Thread: Another post of 1800Contacts

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Another post of 1800Contacts

I just learned a trivial fact. If an optical retailer/private responds to 1800 Contacts in reference to a Rx verification form, that, the requested patients Rx has expired, they (1800) refers the patient to a Doctor in that patients area. These Doctors are affiliated only with Cole (JCPenny, Sears, etc.) These doctors are performing the exam and fittings for only $78.00 (at least in our area). Once again, another slap in our face on how to de-value our profession. I say "shame on you Doctors for taking the easy dollar over the respect and dignity of your choosen career.":angry:

:cheers:

Cowboy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This "deal" was made by that Bald Headed Stooge who was VP of Cole for Pearle. It was sprung on us at the last Franchisee Convention.

To my knowledge, none of the franchises here on the west coast of Florida participate.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

I heard a suggestion on another forum that before you send back the fax telling 1-800 that the patient's Rx is expired, call the patient and let him know that his Rx is expired, and ask if he wants to schedule his exam with YOU.

Personally, this approach is too aggressive for my taste, but if it appeals to you, you might try it to keep the patient in your office.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paw,

Yes, I do that. When A fax request comes through, we pull the patients record, determine the date of the rx, and if it has expired, then we call. We explain to the patient that they are due and we cannot permit the rx to be fulfilled as FDA regulates that a type C medical device needs to be monitored on a yearly basis. They (the patient), is usually receptive and books an apointment, it is however, in my opinion, that 1800 should not be involving themselves in the 'booking' of patients. To me, and I am sure others, that it contradicts doctor patient relations. As far as being aggressive, perhaps, but the feedback I get from my patients is that they are more appreciative than disturbed that I took the time make them aware and feel that I have done more than they have experience with any other doctor. That sets a good feeling for the day.

Cowboy

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Could you just imagine going into a pharmacy to refill your medication and the pharamcy telling you your Rx is expired and sending a fax notice to your doctor and then filling the Rx if they didn't hear back from you in 24hrs and offering to refer you to their plan doctor Dr. Low Cost to get it updated. :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love the Idea!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess it would all depend upon the necessity of the drug. However, I still believe that would be an infraction upon Doctor patient privledge. Granted, not one person is bound to a Dr., especially in our industry, but on the pharmacy end, going to Dr. Low Cost, well, he doesn't know your backround, only what medication you were taking. If he misdiagnosed, oooh, the warmth eminating from my lined pockets of our judicial system!

Lenny, what Idea do you love and why?

Cowboy

Thread Information