Thread: Buying groups

Idea Buying groups

Just curious if any of you guys use buying groups very much and if so, which ones?? I love the aspect of simplified billing so please let me know which ones you like, and which ones you don't like. Thanks!!

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our office uses OptiCare, but minimally. Mostly it's ok. The only issue you should be aware of is that if you tend to run over 30 days in paying your balances in full, the group may shut you off from your vendors until the bill is paid in full. Also, check discounts. Some suppliers offer different discounts than those offered through the buying group -- sometimes better, sometimes not. If you're a high-volume user with certain accounts, you may be able to negotiate a better deal. We deal mostly with the individual vendors, and it works just fine.

I use Villavecchia.

Family owned and very friendly. I do have a few direct accounts and the rest are with them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use Villavecchia.

Family owned and very friendly. I do have a few direct accounts and the rest are with them.
    Where is Villavecchia located? Is it available for US customers?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I WOULD HOPE IT IS ON EARTH

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If Vision West is available in Texas (are you out there Lori??-can you answer that for me?) I would check them out. They have lots of stuff to offer in addition to simplified billing-great practice management and marketing stuff- they also support optometric associations. Hopefully my friend Lori will see this and let us know! :)
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Optometrist

buying groups

We use VVS in Virginia Beach they are great to deal with and will bend over backwords to help. their number is 1800-345-1976 or 757-428-0200 ask for Mark
    Dr. David Gilbert O.D.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've used vision west for 11 years and been very happy. They were great when I first started my practice.

But now that I'm established and have my favorite vendors, I use the buying group less and less. Volume discount with my preferred vendors is usually better than my buying group discount. I only use my buying group for my low volume vendors.

Harry

Andrew,

Connecticut

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Ryan, we've used HMI.Vicksburg, Ms. for 25 years. excellant and professional group.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by karen
    If Vision West is available in Texas (are you out there Lori??-can you answer that for me?) I would check them out. They have lots of stuff to offer in addition to simplified billing-great practice management and marketing stuff- they also support optometric associations. Hopefully my friend Lori will see this and let us know! :)
    Karen,

I'm here and Vision West is available throughout the United States. Give me call if you have any questions at (800) 640-9485.

Lori

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch
    Andrew,

Connecticut
    Thanks, Fletch. :p

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Just curious if any of you guys use buying groups very much and if so, which ones?? I love the aspect of simplified billing so please let me know which ones you like, and which ones you don't like. Thanks!!
    Ryan

In my opinion buying groups are good for only a couple of things.

That is purchasing single frames/contacts/ etc from vendors that you normally don't do business with so that you can get at least some discount. For that convenience you are going to give up three per cent discount, and usually 2 percent prompt pay for a total of 5% that your would normally get if you qualify for the vendors discount level. If you don't qualify you would not get any discount, unless you did go through a buying group. So they can reduce your cost of goods sold on all those temples, frames, and etc that you would not normally stock or use.

They are also useful for accouts that have or have had poor credit and they can't get products they need from vendors anymore. Even if you can't get a direct account with a vendor you can usually get product, because the buying group accepts the responsibility for paying the bill.

As stated previously the most profitable way is to purchase in quantity from the vendors you want to do business with and take all of the discount and all of the prompt pay allowance. ( Caution not all vendors give a prompt pay discount, there is at least one major frame company that does not)

One other caution is that not all buying groups allow for dated billing. That is where a vendor allows an account to be billed 30/60/90/120 and so forth billing but the buying group because of the increased paper work does not allow the dated billing to flow through to your account. Check with your buying group to determine if they have restrictions on dated billings offered by various vendors. If they do you might look for another one. Dated billing is the only way to go. As Danny Devito said "Using other peoples money" to operate your business is nice.

Hope this helps,

Rep

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OOGP has always been a good buying group for us. We've been usuing them for over 10 years.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

OptiBoard Novice

Pricing

One important aspect about buying groups that isn't being mentioned: all buying groups receive equal discounts from the vendors, but each group decides how much of that discount to keep and how much to pass on to the members.

Doctor's Optical Supply keeps an industry low 3%, which means our members make more money than do members of other buying groups. Please come join us!

http://www.DoctorsOptical.com

OptiBoard Novice

Compare Optical Buying Groups

Thread Information