Thread: Safilo and ......MARSHAL's???

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Safilo and ......MARSHAL's???

Ok, I got some rather distubing info that I would like to post and see how many of you heard the same.

According to a source, Safilo has agreed to supply Marshalls outlets with discontinued sunglasses that will retail from $10-$35. The suns will include all lines that Safilo has discontinued - even designer.

This will make selling a little more difficult as one will have to either drop the lines, or, do a lot of back peddling to expalin discontinued and current trends. Either way, if the consumer sees Polo - its still Polo and they got it a third less than from you.

Your thoughts are welcomed

:cheers:

Cowboy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cowboy, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it! I think that anyone that shops at Marshalls is well aware of the fact that what you see is what you get and don't expect to get the same thing again next week.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Costco, sells disco Maui Jims and MJ readily informs accounts of this process.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

"Off Fifth" Saks outlet sells fendi and safilo for about 30$. I have seen Oliver Peoples in NY for about 30...

Its normal... And Marshals customers aren't really your customers are they?

I have had 5 or 6 customers this year and about 15 last year that brought in suns from Marshalls to be RX.

Most of these customers had bought Suns from me in the past. I think the whole thing stinks.

If these companies want to dump closeouts or overstocks sell them to us. Some of these styles are real nice and don't look like your usual closeout's.

Maui did make a 3 year deal with costco. After enough people complained they said they would not sell to them after that. I HOPE SO!

COWBOY
    It's not just Safilo It's also Marchon, Clearvision and Marcolin.

A few years ago Marshalls only had junk for suns now they have $200 to $300 Gucci ect for $10.

Yeah I would'nt worry
    :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fletch, I believe that most manufacturers will sell you closeouts! Some reps have sheets with available styles, that you can chose what you'd like in sizes and colors. Others will sell you grab bags with assortments that you have no choice of what you get.
    So, if you'd like you can offer the same deal that Marshalls or others do.
    I also think that if they were at Marshalls and bought those sunglasses that it was an impulse purchase and you probably got a lens order that you would not have gotten had they not got a deal on the sunglasses to begin with.

I have some friends that can get close outs if you want them... Another thing you could try is to carry exclusive high end botique lines that don't do close outs...

Maybe you could do this, make more and be a blessing in disquise?

I know about closeouts. The problem is is that Marshalls is selling Gucci and others for $25 or less. Why would I waste my time! And how could I sell a $250 Gucci if I had one for $25

I wish these companies would only sell to us and not to deep discounters like Marshalls. I don't even mind Costco and Bj's as much because at least they are getting more.

Back to closeouts. Many might not agree with this one but I bought some Brooks Brothers closeouts. I went to Lenscrafters and they had many of the same styles and they sold them for full price. I think that is the way to do it!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Everyone loves a bargain! Some people won't buy ANYTHING that is not on sale! Myself included! I have a display of 150 frames that are closeouts, which I sell at a reduced price. I make it very clear that they are discontinued, and that what you see is what you get. People that want that spare pair or a pair for the computer buy them. I've had quite a few people get several, just because it's a good deal. I've had them buy the frame only, so that they can put lenses in it when they get a new rx.
    Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, they all make big bucks selling nothing but closeouts! Imagine that!

Cme4specs

I agree with most of what you said. But Marshalls is just selling them much to cheap. I think that just cheapens the names that they sell. Plus they work on volume. I they sold them for $60 or $70 I would not have such a problem. The other problem is that they price them at $20 and say compared to $50 when the wholesale price was more than that to begin with.

Safilo and Marchon will keep selling to these stores unless it costs them some business.

If Revo showed up in Marshalls for $20 I bet people would go crazy!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fletch, I do understand your frustration.
    Frame companies make frames, they try to sell them to us and if they can't they unload them however they can to recoup their investment. Like I said most companies do offer us the closeouts. I'm sure if all of us bought them then they wouldn't have any to sell to Marshalls.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In regards to the closeout products being distributed at rediculously low prices from companies such as Marshalls, it devaluizes the name(s) of which we carry at full retail. In turn, it devaluizes the "Professional" and their choice of inventories. If a company wants to get return on its investment, take the Gucci name and rename it with Saks and call it a 'new style' instead of dumping the "Valued Names" in a discounters corner. It is not a matter of worry, rather, it is a frustration because it seems more and more that the small private professional practice gets another slap it the face. How can you promote quality of brand when it is cheapend by its producers!?!

Cowboy

Cowboy!

You said it better then me!

Right on the mark!

Thread Information