Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is trivex all that?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Is trivex all that?

I'm thinking about using Trivex in the future as an upgraded lens option to spherical polycarbonate, probably packaged with edge polish and AR coating. I'd like it to retail as a "package price" of no more than $199, if it's do-able.

My local Hoya lab has quality issues, so I'm not going to use Phoenix. That would leave me with Younger's Trilogy (except for that new Korean company).

My questions to the board:

Trilogy is available as aspheric, right?

Is Trilogy harder to AR coat? Is there some learning curve for the optical lab?

Trilogy doesn't get that free satin edge polish on the edger like polycarb does, right?

Thank you.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Perhaps I missed something.....

Is Trivex all what?

1. It is available as aspheric

2. There seem to be no AR issues

3. Mine seem to have polished up real fine

4. With all due respect, I wouldn't shortchange Trilogy because of a problem with your local lab. Its a great product, or more properly put, I love mine. If you are having a problem with your local lab- that is not the fault of the product. Take it up with your lab so they can address it. If they can't, look for another lab.

best from hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Re: Is trivex all that?

drk said:
    Trilogy doesn't get that free satin edge polish on the edger like polycarb does, right?
    It does if you send it to my lab:bbg:

Keep in mind that it is a mid index so it will be slightly thicker than poly. I am one of those people that actually can see the abberations in poly. I love this material and wear it in quite a few of my glasses
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    drk,

Trivex material lenses are available in an aspheric design ......... I have not incurred any issues with AR problems ....... just like Karen, if I fill a Trivex based Rx, the lenses are processed with edge polish at no additional fee .......... Trivex lenses are billed at the exact same price as poly and warrantied against failure at the drill hole

Sorry to hear about any quality issues ......... :( ......... the Hoya labs have always worked diligently to insure all orders meet the exact specs I submit

The PPG folks in my opinion are a shining star to our industy ..... PPG, the Hoya group & the Younger lens company have done an amazing job in making sure I am always in tune with the latest technology......... customer service, marketing & solutions are never more than a phone call away.......... the Trivex companies have made our lab's dream come true : once the job is shipped , it stays shipped !

B

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Amen Billy!

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thank you all, for your imput.

Billy, I am an admirer of your work.

It sounds like Trivex will do a nice job for me.

(As to the Hoya lab, it is not meant as a disparagement to Hoya. My repeated experience has been that there are personnel issues at the particular one I have used)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Drk,

Hi, My name is David

EXCELITE INC is a U.S. company. Contrary to what people think it is not a Korean company. C.J. the president is Korean. I am the office manager and was born in Columbus OH. Hence my user name OSUTACO. I graduated from OSU and am a proud Buckeye. My nickname in college was Taco so it is a perfect fit.

EXCELITE INC. is located in the Optical Village here in Columbus, so we are neighbors. We are a distributor of Trivex lenses to wholesale labs.
    Right now we have TVX FSV HC and TVX FSV HC AR. I would be happy to give you more info about this and of some wholesale labs you can contact.

In my opion Trivex is all that and a bag of chips. I just think people are not educated enough about Trivex. I know I wasn't at first.

If you need more just let me know.

Drk

Try superfin by indo. Superior optics to trivex. Same thickness. Easier for the lab to process (trivex is not easy to process, and anyone from any lab would be lying if they said it was). Cheaper than trivex.

Most impressive in drill mounts (absolutley no stress unlike trivex or poly).

I have found trivex to not be as scratch resistant as I would prefer.

Oh and the trilogy is aspheric by default. Phoenix is not.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Thumbs up

Hey,
    I just found out Shamir's making their progressive in Trivex. That's a better design than the Younger Image, I'd say. Cool.:cheers:

Right now Younger is by far the best PAL availbale in trivex. Image aint so bad doc! Better than the dark side's desighns.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    No, its not- but y'all enjoy using the stuff! As for Image vs. Genesis and Hoya designs...

On second thought, why bother?

Pete "make mine a polycarbonate please" Hanlin
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Pete Hanlin said:

Pete "make mine a polycarbonate please" Hanlin
    If younger isn't the best PAL in trivex then what is??? Hoya (give me some more cyl) wide?

mr(make mine glass please)ba

Occupation
    Optometrist
    MRBA:
    Genesis is a very decent design, and you know it!

Pete:
    Really, I'm the polycarbonate guy, too. But it's tough to discount what the Brock-man says. He should know. I'm thinking about rimless, after what everyone says about drilling.

I should try to get my lab to buy some of Ryser's polycarb stuff for the drill holes.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    drk,

I respect Billy immensely and do not dispute that it is possible to crack a polycarbonate lens that has been drill mounted. Scratch coatings affect polycarbonate's resistance to splitting more dramatically than Trivex (coincidentally, scratch coatings affect the impact resistance of Trivex more dramatically than polycarbonate, however).

All that said, polycarbonate isn't that difficult to drill properly. Using the proper processes (drill speed, size, motion, and chamfering), a drill mount frame with polycarbonate lenses can be extremely durable.

Perhaps for Billy, whose business is- I believe- pretty much solely comprised of particularly delicate drill mount work, it makes sense to go with a material whose primary benefit (in my reckoning- only benefit) is an extremely high resistance to splitting. However, most laboratories who switch to Trivex for drill mounts because of "poly problems" do so because they have variables in their processing that lower the consistency of drill mount quality. In these cases, Trivex is being used to mask an underlying processing problem. I've seen too many samples of "defective" lenses with no chamfering and improper hole sizing, melting around the holes, etc. to believe otherwise.

