Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Future of Opticianry?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Exclamation

I've been asked to give a short talk about the 'Future of Opticianry' at the OAW Spring Convention in April. (This is in addition to my participation on a panel discussion on 'Computer Technology' in which I will shamelessly plug OptiBoard and all the wonderful people on it! :D)

I have my own ideas on what the future holds for our industry, but I'd be interested in seeing your views on this subject. So here's a few opening questions on this issue. Please add your comments and any other issues you think are appropriate.

[list=1][*]What are the biggest obstacles facing Opticians today?[*]Will Opticianry become less or more of a 'profession' in the coming years?[*]In your view are Optician's Associations effective and, if not, how can they become so?[*]What affect do you see refractive surgery having on the future of Opticianry?[*]Are there effective and meaningful educational opportunities in this field? [*]What affect, if any, do you see the large chains having on the profession?[*]What would you do to strengthen this profession?[/list=a]

I'm sure there's many other questions I can't think of right now so feel free to add our own. Thanks!

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Steve, here's some personal opinions:
    1. Take a long look in the mirror, it's us; our willingness to give away our knowledge,skills and position to dispensing doctors, our willingness to lick up the scraps that eyecare "benefit plans" toss us, and our willingness to accept the status quo, like we know it all already(at least I do)ha ha.
    2. I'd weigh that to the "less" side simply because of my answer to number 1. the chains have so diluted the profession with generally less than professional people(ya' gotta have lots of bodies to run all those stores), and many doctors wouldn't know an optician if they walked into your front door, so who do they hire?
    3. associations will become effective when their leadership gets set on unifying the various factions, including optmetric techs and ophthalmic techs, and representing "opticians". my states association presidents earns a living setting up dispensarys for MD practices, now does he represent opticianry, or medicine's interests. I guess it's just where the money is.
    4. Most people having refractive surgery will be back in glasses, if not immediately, when their presbyopia catches up to them.
    5. educational opportunities are relative to motivation. require an educational standard for a license to practice, and see what opportunity appears.
    6. Most large chains have generally degraded the professions of optometry and opticianry, they fight to eliminate educational standards and licensing in order to minimize personnel operating costs (keep wages low), and use deceptive marketing strategies to demean the profession.
    7. encourage opticians to seek better educational standards; support optical professional associations, support licensing efforts in all states, require opticians to have a knowledge of refracting, encourage opticians to be as self-reliant on their own abilities as possible, to become more well rounded, especially in understanding how to be an independent small business, instead of one of a doctor's "hand-tools".
    Now, that i've offended many, I will say that these are my opinions and I have only been an optician for 35 years, so I only know about some of these things from peers in those positions or my dealing with doctors. we all do the best we can until we learn better, bless each of your in your sincere efforts to be the best you can be.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Originally posted by Steve Machol:

[6]What affect, if any, do you see the large chains having on the profession?

Well while i can agree with some of what Al says i also think that they are bring the optical market to the masses in that a lot of people would not bother to go to an optician untill things are real bad as some of their shops dont look over inviting to enter (more like a dentist). They are also bringing a lot more trade to the market in that people are more likly now to have more than just a spare pair of glasses some will have 4 or 5 pairs. Added to the fact that some of their pricing is far more afordable than other outlets, So some people will maybe upgrade to better quality of lens (hi-index ar coats etc) All in all i think that they need to improve some their training and maybe move away from the commission to staff for selling unwanted extra's but they have helped the optical trade to blosom into a lot of new market area's

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve, i have to agree with al in just about every aspect of what he wrote. Being in this business also for 35 years, i have seen many changes. The underlying problem has always been the various factions within the industry itself. The constant bickering among the very organizations that purport to represent us,some very stupid self serving state boards, but most of all the people in the trade, and in particular those who have sold them selves out to the highest bidder. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out if we had all banded together and refused to take insurance, we would not have the mess this has created today. People on state boards who work for major corporations, but claim to have no pecuniary interest in the business. How many other businesses do you know where you can walk in and tell them what your going to pay for there service. Try that at your local car dealership. The only way i ever see this changing is when all factions come together as one voice, under one organization. Unfortunately, i do not see this happening as there will always be the *****s among us who will sell out at any price to do business, no matter how much it degrades the profession.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Originally posted by Steve Machol:
    I will shamelessly plug OptiBoard and all the wonderful people on it!

Am I going to be in it?

Occupation

Originally posted by Maria:
    Am I going to be in it?
    Maria, you'll be mentioned during the shameless part! :D

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve, I have to agree with Al. (No offense taken here) When Opticians take a good look in the mirror and realize the big picture and take resposibililty for the mistakes that were made, the future of Opticianry can be as strong as strong can be.

