Thread: The Future Of Opticianry? Part 2

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I am starting this as a new thread because my browser was taking too long to load the old thread.

Steve's Original Questions:
    I've been asked to give a short talk about the 'Future of Opticianry' at the OAW Spring Convention in April. (This is in addition to my participation on a panel discussion on 'Computer Technology' in which I will shamelessly plug OptiBoard and all the wonderful people on it!)

I have my own ideas on what the future holds for our industry, but I'd be interested in seeing your views on this subject. So here's a few opening questions on this issue. Please add your comments and any other issues you think are appropriate.

1.What are the biggest obstacles facing Opticians today?
    2.Will Opticianry become less or more of a 'profession' in the coming years?
    3.In your view are Optician's Associations effective and, if not, how can they become so?
    4.What affect do you see refractive surgery having on the future of Opticianry?
    5.Are there effective and meaningful educational opportunities in this field?
    6.What affect, if any, do you see the large chains having on the profession?
    7.What would you do to strengthen this profession?

I'm sure there's many other questions I can't think of right now so feel free to add our own.
    Thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The following quote is from the Vision Monday Online Expo Hot Spot Special. It is Sterling Optical's entry. Notice the second to last sentence; is this the future of opticianry?
    http://www.visionmonday.com/vmhotspo.../hotspots4.cfm

Sterling Optical
    Vision Expo Testimonial
    Spiro Berdebes,
    “Becoming a Sterling Optical franchisee has greatly improved my life.
    With Sterling’s support tools, training, and outstanding staff I have been able to open two successful locations in just two years, despite the fact that I didn’t have any optical experience. I am now opening a third location.”

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Wow! That certainly says a lot. :(

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I wonder what his "outstanding staff" has to say about that statement! I would also be interested in seeing what his statement will be when he has 7 or 8 locations.No one bats a thousand! :)

------------------
    Harry J

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

How many people who open McDonald's locations, actualy cook burgers?

I think what that represents is that some of the business model has changed, that rather than taking an active part in the daily operations of businesses, we're moving more into the "big business" ideas of managment levels.

Its probably successful because this person spends all their time promoting, wooing, and selecting the people with the best qualifications to actualy do the work, rather than having to fix every little problem that occurs, or covering for anyone that takes ill or just plain taking up the slack(I'm sure we all know how that goes, so many things you wish you could do, but never have the time to, having management levels gives everyone very defined jobs so they can set about them without having to jump around)

Its not necessarily good or bad, its just a slightly different way of doing things that adds a bit more overhead into the already diminishing profits. But, heck, if someone can devote their time to bringing in new customers...would you rather have one dollar more a job, or ten more jobs a day? Maybe that's the main thing the industry is headed towards, volume over profits.

(head spinning..must..shut..up..and crawl back under rock)

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    So, what's the difference between the Sterling franchisee and your average dispensing ophthalmologist?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good point Al. I wonder if there are any LASIK center franchises out there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear NXTwoThou
    I'm sitting here reading this, reflecting back on the "Part 1" of the future of opticianry, knowing full well how many more people there are out there like that Sterling franchisee, and my blood is boiling!
    We've given it away . . . and they certainly are taking it.
    Martin Franklin, a 30 something entrepreneur, purchased Sterling in the early 90's. Then he bought Benson. Then he bought Optical Radiation, Then he bought Omega, Then he bought Foster Grant, Then He bought L'Amy, and then he bought Bolle'
    He has mega bucks and raids, dismantles, reconstructs, and sells off companies. He could care less about PD rulers or people using them. He has sold off most, but retains a piece of the best of them. The lives of thousands of people were effected.
    We continue to play our fiddles while the optical version of Rome continues to burn.
    I'm not saying "Chicken Little, The sky is falling." But, I am saying: "Gather yee Rose Buds . . . time is flying!"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

NXTwoThou:

I just don't know. You would think a good business manager would be able to run an optical business without experience. Something has happened to hiring principles because in quite a few cases the quality of the workplace itself just isn't there. I am not just referring to franchise operations. I have seen non-optical general and regional managers, on average three out of five, brought into companies who couldn't run hot dog carts let alone stores or groups of stores. I am sure it isn't all optical experience; some were just bad managers. Retail optical is a tough neighborhood. You are running a service business, a retail establishment and an allied health provider; that's quite a challenge for folks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jo
    Agreed.
    We continue to be led by fewer and fewer quality management. But, retail is retail is retail. There are but a few retailers whose management is required to improve. If retail management is to control optical, should it be mass merchandisers or specialty retail?
    product or service providers? There is a dif.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OK Alan, you have been part of the home office ranks and you are also well versed on the business end of optics. Maybe you could answer or take an educated guess at a few questions for me.

Who is the largest consumer base in today's optical market? I am talking age, gender, highest level of education and income tier.

Try and estimate how many patients are covered by some form of vision benefit whether insurance or discount. AAA alone is huge.

Who makes up the workforce in the optical business? Same categories as the consumer question. How many employees are furthering their education, optical and/or business related?

Is technology regarding opthalmic goods going to continue to grow? Not including LASIK.

Answer the best you can. I am just trying to form a solid thought here; I don't have one just yet.

Thread Information