times....I think this model is going to hold up quite nicely!
    My Viva rep was suprised last time by the amount of Magic Clips we do in transitions. A lot of my customers really like the idea. They throw the clip-on in their car and use the transitions every where else.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That's a nice, simple system, For-Life.

Thread Information