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm also an oldtimer in optics for over 30 years, and my opinion is that through the years the profession has definately gone downhill, and I do not see much to indicate it will improve in the near future.
    I would say it could improve if there are stricter standards in the industry, the ABO is fairly simple to pass, and the cec's are only as educational as the certified optician pays attention during the class, there are no follow up tests to see if everyone paid attention. It's not right when there are ABO certified opticians that are not able to dispense glasses correctly, cannot do a restring or doesn't know what an aspheric lens is, etc.
    I take alot of pride in the work I do, and I know there are probably many like me that feel really helping patients enjoy better eyesight is enough reward.
    Rich R

Occupation

Steve,
    Your post is indeed thought provoking. Although I am not a 30 + year veteran like some other posters, I feel as though I have certainly been around long enough to understand what goes on and what direction we are headed in.

1. It appears there is no place for a mid-end optical anymore. Either you sell a high volume of eyewear to HMO suscribers by selling low cost eyewear and take on the reputation as a "Discounter" in which many cases also develops a cognative effect of low quality, or you offer something which most others don't and therefore command a higher price for your products and services.
    2. Unfortunately, opticianry is not as a respected profession by those we serve because they are clueless of our responsibilities. This brings me to 3. because I believe most state and national associations are barking up the wrong tree by hiring lobbyists to advocate licensing instead of educating the public which we serve. Once they are told and comprehend there is a difference between the level of care offered by an optician and a frame stylist, they will seek qualified services or put pressure on law makers for consideration of licensing.
    4. Although millions of folks have had refractive surgery, the aging and/or aged populations are not candidates for the procedure and will still need traditional optical services.
    5. Education is and will remain to be a key to success. I had a college professor who had a saying "WHEN YOU THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING, YOU STOP KNOWING ANYTHING" and how true it is. In our technological society, we must learn, understand, and practice our profession based upon new information and products.
    6. Large Chains certainly have been most fluential with their mass advertising campaigns and managed care networks. However, many of the people I talk to are wise to the method of operation of most retailers with their BOGO's, coupons, etc. Therefore, smarter consumers will recognize there are "NO FREE LUNCHES" and level the playing field.
    7. I like to think of myself as being optomistic but know a lot has to be done to see a dream evolve. I make it a point to regularly educate and prove to my clients what makes my service different from others who "ILLIGITIMATELY" call themselves an optician.

Kevin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Steve Here is my little response:

1. We have discovered the enemy!!!! and he is us!

2. "Professional" is a word that means different things to different people. To some it means a diploma to others it means a method of conducting one's self and business. I choose the latter. Opticians are continually plagued with an inferiority complex - you can tell that by how easily they become offended and by the way they brag about how good they are and how bad the other O's are. Act professional and you will be.

3. They are generally myopic, lack adequate visual fields and are run by the above mentioned who have the inferiority complexes - generally. There are exceptions!!!

4. Bring on the surgery and we will fix the problems! There will be unheard of challenges for the professional optician in the future. I wouldn't have the surgery for a million bucks!

5. Every day is an educational opportunity! Those that have stopped learning need to have someone cover them with dirt. Learn everything; vision screening, visual therapy, refraction and surgery if you get the chance!

6. Big business is big business. Most of us have been there at one time or another. They are limited by their bigness. Fat people can't run and big boats can't change course quickly. I don't have to get permission to change my policies tomorrow.

7. Stop pointing the finger at big business, HMO's, Insurance companies, Optometry and Ophthalmology. It is so easy to blame others for our present condition or the feeling we have about our present condition. We have discovered the enemy and he is us!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

I'd like to have a nickle for every time I've written about Opticians being their own worst enemy, on this board and the late Opticians Forum. We can **** and moan about state and national organizations not representing us properly and about self-serving state boards, but unless and until we join these organizations, become active and effect change internally, all we will accomplish is elevated blood pressure and a defeatist attitude. I'm completing my 2-year term as President of the Opticians Association of Virginia and a 2 year term on the Board of Directors at OAA, and perhaps I'm just tired and frustrated but at some point, someone has to get off their butt and do something other than complain. You don't like your state leadership, then join and run for office. You don't like national leadership, join and run for office. You're unhappy with your state board, do what you need to do to be appointed when there's a vacancy. You're dissatisfied with the quality of Opticians in your area, don't hire anyone who doesn't meet your standards and commit yourself to improving the available education. Just quit complaining and do something!