In the years before leaving dispensing, I drilled 100s of Silhouettes (one of the easiest mounting drill mounts, IMHO) with poly- and a few with CR-39- with no issue. I mean, we had perhaps 3 or 4 frames return with cracked poly lenses, but most of the time the frames themselves looked like a pretzel from being run over by something or other.

As for designs, Genesis is a good design, as is HoyaWide (my mom still wears a pair I made for her years ago as her gardening glasses- the Rx is outdated, but the ADD is now great for intermediate work).

In summary, Trivex is an interesting material that does drill nicely. The question was, however, is it "all that." The answer is- absolutely not. For those who consider a challenging to edge, low index, not-particularly-thin product with a- yawn- abbe value closer to poly than to CR-39 and limited design availability to be "all that," I invite you to wake up and smell the high index edging!

But, that's just my personal opinion...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

drk said:
    MRBA:
    Genesis is a very decent design, and you know it!
    Decent isn't a compliment! Its as good as a younger for sure, but not yet available.

Pete Hanlin said:
    The question was, however, is it "all that." The answer is- absolutely not. For those who consider a challenging to edge, low index, not-particularly-thin product with a- yawn- abbe value closer to poly than to CR-39 and limited design availability to be "all that," I invite you to wake up and smell the high index edging!
    Trivex-Not challenging to edge for those with skill level above trained monkey. Abbe schmabbe, it lacks the distortion of poly (and has a higher/comprable abbe than your high index I may add). Not thin.

Superfin- Resembles Cr39 in abbe, optics, but no stress for drill mounts, easy to edge. Same thin as Trivex. I like this one better.

Neither are made by Essilor, who in the opinion of some, missed the boat on alternatives to Poly.

Otherwise known as Polycra*

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    The Genesis IS now available in Trivex, BTW.

keithbenjamin said:
    The Genesis IS now available in Trivex, BTW.
    Thank You Merlin

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Trivex and related Internet links

As Trivex continues to be a popular topic here, and as all Trivex lens products put together only have a small market share at present, I did not think it would be "out of line" for me to post some Trivex and related Internet links. I am definitely not trying to promote any particular product. But if these Internet links will help generate more posts about Trivex and similar new materials, I may pick up some new technical and product related information myself, which is my objective.

PPG Optical Trivex home page / Trivex data
    Excelite Inc. / Trivex lenses as "TVX"
    Excelite is part of Thai Optical Group
    Hoya / Trivex lenses as "Phoenix"
    Shamir Genesis PAL in Trivex
    Younger Optics / Trivex as "Trilogy"
    Intercast Europe / Trivex as "NXT"
    NXT-VISION web site / Intercast Europe

Sola Sunlens offers Poly-Flex and Flex-Eyes lenses / not exactly Trivex, but "read" somewhat similar to me.
    Sola Sunlens / Poly-Flex and Flex-Eyes

And there are a few more new lens materials out there on the Internet, for any other (equally manic) Internet explorers to find. But I think that any more of this on my part would become too much like promoting specific product(s). If anyone knows of other lens manufacturers that are offering Trivex lenses, I hope that they will post it where I can see it on this or another Trivex related thread.

Part of my continuing effort to make life more difficult for OptiBoard's optical dispensers by expanding their "product space" to the maximum extent possible.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 08-21-2004 at 10:28 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    So, what's wrong with using plastic lenses in drill mounts? Billy knows that is not a problem, either. and when we were doing tons of them together, the sizes were much larger, and thickness too. now it is less of a problem since the lens sizes are so small; we rarely do a drill job in poly, haven't tried any trivex, since we mostly do pal designs and there hasn't been a decent design in trivex...not everyone that wants a drill mount wants to pay for a premium lens material that's not necessary...

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We sometimes do underestimate CR-39 for drill mounts. The thing is with poly or trivex you can sell drill mounts to everyone, but with cr-39 they have to be a little more careful. Basically they just can't toss them around, or step or sit on them.

We did CR-39 for a while, back when drill mounts started to slowly comeback with the Timon Minima. We never had one break. Now we use poly, but we also sell it to a much wider clientele.

Occupation
    For-Life,

Minima is such an awesome frame ..... quality is unbeatable ! ....... combined with Trivex, IMHO you have as close to an undestructable pair of eyewear as possible. We love titanium & Trivex !

B

So, what's wrong with using plastic lenses in drill mounts?
    making a pair twice is not my cup of tea...

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    mrba..the ONLY times we have trouble with drill mounts is when we use poly, so what would you do?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

so, how is surfacing for Trivex??

I've only come across Trivex in the past couple of months, through the rumblings I hear from my company's home office. They are now offering the lens in selected markets, but it seems that it may be pulled in the near future because of "problems" our specialties lab is having with the surfacing. I'm interested if anyone has surfaced these lenses and what kinds of difficulties might have been encountered (and are there special pads, cutters and fining/polishing slurries that have to be used?), I hear that the finishing isn't so much of a problem, especially with the wicked-looking roughing wheel we got for our edger (one of my coworkers at another store installed his to test out on other materials).

My wife has sold a few sets already at her office and she says it's far better than any poly lens she's ever seen, although it is really darned expensive.

oh... and as far as three-piece frames go, I've had a pair of hi-index lenses in a Marchon Accu-Flex frame for some time now (used to demo flexon to pts with it) and I've never had a problem with flaking or cracking. Alternately, my poly pair hasn't any problems either... but they are too thick for the frame mounts and the bushings fall out on a regular basis, serves me right for using a frame that relies on flimsy vinyl bushings (my next pair will have bolts like my marchon).

Thread Information