Thread: Mobile Opticians

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Wave Mobile Opticians

Are any of you mobile opticians? I have been thinking about doing this and would like to know the pros and cons.

I have a friend that goes to old folks homes and does this... Not very often though. Perhaps you could team up with an OD that wants to do this with you?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had a few set up vans around here a few years ago, all are out of business now.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Its been tried many times......

I've not heard of one that was sucessfull, but thats no reason not to give it a shot. There was a guy from Ohio selling franchises a few years back, try a google search and you may find him if he's still around. Good luck
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Here's my take...

Mobil opticians have a very limited pool of clients. This means that the success of the venture will also be limited. Why? People, in general, like to go out for an experience. They want the tangible product, the instant gratification and service. Not to say that a mobil opt. can't provide good service, rather, in most cases, cannot produce the product on site. This is what I do, and I guess I could be considered as a mobil opt. I have my office where the consumer can come and sit. Choose products, converse and feel relaxed. If they have time constraints, I offer my service to drive to their location of choice and dispense on sight. I advertise this service. I also will make trips to a location with a bag of frames (neatly aranged) based on information i gather from the patient during the phone screening process. This has proven to be more effective than having an oversized van driving up and letting the buyer enter the vehicle. I go to their playing field i.e., their office or home.

Hope this info is useful.

:cheers:

Cowboy

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Been there - Done that

I spent five years as an Optician on a mobile vision van. We provided on-site protective eyewear to businesses in the New England states. The company that I worked for had four vision vans on the road every day. We sold tons of Rx glasses and goggles, 200 pair a week was not uncommon. There was also another company in New England with a few vision vans and I am sure that they did much the same. Twas one of the best gigs I ever had.

Just a few years ago in the New England area we had Mountain Safety, Strafford Safety and Chesapeake Optical. These companies were all aquired by Aearo and they may still be running a single van, on a part time basis.

Today, they are all gone. The demand for low prices, frequent service and the high operational costs did us in. If you are thinking seriously of this I suggest having your CPA run the numbers for you. If you want an exact cost analysis I will be happy to supply it. If you want some pictures of the interiors/exteriors of the vans just drop an email and I will send them.

I just do not see this as being a valid business model for either dress or safety eyewear in todays marketplace. Now, of course, you can throw a bag-o-frames and your PD stick in the old Buick and stop by Granny Johnsons on the way home . . .

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have been providing mobile optical service for over 11 years and will point out some pros and cons I have found along the way.

Before you walk through the doors of a health care facility you will have already jumped through many hoops and spent considerable money before you even sell a pair of eyewear. Although you may be an unlicensed state in the retail environment a whole different set of rules may apply in becoming a vendor to the health care environment. Things may be different from state to state but here in PA this is how it is:

1. You will need at least 1 million ($$$,$$$,$$$) of professional liability insurance (malpractice). By the way, I can not maintain PLI unless I also mantain ABO certification. Go figure in an unlicensed state.
    2. You will have to submit a criminal records clearance.
    3. You will have to provide documentation of credentials.
    4. You will need to provide documentation of infection control such as routine TB and flu shots.

Health care facilities are always sure to cover their backsides due to the fact that one little complaint from a residents family is usually the catalyst for an inspection from the department of health which can impose significant fines if they are found in violation of any procedures.

Doesn't it sound enjoyable already

To the above add the fact that you will be asked to adjust and change nosepads on all your competitors eyewear for patients and staff. If you think third party billing is a headache wait until you have experienced fourth party billing which you will wait an average of 45 to 60 days for your payments.

However, there is indeed a brighter side :cheers:

The greatest motivation in knowing you helped someone that otherwise may not have received optical services. The mobile services have also been a good avenue to attract staff members into our retail location.

As of HIPPA, I have been able to contract with all my health care facilities. Therefore my responsibilities and their responsibilities are defined and understood. This also makes it possible to operate on a volume basis by servicing many residents during one visit and therefore more profitable.

Most folks in health care facilities are not extremely picky and therefore don't command the latest and greatest of eyewear styles. In fact many are more comfortable with the older styles. If you are also operating a retail location, this is a good opportunity to utilize some of your frames collecting cobwebs.

Mobile services have been a good ancillary income but even after 8 years and 27 different accounts it definately is not something I could make a full time living at. Therefore, I took the opportunity to open a retail location in a single doctor ophthalmology practice. Presently, I am on the road approx. two days a week while the retail location is my bread and butter income.

my .02 worth
    Kevin

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    DiLa,

Your profile does not say where you are located. I have read stories about mobile services that cater to high end clientale such as LA/Hollywood and NY. It seems it could be lucrative if you can develop the right clientale base ie celebrities and CEO-types. Keep us posted.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am located in the Shreveport, La area. There are lots of people here and few optical choices. Or lets say, few good optical choices. Most people have learned about the big chain and we only have two here. They have a different clientel than I am thinking of providing service for. This will be more for the high-profile business person. I have been doing glasses for these people for 15 years, and they always complain about getting to the store. That is why I got the idea to go to them.

Don't you think that baby boomers are demanding more personal service today? They have their personal trainers, hair stylist, manicurist, masseuse, etc. Why not personal optician?

I will service nursing homes and retirement homes when I am called, but that won't be my niche.

Thanks everybody, for responding so quickly. I really appreciate your opinions. It helps calm the nerves.

Thread Information