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Judy:

There have been quite a few posts regarding the above topics lately. Thank you for an honest and logical reply (you should become a motivational speaker). Shut up and put up or get off your butt and make like you are a professional; it is that simple at this point.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Steve, this is a great topic!!
    I think that the future can be bright, but only if WE stop selling our selves short! Like Al, Homer, and Judy I'm tired of all the pissing and moaning. For those young Opticians out there,how much do you work for? Do you set your pay, or does the Optom's? As for as state and national org's, Judy said it! They are only as strong as the members!!!! How many of us that are states that require a Lic., see dispensing going on with-out a LDO? Have YOU reported this Illegal activity? The bottom line(in my humble assesment)WE need to take care of our own.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

1.) I agree with a lot of what's been said. However, beyond being our own worst enemy, we also suffer from living in a world that has a "Wal-Mart" mentality (which is another reason there are fewer "mid-range" opticals out there). People want it quicker and cheaper- if it breaks, they'll throw it away and buy a new one.
    In addition, the internet has placed a lot of power in the hands of consumers. Today's consumer can get a lot of the information s/he thinks s/he needs on-line. The result is that professional opinion is regarded as having less and less importance.

2.) From what I've seen and heard, it seems the profession as a whole is on a downward spiral- and I see little being done to turn that trend around (other than the creation of education programs by the NFOS and other groups). It seems to me Opticianry cannot advance any further without a formal education standard.

3.) Effective at what? If you mean effective at promoting the profession, the answer is "no." Beyond having more people "join up," (which is good advice, Judy), the organizations need to "tune in" to the needs and wants of their membership. For example, can someone explain to me why we had 3 different distance learning education programs introduced last year? Couldn't the various groups come together to more efficiently and effectively promote one, unified program? The answer is "no," partly because the different groups serve different needs- but partly because the leadership of each group seems incapable of working with the leadership of the other groups.

4.) None. I say that as I type from behind my -0.25 -0.25 x090 OU spectacles. LASIK is good at lessening the Rx, but glasses will always be a necessary part of life.

5.) Sure there are. I still believe learning on the job is potentially a great way to enter the field. Beyond that, I have noticed an increase in the quality of the average CEC being given out there (there may be some who disagree with this, however).

6.) Positive, in that they draw large numbers of people into the field and often give them their first steps towards competence in the field. Superopticals can be a wonderful place to gain a lot of experience in a relatively short time. Negative, because many of these same chains either resist efforts by Opticianry to further itself legislatively- and some refuse to fully train their employees (even though it would arguably be in their own best interest to do so).

7.) Mandatory education standards, one national organization, and better public awareness of the particular skills associated with professional Opticianry.

Pete

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great subject and the points made have been important. The fact remains that the customer pays our salary. If glasses cost $99.95, how many do we need to sell in order to pay the dispenser a quality salary. If you are motivated and capable enough to understand opticianry at the level the board members here do, you could have gone many places in industry and have been paid a lot more money. We need to find out what the consumer wants and only hope that is not the cheapest products and service. At present that seems to be the trend and it does not look good for the profession. I know that people want quality service I just do not think that they know this until we show them that it is available. We have an uphill battle, the only hope I have seen lately are in the posts of the sharp motivated people on Optiboard.

Just my two cents

Bill

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A couple of points...

LASIK is not the "be all, end all" of optical. Having worked for several LASIK surgeons, I can guarantee optical will not be lacking customers.

To a point made by Al, first let me say I value all opinions given forth here on Optiboard. You cannot have meaningful dialogue without someone speaking up.

Now to the meat...Al, I have worked for the main chain...LC, I have worked for doctors and I have worked in the private sector. I was released from my position two weeks ago by an owner with severe money problems. I start a new job on Monday for an ophthalmologist.

It has been my experience that an ophthalmologist has the funds necessary to keep an optical open, and if the optician looks carefully, you can find an ophthalmologist who is willing to take you under their wing and teach you some of the medical aspects. If I am correct, some of the NY state exam covers some intensive questioning on the medical aspect of opticianry.

As for doctors having optical shops in their locations, optoms for years have had optical dispensaries at their locations...My years growing up in Connecticut have led me to many an optom and their shops. I also used private concerns back home for my eyeglass purchases.

There didn't seem to be a lack of business for the individual shops or the optoms. It was only when the chains opened that opticians started to complain.

I have learned a lot from the ophthalmolgists I haved worked under and they have learned a lot from me.

If the private sector is having trouble in obtaining customers, maybe they need to rethink their business strategies.

Bob V

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1. What are the biggest obstacles facing Opticians today?
    I think the lack of qualified opticians and the scarcity of candidates going to school to become opticians.

