Thread: Need some ideas on new office.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Need some ideas on new office.

Hello,

I just recently purchased an O.D. office from a Dr. that has been at the location for 10 years. He is now moving his location to another city about 30 miles away. I'm basically taking over the location only (very highly traffic, and upscale part of town), no name, or patient's records. So, it is almost like start up cold. This is my first private office, so any inputs or idea would greatly appreciated.

My office is schedule to open mid April and probably won't get on any insurance panel until a month or two later. I would like some input on grand opening advertising.

I was thinking about "FREE EXAM" with purchase of frame and lens. or 50% OFF on all frame with lens purchase. Also, I want to know if direct mailing would work? What is the greatest way to get your new phone number out to the community? My office is very visible to the traffic (banner maybe?). Feel free to suggest anything.

Thank you in advance

snv

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check your state laws on the FREE EYE EXAM. FL is very specific on how you can advertise that. We found when we opened newspaper ads 1 - 2 times a week were most effective.

UFRICH:cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Congratuations! So, is the previous Dr taking his files with him to the new location? What if old patients walk in to your location? Is there anything contractually to stop you from seeing them? I don't know if FREE exam is the way you want to go (BTW, did you know your chair time is worth $3 a minute??) but perhaps a break on an exam for new patients-free always sets an interesting precedent. I would have a trunk show/ open house. Advertise in the local paper. Get your lab reps and frame reps to show up with their stuff. See if you can get them to either donate products for a raffle or chip in for refreshments. The stats on direct mailing are pretty dismal unless you have a killer list which is very expensive. Perhaps because this neighborhood is upscale you can get a few of the recognizable designer labels to show up (i.e Chanel, Gucci, Coach etc..) Good Luck!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would say NO to free exams. Even if it weren't a concern with the laws in your state, it sends a bad message. Discount something else.

Karen has some good ideas. Let me add a couple more. Depending on your location, radio remotes are good to bring folks in. If you are in a medical professional building, this may not work. I did one on a grand opening that was a free standing building with lots of parking facility in conjunction with vendor support, includeing lab, frame vendor and lens vendor, and had clowns and offered all types of refreshments. We had a coke wagon and lots of balloons and flags. We advertised it in the paper and obviously on the radio, and it was great. Everyone had a great time, and we made lots of money. It looked like a parade in my parking lot.

Everyone likes a party...I love to plan events.

Just my thoughts.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Bad address email on file sjthielen's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try doing a promo with some established businesses near you. Such as, if there are clothing stores near you you may want to set up a fashion show dispaying the latest in clothing and eyewear. Also be involved in community organizations. I also agree that giving away free services only cheapens your image and that of our profesion as a whole.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another way to promote a "free eye exam" is to say that you will "pay for the eye exam". One of the restrictions would be a dollar amount that the customer has to spend before the promotion is applied. Just discount the amount of the exam off of the purchase price of the glasses. I am also paying for manicures and pedicures for my customers at the nail shoppe just down from my location. This would also attract people who have gotten their eyes checked somewhere else. They can bring in a reciept and show you where they paid for their exam, then you can deduct that amount off the price of the eyewear.

Another promotion I thought of was to buy dinner for families that schedule late appointments. I know when they come in for a later appointment, it doesn't leave time for them to cook when they get home. So why not thank them for coming in by buying them dinner.

I am doing direct mail right now and so far has been a waste of my money. My next step is newspaper and local cable TV advertising.

A friend of mine who is a marketing teacher at a local high school says that research shows the most cost effective form of advertising right now is in the previews at the movie theaters.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    In texas, the Free EXAM advertising law is very flexible. As far as previous patients walk back into the office. I'm willing to do a free refraction to get a new RX for patients if they want to purchase another frame and lens. Most patients are loyal to their insurance and proximity to their home.

Yes, I will have to sacrifice my exam fee for the first few months to get patients to the door.

This question about FREE EXAM or 50% off on all FRAME. As a consumer, which one is more eye catching?

As far as desinger frames, it would not be a problem at all. This office is full of them and it has been known for carrying unique frames. This office is at a Free standing strip mall, and very visible to the public. My main concern is how to get my phone number out to the community.

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    I agree that you should NOT give away a "free" eye exam.

I suggest a "soft" opening for a couple of weeks BEFORE your "grand" opening. This will allow you work out the kinks of the day to day business. During this time, (which will be slow) you can spend your time networking in the local community/neighborhood, perhaps stopping by some offices and introducing yourself, delivering a basket of goodies (snacks, lens cleaners, brochures and business cards).

Good luck with your new venture!

Karen

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

When negotiating with the newspaper for advertising, request that they do a news article with photograph that includes: Your background, new practice hours, etc... This will enhance the effectiveness of your advertising.

Do you speak spanish? If not, consider hiring someone bilingual as they will increase your patient base tremendously. Advertise the fact your staff speaks spanish. We have found great success advertising on spanish tv stations.

I wish you great success in your new business.

-Brendan:D

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    During our grand opening after we moved we offered free Crizal or free Transitions with the purchase of Crizal. I would suggest upgrading that to the Alize case if you wanted to go for it. Give the people something that they do not get anywhere else. We also had a radio remote and we had door prizes. We also had a sales rep. Our grand opening was extremely successful with over 100 people filling out ballots that day and generated a lot of revenue.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I almost forgot ... door prizes. A lot of them can simply be donated from your various lab, frame and lens vendors, but purchase a few and obviously a grand prize.

