Thread: Tour de Georgia

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Tour de Georgia

Any cycling fans out there? I'm betting against it since we seem to be somewhat of a rare breed in the US, but anyway...

The Tour de GA is coming through my backyard again this year. I'm very excited. I followed it last year, when it drew about 250,000 spectators but this year with the likes of Lance Armstrong, Bobby Julich, and Mario Cipollini could draw upwards of 1 million.

This will be the first time I've gotten to see Lance race since I used to follow the Tours du Pont up and down the east coast (pre-cancer and TdF victory days)

My mother-in-law (cancer survivor) and wife are doing the Relay for Life in Dahlonega the day the 5th stage of the tour finishes in Dahlonega. Rumor is that LA is going to walk the first lap with the cancer survivors, which is very exciting since my cycling addiction has rubbed of on my in-laws and they've been following LA in the TdF for several years now.

I plan on camping out on top of Brasstown Bald (the highest point in GA) for the stage 6 finish. The climb is supposed to rival some of the big climbs in the Tour de France. I'm going to scout it out tomorrow.

-KB

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    KB

Done the Pan Mass Challange from 1997 - 2000. Also did the Baja in 1999. Too old now. As Bill Russell of the Celtics said, "the legs go first." He knew what he was talking about.

My son and his bride will cycle from New Hampshire to Oregon next year. Ahhh . . .youth.

Dick

Thread Information