Thread: Best ARC for poly 28's

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best ARC for poly 28's

Any preferences out there?

This is for my Dad, +1.00 ou with a +2.00 add going into a Silhouette titan. No interest at all in progessives.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ray

Occupation
    Optical Retail

ft 28 in silhouette titan

FT 28 in a Silhouette Titan???? That sounds like an oxymoron to me. The two sure don't go together.
    If that was my dad, I would make the progressive and not say a word. He will probably love them. If he doesn't, remake to the bifocal in a dinosaur frame.

We usually use the Zeiss Gold AR. Too bad Crizal and ALize aren't available on FT 28 poly's. Don't use the Reflection Free because it seems to scratch alot on the poly lenses. ;)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well my dad has been wearing 28's for about 20 years and very specificly said he did not want progressives. In my few years of experience, I've found that giving somebody something they specificly said they did not want, was generally not a good idea.

The reasoning behind the titan was that he has a very wide head and has been very limited on what will fit him. This is a frame choice based on comfort not style. However I do belive that even with the 28 it will look far better than the huge aviators that he has had to go with previously.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had so many problems with Reflection Free when I used to work for LC that I will never sell it again. So no worries there.
    Last edited by Ray Parent; 03-18-2004 at 10:34 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Ray...I agree with you........if you force people to try it will backfire on you. I was just thinking your dad is probably 60 ish and is needing a trifocal now because he has lost his intermediate vision also. I have put tons of people in progressives when they were afraid to try them. I just tell them about the guarantee. Then they usually want to try. It is similar to trying contacts...how do we know till we try it.

Some of these old guys have pre-conceived ideas about progressives. They usually knew somebody who hated them 20 years ago. I have very few non-adapts. They are always people who don't keep their glasses on. I try not to sell progressives to them. Progressives are not readers. If they want something to read with, they should get readers.

Since it is your dad, I am sure you will give him cost. I never give up trying. Just curious...what was his reason for not wanting progressives?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As I am about to leave for work, I need to make this quick.

He has no problems with the intermediate. He does a lot of close up work in the 6-8 in range and a lot of distance. He also tried progressives about 5 years ago for about 2 months and did not like them.

This really wasn't intended to be a thread about my dad's preferences for lenses. I've got far more experience working with progressives than I do with putting a good AR coating on poly 28's.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Zeiss is probably going to be your best bet.

As for dad's, mine is the same way (wears exec. bifocals still). I tell him about the new products and then give him what he wants no questions asked. I agree you did the right thing with him.

UFRICH:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Don't force your dad ...................

Ray Parent said:

He also tried progressives about 5 years ago for about 2 months and did not like them.

I am a dad and have been around when the SL (Societe des Lunettiers in Paris) who then became Essilor introduced the first progressive.

When I was in the retail I sold tons of Varilux have a few pairs and never wear them unless I HAVE to look fashionable.

For my own purpose I prefer my ST35 these days and I am happy with them. (One pair for every purpose) I love the clear clean vision without distortion p-lus tyhe wide reading segment.

So don't make your dad wear a progressive of any make. Somebody is sold and used to wear a large size straight top will never get used to a progressive.

All the people you start with a fist time pair of progressive glasses will be used to them when they get older. You will not succed to convert your dad, and you could not convert me.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I know you can put on UTMC, but if you can get Zeiss that would be much better. I think Sola Teflon can be applied, if so, that is the one that you want to use.

Thread Information