Thread: Thin/comfortable toric lenses?

OptiBoard Novice

Thin/comfortable toric lenses?

Could anyone advise me which are the thinest toric lenses?
    My optician has tried me on Focus Dailies toric, which i found too thick, as they kept irritating my eye lids, but otherwise the vision was good.
    Now i'm on Acuvue Torics, which whilst more comfortable and not as irritating, leave the vision in my left eye in and out of focus every hour or so.
    I need the torics for my left eye only as you can hopefully see from my glasses rx below:
    R eye: sph. -2.25, cyl. -1.00, Axis 15
    L eye: sph. -2.00, cyl. -1.25, Axis 165
    Previously i've been happy wearing 1-day Acuvues (base curve of 9.0, power of -2.25 in both eyes), but the vision in my left eye was desperately in need of correction for my astigmatasim!
    Any suggestions?

OptiWizard
    Although thinness is important it isn't the only factor for comfort. So don't get hung up on that factor alone. It may be a question of the right fit and the right edge design to match your eyes. Both those lenses are thin. The biomedic toric and the encore toric are good lenses, the soflens 66 toric is one of my favorites for comfort and visual acuity. There are many good lenses availableand you may need to try a few. Be patient, it's part of the process. Also i do believe you need the toric for both eyes not just the left. Good luck:cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lee:

Could be that you need an actual contact lens fitter, see the CLSA web page for one in your area.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lee,

The contact lens fitting process, as I am sure you know, can be rather lengthy, especially if you are trying new brands. I agree with Stopper, thickness is not always an issue. Determining what the major reason for discomfort would be first priority. Are the eyes dry, do you feel like there is an eyelash under the lid, is the vision not as accute as you would like, etc. We can talk about thickness, water content, material, edge cut, base curve, diameter, and on. With as many Toric lenses out there, sometimes if the exact problem cannot be pinpointed, then you should accept trial and error. I am sure that your contact lens fitter will base choice of lens on some of your specific complaints, but each new lens may stir a new discomfort. If you can't seem to get satisfaction, try a new person.

Hope I was of help.

Cowboy.

Bad address email on file
    "Now i'm on Acuvue Torics, which whilst more comfortable and not as irritating, leave the vision in my left eye in and out of focus every hour or so."

leeamiesg,

I believe the reason the vision in your left eye goes in and out of focus is because the lens is rotating. I believe that means you need some adjustment in the fit of the lens.

Fitting for toric lenses is more involved than for spherical lenses. You go through a "trial" period with a lens, then as it is determined that changes are needed for a better fit, you have a trial period with another lens with different specifications, and this may be repeated several times until the proper fit is acheived.

OptiBoard Novice
    thanks for all your help, i'll pass on the comments to my optician.

Cheers

Guy

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lee:

Soft lenses can "go in and out of focus if the lens is too larger or too short (steep) in curvature (excess sagital depth) this is true of both spherical or toric lenses. Same can be true for a lens that is too small or too flat (inadequate sagital depth.)
    In addittion toric lenses can rotate (usually indicateing a lens that is too flat/small) inadequate sagital depth.

The former can be detected by checking the front curvature of the lens on the eye, if it varies between just after squeezing the lids tight and relaxed "haven't blinked for a few seconds) it's probably too steep. Rotation and excess movement can easily be observed in the slit-lamp. If your optician can't find this when it's there, you need another contact lens fitter.

Chip

Thread Information