2. Will Opticianry become less or more of a 'profession' in the coming years?
    Unfortunately, I think less. We are losing the newcomers to the computer field. I think people interested in a technical field are beginning to gravitate that way.

3. In your view are Optician's Associations effective and, if not, how can they become so?
    I think they are valuable in promoting their agendas. As long as your agenda is the same it is fine. I think they can become more effective by taking the "clique" out of them and making all people feel included instead of the "chosen few". Sorry guys, but I have always felt it was for the few not the majority (I just know I am going to get chewed for this one!).

4. What affect do you see refractive surgery having on the future of Opticianry?
    I think it is our biggest threat. Prices keep dropping on the procedure and it is becoming more cost effective for people to pursue. I think it will dwindle our business. At least we will always have the reader market!

5. Are there effective and meaningful educational opportunities in this field?
    I also see the number of schools teaching opticianry dwindling as more classes are being offered on-line. I think, though, that attending classes gives you the oppurtunity to network and learn things you never get the benefit of in a classroom.

6. What affect, if any, do you see the large chains having on the profession?
    I will first say that I work for a chain! I think that chains will increase in the market and the independent opticals will continue to exist as well. I think as long as you provide a service and do it well (be it a chain or an independent) people will come to you no matter where you happen to work. The best advertisement is word of mouth!

7. What would you do to strengthen this profession?
    I think to remove the barriers we have placed between independents and the chains. As long as their is in-fighting, bickering and finger pointing I think it will keep us polarized (us against them). I think that if we drop our titles and mindsets we will grow and strenghten the profession as a whole.

This has been my humble opinion. Should you have any comments feel free to post them in this forum or e-mail me directly.

OptiBoard Novice
    I think the future lies in all of us taking a step back. Into the past that is. The only obstacle for us today is forgetting what our job really is. When I first started in this business fifteen years ago a very wise person described the job of optician in a way that has stuck with me all these years. Our job is not to sell glasses to customers. Our job is in fact not unlike that of a pharmacist, to fill a prescription. We should not try to sell a customer the best frame and the best lens. But we should fill the patients prescription with the best product we have to offer them. Not necessarily the most expensive of what we have to offer, but the absolute best product for their individual prescription.

It seems to me that over the years many in our profession have forgotten that each patient that walks in our offices is their for our help. If they knew what benefits and features were best for them, they wouldn't be coming to us for help.

I think the integrity and future of our profession, which I happen to love and respect very much, lies in our approach. If everyone would stop worrying so much about making the biggest sell and worry more about offering your patient all your knowledge, the big sale would be there. And along with that one big sale would come many more and a much higher profit in the end. When we take the time to fill each prescription with the best product for that individual, you increase your sales because they know what and why they are buying and you also reduce your incidence of remakes and refunds which we all know increases profit.

This approach does not take any more time than any other. In fact when you consider that your customers, most, will be satisfied from the beginning, it probably takes a lot less.

OptiBoard Professional

Steve I would have to agree with Al the Wizard. In New York we have seen a steady
    decline of knowledge and just plain common
    sense. When I took the state boards in 1973
    I had to sit for testing for three days. We
    took two tests per day for three days and on the forth day we had a half day practical.
    With the advent of the large chains going after the buck they leave nothing to stand in the way and I mean nothing. By the way
    Al your State president should be fired. If
    he doesn't see the conflict of interest then
    his interests are exactly where the big chains are, with the money. Steve your right
    look at the deceptive campaign that lenscrafters uses by saying we are not trying to take over the market we want to
    get people to your office also. What a croc.
    As long as you have the big boys in the game
    you will never see opticians well organized.
    They may think they are but there not. And That's another lie perpetrated by the big companies that run this industry. They all
    run around saying we give educational seminars and we keep our opticians trained
    by these meetings. Truth is their Mickey mouse meetings with very little substance.

[This message has been edited by rfish777 (edited 03-21-2001).]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

