Thread: cleaning polycarbonate lens

Bad address email on file

Hi..

I recently purchased (2 days ago) a new set of prescription eyeglasses from lenscrafters.. and i got the polycarbonate lens (i think they call it featherwates plus) lens.. I want to know what is the best way to clean these lens.. ? I got some cleansing cloths that come in a small package.. but they dont seem to clean the lens good. I dont want to scratch these lens like my other glasses.. any help will be greatly appreciated..

thanks

Dave

------------------

[This message has been edited by gmaster (edited 03-28-2001).]

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

For light fingerprints, use the cloth only. For real dirt, use warm soapy (detergent) water.

Never rub a dry dusty lens with a dry anything.

Chip

Originally posted by chip anderson:
    For light fingerprints, use the cloth only. For real dirt, use warm soapy (detergent) water.

Never rub a dry dusty lens with a dry anything.

Chip
    is there any kind of special cloth? or 100% cotton? etc.. thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

I agree with the Chipster. Give your glasses a bath in warm soapy(noncaustic) water. Rinse them and then wipe dry with a soft cloth or Soft paper towell - the idea is to not rub the lenses any more than necessary - that can creat static electricity especially in the winter - the cloth should be very absorbant - synthetics and new cloth is out. Soaps with lotions and perfumes should be avoided.

I know this sounds funny, but never wipe them when they are dirty - except perhaps the cloth to get of a smudge.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I totally agree with the others, be sure you don't use windex or other glass cleaners, and never use solvents especially fingernail polish remover. Veeeery bad for polycarbonate.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Arrow

Hate to disagree with Homer for whom I have great respect and usually agree with, but No Paper Towels! Good quality Kleenex or a soft cloth fine.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I recommend a good lens cleaner over soap and water. If you don't rinse the soap off well enough you'll attract dirt and dust to the lens. Less streaking and quicker drying with quality lens cleaner too. Regular Kleenex tissues or a really soft cotton cloth to wipe them with. For oily smudges (fingerprints, eyebrow oil) a good cleaning cloth is great too. I like the cloths by Micro Clair, they wipe those fingerprints and smudges right off.

OptiBoard Novice

First time posting. I would think no paper products of any sort. Any paper product will have wood fiber which will lightly scratch the lenses. Accumulatively, not a good thing.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can go to any optical dispensary and buy pre moistened towlettes. We recently started carrying them and I cannot live without them. They are single use and can easily be carried in wallet, briefcase, or purse. No containers to worry about to spill in your bag. They are about $4.99 for 20-30.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Apparently someone at lenscrafters isn't doing their job. They should always tell their customers about how to care for their lenses when they sell them. That way the customer doesn't get ticked off when they find abbrasions on the lenses after using sandpaper on them to remove a smudge. I have on occasion told customers to return to the store where they purchased their glasses to get refunds(with scratched lenses) because they were not informed as to how to clean them.
    Ken "Stick it in your Craw" B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Whilst reading this nice, informative thread, something stood out and distracted me. And now I have a couple of questions.

Originally posted by specs13:
    eyebrow oil
    What, in the name of all that is decent and pure, is eyebrow oil?
    Why does the American male feel the need to oil his eyebrows? Does it make doing a 'surprised' facial expression smoother, and less resistant?
    Can you get nose oil, and ear oil, for a completely slick head?

Britian needs to know...........

flush the lenses in running tap water,rinse off water well & than clean with chemois leather.

Sara

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Soft non fibrous cleaning cloths work fine. However the problem is folks tend to keep on using the cloth without washing them. Moving 2 months of dirt around on your lenses is a sure way to realize scratches.
    Soft no lint tissues are cheap enough to throw away after cleaning lenses with a quality liquid cleaner.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

I prefer the pre-moistened towelettes, but I also keep a cleaning cloth that is a 50/50 mix of nylon and polyester.

Maria,
    Eyebrow oil is just something that affects some people more than others, due to oily skin. Maybe we Americans just sweat more than you Brits. And yes, it can also be found on your nose - but if it's on your nose you probably wouldn't call it "eyebrow oil".
    Hope this helps prevent an international misunderstanding.

Blake

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The one thing everyone forgot was the first thing you need to do is wash your own hands or you may transfer everything thats on your hands to the lenses. I prefer hot water to rinse first, then soap and water several times, follwed by a final rinsing of hot water. Then take the glasses, hold them in the middle and shake them. A lot of water will instantly evaporate. Then take the glasses and blot them dry instead of rubbing. There is no need to rub a lens that is clean.

Bad address email on file Corey Nicholls's Avatar

It may also be a good idea if you are using some form of lens cloth, to wash it at regular intervals (I usually tell my clients to do this once a fortnight)as you do not want any dirt you may pickup, on the cloth to scratch the lenses later.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never understood why anyone wanted to use those bloody lens cleaning cloths. It would seem if you have any dirt on the lens, you are now trapping it in the cloth and rubbing it on the surface of the lens, thus causing scratching.

OptiBoard Novice
    When using soap and water use cold water because warm or hot water can heat up the coatings and make them soft when cleaning. Use a soft clean cotton cloth or old T-shirts work great not much lint on them.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    No, no, no. You all have it wrong. What you really want to do is build a "clean" room in your house. Then go through both chemical and UV sterilization so as not to contaminate the area. Next use the glove box to gently pick up the glasses and (now here's the tricky part) wipe them with the edge of a dirty T-shirt.:hammer:

OptiBoard Novice
    When people say something doesnt mean it is always the truth! This day and age people half a far greater knowledge of thing and then again we have people that what to make other people look bad and tell them to go get a refund$ at a nother store cause its the only way they can drum up business. """""""""""""""""""""""CHEAPVERYCHEAP""""""""""""""""""" ""

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

What, in the name of all that is decent....................

Quote Originally Posted by Maria
    What, in the name of all that is decent and pure, is eyebrow oil?
    Why does the American male feel the need to oil his eyebrows?
    Britian needs to know...........
    The subject in question has a secretion of oily fat around the whole face and not only the eyebrows as well as behind the ears...........specially when they dont wash too often.

Women put on the oil and fat volontarily out of cream pots so the equilibrium is about even between male and female.

Actually the Brits do have a similar problem. This is like turning your socks around instead of washing them.

Thread Information