Thread: Zeiss Gradal BREVITY...

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Zeiss Gradal BREVITY...

Is anyone on the Optiboard currently wearing this product?
    How is it?

It's a fairly new product here in Canada and it's actually on B/O already.
    I'm using it for heights 17-20mm and it's basically replacing my AO Compact needs.

I've sold quite a few and have had NO problems so far.
    They only have it in the 1.5 plastic and 1.67 plastic.

They also call it BREVIS.

Bad address email on file
    We love it.

We have now dispensed quite a few. No problems to report at all.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie G's

It's a fairly new product here in Canada and it's actually on B/O already.
    I'm using it for heights 17-20mm and it's basically replacing my AO Compact needs.

They only have it in the 1.5 plastic and 1.67 plastic.
    Eddie-can you get Shamir product?? If so that would be worth trying as well. The Piccolo is their short corridor and is available in lots of materials. I found that the Compact had some distortion nasally and temporally below the 180 whereas the Piccolo is a softer design and seemed to not have that problem. We just started stocking Brevity and so far so good.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by karen
    Eddie-can you get Shamir product?? If so that would be worth trying as well. The Piccolo is their short corridor and is available in lots of materials. I found that the Compact had some distortion nasally and temporally below the 180 whereas the Piccolo is a softer design and seemed to not have that problem. We just started stocking Brevity and so far so good.
    The Sharmir brand is used by Stewart N. King's Shorney's/Shoppers chain in Canada. That is one reason why I avoid it. They do not offer a nice product, so I do not want to be associated with that.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    The Sharmir brand is used by Stewart N. King's Shorney's/Shoppers chain in Canada. That is one reason why I avoid it. They do not offer a nice product, so I do not want to be associated with that.
    Would that be like Lenscrafters here?? If so I could see why you would avoid it, which is too bad because it is pretty good stuff!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by karen
    Would that be like Lenscrafters here?? If so I could see why you would avoid it, which is too bad because it is pretty good stuff!
    Yeah, like Lenscrafters, but cheaper. I don't know why I am complaining. I deal with Essilor, but they do all of Walmarts work. Maybe because I dealt with Essilor before and then you get they consumers come back from Shorney's complaining about their glasses. I guess it is a lack of confidence. Additionally, the AR coating they use is really bad. I don't know what coatings you can apply to the Genesis and Piccolo lens.

I believe you can put any coat on a Genesis or Piccolo. Zeiss and Zeiss Carat for sure.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ar coating

Just to clarify you can 't use Caret on Shamir 1.67 or Poly. This came from Shamir and one reason we stopped using this product. Other than that they're great lenses.

Christina

OptiBoard Apprentice
    We sell Shamir products and I think that they are among the best lenses on the market. Shamir as a rule does not sell to the big chains in the US but I would ask the question, which lens manufacturer does not or would not sell to the chains and have you banned their products as well? You will always have the advantage over any chain by providing better customized service, availabilty of the latest materials and designs, and the ability to choose from a wider array of products than any chain could hope to offer. Why throw the baby out with the bathwater? Our job as eyecare professionals is to provide our patients with the best visual solution.
    Just a thought.
    Lab Rep and Optician.

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I finally received my first 1.67 Index Brevity's
    and I was shocked to see that there were NO zeiss markings!

Just 2 circles with the add power temporaly.
    :drop:
    So I called Zeiss and they said that the 1.5 and 1.67 Brevity's are totally different.
    The fitting cross is even lower in the 1.67.
    I just ordered the 2 centrations charts.

Has anyone else tried the 1.67 yet?
    Can you verify this?

Thanks,
    Eddie G's

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    I don't know why I am complaining. I deal with Essilor, but they do all of Walmarts work. Maybe because I dealt with Essilor before . Additionally, the AR coating they use is really bad.
    Don't forget the Ellipse (speaking of Essilor)-14 mm minimum fitting. The little bit of feedback I have is good so far-and you could put Crizal or Alize on it and not have to worry about coating trouble.

I saw that the Brevity markings were just the circles-wish they hadn't done that. Kinda makes it hard to identify when someone comes into your office with one if you don't know who the manufacturer is. I went out to my car and got the literature out of my trunk. the nasal marking on the 1.67 has a line through it to differentiate from the 1.5. The layout on the brochure I have says nothing about fitting cross difference-don't have any cut out charts yet...

Thread Information