Thread: Solid Red Mirror Lense

Crier Solid Red Mirror Lense

Hi,
    I'm trying to find someone who would know anything that could help me make some solid red mirror coated lenses for my Oakley Pennys'. I talked to someone before but they flaked out so I still haven't been able to go about how to make them. All the opticians I've talked to say that their labs don't offer that color. I want the outside of the lenses to look like a red christmas bulb. It looks like a chrome dark reflective red. Thanks for any help!
    Pat

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pat,
    Red lenses for suns are not a good choice. That is why most optical establishments don't do it and you are having a problem.

May I suggest an alternative? You may want to ask about vermillion (either tint or mirror). It has a reddish tint to it. You can see a sample here: http://www.framesdirect.com/costa-de...ns-options.asp
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I thought we had already talked about this...

Can the lens be done? Sure with a dialectric Badlands Red or Black Cherry on an opaque lens. It will look like what you're requesting but the lens will be unuseable as a wearable sunglass. Also, most people won't mess with it because of that fact. I've spoken with you about doing the lenses all at your expense and paid for up front before starting them because I know what the end result is going to be and I don't think you realize or understand that.

You asked if it could be done. As a useable lens? No. As an unuseable opaque base colored lens that looks cool in your Penny? Most likely. Cyclops lenses were done on as dark a base color as they could get and still have him be able to function and the lighting effects did the rest but in person even those won't look like what you're looking for. That's called the wonders of Hollywood and a good lighting director.

Take care and I hope you find what you're looking for one day.

Darris C.

Thread Information