Thread: The dead horse gets no rest...

Occupation
    Optometrist

The dead horse gets no rest...

I'm beating the dead horse again and again...

Why don't progressive companies come out with families of lenses:

"The bookworm": Large, large near zone
    "The computer geek": Wide, long corridor
    "The truck driver": Unobstructed distance vision
    "The all-around": Balanced design
    "The shorty": For fashionistas

Obviously, I can create this with SV or segments, or go to computer specific NVF lenses. But, not everyone wants these options.

I'd like to be savvy enough to get a general progressive that happens to have characteristics that match their special need. I know that really good opticians know how to do this.

Any suggestions on using an existing progressive design for the above categories, e.g.
    the shorty=the Ellipse
    the truck driver= the Percepta, etc.

Thanks.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Re: The dead horse gets no rest...

drk said:
    I'm beating the dead horse again and again...

Why don't progressive companies come out with families of Any suggestions on using an existing progressive design for the above categories, e.g.

drk, you are beating the right horse on the Optiboard, ESSIOR and SOLA are carefully scanning these postings and will pick up any idea they think is worth a few advertising dollars and promotion. Maybe one of them will even answer your post.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Actually, Sola used to have a one page sheet that kind of did what you are talking about- I used it all the time. Darryl-if you are out there do you still do this? It was called "Presbyope Solutions from Sola" Perhaps it has been updated since the new lenses came out?? I can send you one (of the old ones) drk if you email me your address.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for the offer, Karen, but I would like to use the newest possible designs. What, generally, do you do now? Do you address this issue, or just go with balanced designs?

Occupation
    I have found that most established offices have a design ar manufacturer they prefer to support. If that is the case I make sure they know what is available. I ask questions about which lenses they are using for what and then make recommendations based on what their needs are. I tend to lean toward occupational computer use lenses for people who spend a fair amount of time in front of a computer or doing desk work.. I don't think a progressive is always they best choice for that scenario nor do I think that any one progressive works well for all options (ie fashionista and truckdriver) I think all the heavy hitters (Essilor, Zeiss, Sola, and Shamir) have products that pretty much address every need be it general use PAL, short corridor or occupational (I like Signet product too but no occupational available) If there is a particular manufacturer you want to use I would tell my lab rep to put something together that shows you what is available and what works best for each scenario ;) If you don't have a lab rep let me know and I can throw something together for you.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks, Karen, for your offer.

I would be satisfied to simply understand what the current products are like.

E.g. I refit a Zeiss Gradal 1.67 wearer to a Panamic Poly, with +1.75 add power (no net add change). Now, granted, he's a picky guy, and I changed to poly, but...
    He came back with, among other complaints, the problem of feeling like he had to search vertically for the correct corridor position for his CRT, and that it was vertically too sensitive, if you know what I mean. I remade him back to Gradal.

Now, maybe I should have seen this coming. Does the Gradal have a long corridor and the Panamic a snappier power progression? I just need to get some reference source to make valid comparisons.

At least I now know what questions to ask!

Occupation
    Well, I will bow to Pete's superior wisdom and understanding-we should get him involved becayse he understands everybody's designs. The drop on the Gradal is longer so I have always understood that to mean that it did in fact have a longer corridor. I found it worked very well on older presyobes with higher add powers who really needed that intermediate area. I admit to being suprised that the width was better for his computer on the Zeiss, the Panamic has a pretty wide corridor. I am wondering if there is a BC difference between a 1.67 Zeiss and a poly Panamic is and if that is a factor. What was he wearing previously?? How much time a day does he spend on the computer? Is his power high and is that why he is in 1.67?

Bad address email on file
    The Gradal has a wider intermediate, and has better optics in the intermediate. You can never switch from a varilux to a Zeiss, only the other way!

And yes, poly had a lot to do with it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Do you mean that you can never switch from Zeiss to Varilux, but Varilux to Zeiss is OK?

I'm wearing Resolution Poly with my -6.00 Rx and I think it's comparable to my old 1.6 lenses. I think polycarb gets a bad rap. Joe Bruneni (RIP), I think, was a BIG poly fan.

Yes on the first thing.

And with respect to poly craap, Resolution is a totally different ball game than all other poly lenses. Assuming Optima is not doing a good smoke and mirror job, the optics in Res are very good due to the manufacturing process. The only thing wrong with it is their claims on its tintability. It sucks to tint. However varilux aint no Optima... or so we are lead to believe.

Occupation

Wrong ...................................

Occulus Sinister said:

The only thing wrong with it is their claims on its tintability. It sucks to tint.

If you would use Micro Tints you could tint poly to dark shades in just a few minutes. Your statement is fully off key.
    regards

Occupation
    Occulus Sinister said:
    . You can never switch from a varilux to a Zeiss, only the other way!
    I am going to respectfully disagree with you. When the lab I previously worked for lost their Varilux contract we switched lots of accounts from Varilux to Zeiss with minimal problems. I won't say it worked for everybody but it worked.

Re: Wrong ...................................

Chris Ryser said:
    If you would use Micro Tints you could tint poly to dark shades in just a few minutes. Your statement is fully off key.
    regards
    Occulus is NOT fully off key. There is no problem getting resolution dark. The tintable hard coating breaks down very easily. Don't know if your system would solve that or not, but clearly you are making assumtions that are incorrect.

Re: Wrong ...................................

Chris Ryser said:
    regards
    I think mrba said it all. The hard coating stinks after tint on resolution. Wondering if Optima is out there in opti board land and could help us with this...

Chris,
    I am looking into your micro tints... Don't know if its worth the money. As far as being off key, I am told my voice is quite in tune thank you.

regards,
    Occulus

karen said:
    I am going to respectfully disagree with you. When the lab I previously worked for lost their Varilux contract we switched lots of accounts from Varilux to Zeiss with minimal problems. I won't say it worked for everybody but it worked.
    Sorry I reversed it... VARILUX TO ZEISS NO PROBLEM
    ZEISS TO VARILUX NOT OK.
    Thanks Karen

Occupation

Re: Re: Wrong ...................................

Occulus Sinister said:

Chris,
    I am looking into your micro tints... Don't know if its worth the money. As far as being off key, I am told my voice is quite in tune thank you.

regards,
    Occulus
    I am glad, to hear that I was wrong.

There are many different hard coats being used in the optical industry. They usually have a thickness of around 2 microns. Therfore an important factor is the saturation point of loading them up. If it is over the limit you get delamination.

Therfore an important factor is the saturation point of loading them up. If it is over the limit you get delamination.
    Loading them up and saturation point? Do you mean with Pigment?

Occupation
    mrba said:

Loading them up and saturation point? Do you mean with Pigment?
    That's right. Pigment and also time. Some Poly's can be under heat for 15 minutes without problems and go to 5% transmission and others will tolerate a maximum of 12 1/2 minutes with a transmission of 15%.

Example: In both cases, if you keep tinting you will get delamination of the hard coat.

On the new un coated high index materials there is no problem whatesover, they tint to 5% transmission in 5-6 minutes.

Thread Information