After 35 years of this profession I remain amazed at how we as individuals have taken a back seat to reality. We have allowed employers from any and all sectors to dominate. If it wasn't US Shoe, it was Sears. If not Sears it is Wal Mart. The first home grown retailer was EyeLab, A nice try. No wonder they have all had a crack at it . . . as individuals we never really set a standard for excellence. We've left it to "the employer." So, they did. As for excellence in craftsmanship . . . when the so-called professionals redesigned the "new" ABO exams 20 years ago, those of us who sat for 4 days for an exam, learned from the masters even on the college level (The Mark Shupnicks, John Archers etc.), kringed. Did anyone want to learn from the graduates of Otto Krause, or Zeiss? Not too many of us had respect for the word craftsmanship and discipline . . . how to deal with mitres, what were the right tools to use, how to sit and look at a prescription and instantly, in a matter of nanoseconds, perform a single vision or presbyopic prescription analysis, and order glasses "just a little different to make vision clear AND COMFORTABLE. Today, I see people with ABO Certifications who can't hold a file, and when they see an old master nurturing his product make comments like . .. "What are you doing, the customer will never see it?" Who gave them that certificate? How in hell did that former perfume counter jockey get that job? I see manufacturers send out reps to do seminars who never trained in their life . .. just presented. I am well trained and educated in computer aided training . . . sorry guys . . . you can't train a craft without a teacher and a tool . . . there's no such thing as a cyberoptician . . . and the more we pump out, the weaker the breed. And, my point is . . . WE have given it away. Can we get it back? No. Then what? I know what I'd like to do. Gather the masters, set a doctrine, create new masters, promote excellence in craftsmanship, redefine optician to include medical optician, retail optician, manageing optician, laboratory optician, certify them as such, figure out a way to associate a value to experience and education, and get some stepping stone laws that require licensing for each step. We won't win them all, but we can start.

OptiBoard Professional

Alan W. great point. I was the who mentioned he sat for four days for my exams.
    When I obtained a Job the firm that hired me
    would not let me touch a single person until
    I assembled various temples, fronts into glasses. Then when I had the opportunity to
    dispense I was overseen by a colleague with at least 1 or more years experience. I was not allowed for 9 months to let anyone go without approval from one of the veterans. And you know what I would not have it any other way, I learned so much in those nine months that it is invaluable.

[This message has been edited by rfish777 (edited 03-22-2001).]

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

OK, ladies and gentlemen, it's now time to accomplish 2 projects on OptiBoard. First, we will define "Optician" and then, we will begin to assemble some consumer-oriented FAQs that could be accessed by the public.
    Before you begin, please find the definition that is used by your state, if your state defines "Optician" in any fashion, and use that as your foundation. Definitions, by nature, are clear, concise and somewhat generic. Remember, this definition may be used by many organizations, and should be the foundation for the first FAQ, "What is an Optician?"
    Good luck and start your research!

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I also have to agree fully with Alan, but what caught my eye was the name John Archer, I did some work together with a John E. Archer in the late 1980's, just wondered if it was the same as mentioned, he taught many years at College of Optometry in L.A. before I met him.
    Rich R.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Rich
    Yes . . . Dr. John Archer was my mentor, professor, friend. He was Chairman of the Department of Optics at LA City College. A finer professional never lived. When I graduated that school with my ABO Certification and a Degree in Optics I was truly educated. But, it was the next man inline who I hold in equal esteem, Russell Stimson, who was President of Superior Optical, who carried the education to the point of service with grace and incredible craftsmanship and ethics. At Superior I worked along side of the finest opticians on the West Coast who were local and European trained. I learned what zero tolerance was and impeccable attention to quality in materials and optics. I am a proud optician at heart and practice. Unfortunately, as I learned later on, there is no one around to promote the quality etc. you and I share. Instead, we have to defend it in the shadow of perfume counter recruits and price based retailers. When I look at my ABO Certificate, it is twice the size of my perfume counter counterpart. It has the number 647L on it, and I am told its no more credible than the new one. That's my point. WE gave it away. WE have been and are being walked on. Ain't nobody's fault but are own.

Judy, answering your very strong and well placed posting . . . we can no longer define optician with one definition, in my mind. We must redifine and specialize it and force lesser people with certification and accreditation to pick their war so they can't take us all down at the same time. If you are a retail optician you sell and learn principles of merchandising and display so on and so forth, if you are a manageing optician you are trained in management skills, if you are a medical optician be trained for it and licensed for it. And, if you dare step into a lab or make decisions on optical centers, compensating for prism discovered by analysis, and mess with someones prescription and you are not licensed to as a certified laboratory optician would, get the hell out of the lab! That's what I feel. Thanks.

Whew . . . . I need to take another Prozac. I'm so ferklempt!

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Judy:
    http://www.cga.state.ct.us/lco/..\2001/pub/Chap381.htm

CT STATE STATUTES
    Sec. 20-145. Definition of licensed optician. A licensed optician, for the purposes of this chapter, shall be defined as follows: One having a knowledge of optics and skilled in the technique of producing and reproducing ophthalmic lenses and kindred products and mounting the same to supporting materials and the fitting of the same to the eyes.
    (1949 Rev., S. 4520; P.A. 80-484, S. 154, 176.)
    History: P.A. 80-484 deleted definition of "mechanical optician".
    Cited. 132 C. 35.

Thread Information