Thread: Lens Choice Query ... what do you dispense?

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar

Wave Lens Choice Query ... what do you dispense?

A co-worker of mine took the ABO test on Sunday. She was surprised by the number of questions regarding glass lenses. Yes, we work for a chain optical that has all but phased out glass lenses years back.

She asked me whether I thought glass was being "phased out" in the industry or just in particular chain opticals. I told her I would ask on Optiboard to satisfy our curiousity.

What percentage of eyewear is glass/crown or photochromic? What about CR-39 ? Hi-Index (like spectralite) or 1.67 ? Poly ? Trivex ?

Just curious ...

Thanks -

Karen :cheers:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    This is from January 1, 2004 to May 18, 2004. All numbers are rounded off to the nearest whole of a percent.

Types
    - Single Vision: 55 percent
    - Flat Top: 12 percent
    - Progressives: 33 percent

Materials
    - CR-39: 85 percent
    - High and Mid Index: 7 percent
    - Poly: 15 percent
    - Glass: 0.2 percent (I didn't round that number off)
    - Trivex: 0 percent

Add-Ons
    - Anti-Relection Coating: 60 percent
    - Transitions: 20 percent

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why Glass on test

Test if for Opticianry Skills, not selling. You should be competent in all materials.

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    For- Life -

Thank you for answering the question.

Working in a chain, I don't get exposure to "the real world" ... and am curious as to what non-chain opticians dispense ...

Karen

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For the most part, (see for-lifes' numbers), glass is available for those who truely want it, however, due to the rapid technological advances with materials, both in lens design and frames, glass is not the key element for prototyping. We are in a society of disposable items, and warranties to back them up! If plastics scratch, you get them replaced under warranty in the first year and in the second, you get a new pair. The other issue is the legal-minded dispenser in a society that is lawsuit pursiuant. Duty to warn has extended to elliminating glass and only providing materials that project a safer scenario, as well as accomodate the fashion needs of the consumer.

As for the ABO exam, I do agree with Chip, anyone going for certification should know the basics of all materials. Then again, I do not believe the ABO exam has been modified in some time now to mimic the trends of today. I could be wrong, as I had taken it slightly over 10 years ago.
    :cheers:
    Cowboy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optigoddess
    For- Life -

Thank you for answering the question.

Working in a chain, I don't get exposure to "the real world" ... and am curious as to what non-chain opticians dispense ...

Karen
    I used to work for a chain and the reason they don't sell glass is that they do not do glass. They are in the process of phasing out CR 39 and going to Poly as their main lens material because it is easier to concentrate on one lens material and they are under the impression that Poly works with most prescriptions. Personally I dislike Poly, the reason being the chain I worked for was not as acurate as the labs I use now in the real world. As for my opinion on glass, it is dangerous!
    "For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore, nameless here for evermore."

E.A.Poe

Occupation
    Look what I found. It is a survey of how the industry did last year (in the USA).

http://www.2020mag.com/index.asp?page=3_369.htm

I would post the article, but there are too many graphs and it wouldn't show up nicely. Some tidbits:

- Trivex is below is ranked lower than glass in sales
    - AR is at a very low 19%
    - Lens sales are up, but frames, non rx sunglasses, and contact lenses are down.

I would like to see stats for Canada (that is where I live), Japan, and Europe.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would like to see stats on the rise of laser surgery and how that plays into the drop in contact lens and opthalmic frame sales.
    "For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore, nameless here for evermore."

E.A.Poe

Bad address email on file
    I work for a chain, and it's easily 75% poly. It's cheap to make, and the mark-up is ridiculous. I always marvel at how many independents use plastic, but seeing as they don't get "penalized" for not selling a particular material their bosses want to push, they are free to go with a material that is simply better as far as optical quality is concerned.

Occupation
    Well you also have to remember that my stats are from Canada where we do not have the "duty to warn" stuff. We do a lot of plastic and the poly that we do is high end. We use Essilors Airwear Aspheric for our poly. It is high end because we only sell it with the Alize or the Crizal coating and that it is aspheric, so it is not a cash cow. I could probably sell poly with a basic SRC and make it into a real cash cow, but I feel that plastic is better in that area. Our poly is sold as a high index lens or as a lens less prone to breakage (rimlons for people who are really rough on their glasses, mainly my sister, or 4-points).

Thread Information