Thread: Suggestions wanted for my new idea!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Suggestions wanted for my new idea!

Hi optical professionals,

I just finished my frame samples which is on patent pending! Instead of making another magnetic clip system and chase after by Aspex, I use magnet rimwire to attach on the frame itself which allows end users to change different frame eyeshapes, eyewire colors, different RX, or "no clip" sunglasses. An easy storage case holds 3 metal frame fronts is also included in the package. Please see photo attachment.

Any suggestion on the frame material, color, size, or shapes is highly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails magnet frame and case.jpg  
    Last edited by JERRY HUANG; 05-24-2004 at 02:24 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

frame

Jerry, fantastic idea, ovals and rectangular are very popular right now especially in earth tone colors, PSA, how is my new frame coming along, also will you be bringing this new design to vegas?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Jerry, very innovative! It would be rather expensive for the general public to get two or three or four sets of Rx lenses made up, though, just for different looks. They might as well buy multiple pairs. If you try to sell it as plano sunwear with different looks, it would be just as good for the person to buy two or three separate look sunglasses.

If the idea is not to have different frame looks, but for different purpose optics, like computer, sun, and dress, then that interchangeable-optics, geek-appeal may work with men. I'd go with a "techie", minimalistic, titanium, but conservative frame in silver and in matte black with about a 50 eyesize softened rectangle lens with enough B for a progressive to be fit at 20. For maximum acceptance with different face types the interchangeable front would look best as a semi-rimless, since the eyewire wouldn't be obvious. Plus, with a semi-rimless, labs could cut the lenses with different patterns to offer another shape or two, maybe something that would look feminine. The case would be critical. It would be better to have it very small and soft, probably with a clip, because people would be toting it around.
    Last edited by drk; 05-23-2004 at 09:58 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Dear jerry,

Clip-Ons are one of the biggest problems we come across, they are a necessity here what with strong sun most of the year, BUT I don't understand what your product is, I've read your notes a few times, so I'm obviously dim!

Is the sunglass attachment made of a magnetic material that attaches all the way round the front of the rim of a metal frame?.

How does the end user change the shape of the piece if he has a smaller frame?..... you've lost me.

I want to know because this sounds amazing.

Best, Clive

Please let me on this topic.....

-----------------------------
    http://www.zonelinks.com
    ------------------------------
    The Power Link Dimension

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Thanks Harry and drk. I really like the semi-rimless and another add-on clip-on idea!

Hi Clive,

I always need a pair of clip-on sunglasses to go along with my RX frame when I am on the motorcycle in California. For the recent 2 years, I also found myself need to wear a reading glasses in the age of super early 40's--- !

While I am still trying to get used to my new progrssive lens, my biker buddies urge me to make them multi-functional glasses for day and night riding, reading, yet must look as "normal" as possible! That is why I come up this idea to make this frame(s) by using magnet device to replace the traditional screws for easy on and off purpose.

Please see photo attachment below, 3 magnets are inserted on the main frame "bar" and another 3 are soldered onto the metal rimwire to secure the setting position and angle. It is very easy for end users to change from one metal frame front to another from the provided optical case as illustrated photo attachment upstairs. So far, my friends like it very much because save them lots of room without carry many pairs of glasses on the their saddlebags.

Well, I do need to make smaller frame bar for end users who have smaller face. Please kindly give me more feedback on the cosmetic side because one girl complaints it looks too much like man's frame wear!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails magnet frame and parts.jpg  

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    The front view should look as clean as possible without seeing magnets!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails magnet1.jpg  

Wave

Mikli-ish. I like it. I don't see the magnet,

What specific feedback are you looking for?

Ok how about this...

Can I fit a 1.90 Zeiss Glass into it in a -16? Or will the magnets not hold and the lenses fall on the floor.

Do the lenses have to be front beveled or specially beveled?

Was that good?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

frames

Jerry, what email address are you using now, cant, get any to work

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Same here, Jerry! I have a special request!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jerry, I like the idea, but, I question it's marketability. I think that an individual would have to absolutley love the chassis to invest in additionals fronts. I bet the savings is not signifient enough. Just my thoughts. Terry

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    To mrba---Yes, the magnet frame front is strong enough to stay and not fly away! I just tested it today by going 110 miles per hour on my V-Rod. ...Yes! The RX lens takes regular V cut bevel.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    To CME4SPECS----Yes, I have to offer more designs on the top chassis (metal chassis??) and eyeshapes,yet the whole frame front still needs look as one piece. Please see photo attachment.
    I use short Swiss hinges for opticians to offer different temple length, designs(2-D, 3-D) or temple materials (horn, wood, plastic, gold/silver......etc).

To Harry and all optical professionals who are interested to share ideas with me, please write me at: eyetailorjerry@yahoo.com
    One more marketing question----What is the reasonable wholesale price??

Thanks

Jerry back in LA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails metal magnet 1.jpg  

Thread Information