Marketing, marketing, marketing....

Diane

Bad address email on file NC-OD's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good God, get your mind together snv. Don't EVER, EVER, EVER give away free exams. That is the dumbest thing you could ever do. As a matter of fact, only a fool would give anything away for free after paying so much for it. Your gonna have bills to pay and the utility company, the lab, the phone company, frame reps, the contact lens companies, etc......won't be giving you free ANYTHING. I can guarantee you that!

Don't try to be the cheapest.............try to be the best. Get out and FIND patients. There all over if you look. There are ones that are upset because they are sick of waiting for 3 hours in their current docs office. There are ones that feel like they are ignored by their current doc. AND there are still a large number of people that have yet to even have their first eye exam.

Go find these people, treat them well, and the word-of-mouth is all you need. There are so many bad docs (chair-side skill-wise) that just doing an adequate job will make you stand out from the crowd (as pitiful as that is). Do an outstanding job and people will be beating a path to your door. I know, I've done it.

Go to nursing homes before you give away fee exams. Hell, go dig ditches in your spare time before you work for free. That's just crazy. Don't try to live too much off of material sales......that time has passed for OD's. Be a doctor and provide visual and medical eye care.

Good grief, I can't even believe we are having this conversation in 2004 :hammer: Go find a plumber, electrician, or beautician that will work for free if you buy some PVC pipe, wiring or hair spray from them.:finger:

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Free eye exams demean yourself and your profession, it sends the message that an eye exam is just a refraction and chance to promote a glasses sale. To hades with concern about eye health, you are interested in spec sales only.

And in two years when you send the recall card, the patient will just perceive it as you trying to sell another pair of glasses. This undermines the whole recall system for everybody.

A suggestion is to offer an "eye exam rebate" up to XXX dollars when they buy glasses from you. This welcomes inside and outside scripts, and is probably well within the law. And it promotes "eye health" visits.

Harry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have seen some pretty good ideas on the request you have made. However, I have to say that door prizes, carnivals, trunk shows, etc., those last for a day or two and the people attending are there for the free stuff, and the ones that buy something are most likely not going to return because you are most likely not going to be having a carnival everyday. Nonetheless, What should be really taking place is the idea that you need to attract clients for a long term as you are there for that reason as well. First, you should be a nosey bug.ger and ask around with some of the other OD's or opticians, they have been in the community longer, and they will have a pretty good idea. Of course not all will be willing to help, but some ideas are better than none. Second, you have to think mass population, where and when to reach them. Radio is going to be prime, and I would start right away. Place your add in four areas, early morning around 6am then again at 8am. The next two should be placed at 5:15 pm and the last between 6-6:30 pm. these are the times when people are in their cars alone with nothing to do but listen to the radio and they are the times that people are going to and from work. It is here that you could advertise your opening but I would keep it simple and not make it grand. You want people to know that you are an established, trustworthy professional who wants to get his name and practice remembered .
    I would also suggest some of Optigodess, Exel-Lentes, and Slates' (first part only) ideas. Networking is your most valuable form of advertising because you are Tangible.

These are my opinions, all will not agree, but It is what I have to offer for a fellow eyecare provider.

:cheers:

Cowboy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cowboy said:
    I have seen some pretty good ideas on the request you have made. However, I have to say that door prizes, carnivals, trunk shows, etc., those last for a day or two and the people attending are there for the free stuff, and the ones that buy something are most likely not going to return because you are most likely not going to be having a carnival everyday. Nonetheless, What should be really taking place is the idea that you need to attract clients for a long term as you are there for that reason as well. First, you should be a nosey bug.ger and ask around with some of the other OD's or opticians, they have been in the community longer, and they will have a pretty good idea. Of course not all will be willing to help, but some ideas are better than none. Second, you have to think mass population, where and when to reach them. Radio is going to be prime, and I would start right away. Place your add in four areas, early morning around 6am then again at 8am. The next two should be placed at 5:15 pm and the last between 6-6:30 pm. these are the times when people are in their cars alone with nothing to do but listen to the radio and they are the times that people are going to and from work. It is here that you could advertise your opening but I would keep it simple and not make it grand. You want people to know that you are an established, trustworthy professional who wants to get his name and practice remembered .
    I would also suggest some of Optigodess, Exel-Lentes, and Slates' (first part only) ideas. Networking is your most valuable form of advertising because you are Tangible.

These are my opinions, all will not agree, but It is what I have to offer for a fellow eyecare provider.

Cowboy.
    Cowboy,

Sorry that you may disagree, but I have to say that for a lot of even upscale offices...it gets folks to notice the place.

A successful trunk show is a good thing to have periodically, and quite frankly, a grand opening event is not something that you do every week. It's worked for me and people that I consult for a lot. Maybe I'm wrong, as my business was successful for over 20 years....

Diane
    :hammer:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thank you all for the suggestions. This has been very helpful in my decision making as how to advertise for my new office.

snv

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    snv,
    for my grand opening 10 years ago, I had a combination trunk show with the local Tura rep(Judy, where'd you go?), (she donated 5 frames to have drawings), a local wholesale lab, (they donated 5 pair of lenses for the drawings) we held approx 1 drawing per hour. The Dr provided free vision screenings, and ended up with over 25 getting a paid exam "since they were already in the chair".
    Everyone filled out a drawing coupon and we had over 100 people through the office that day. We did over $4000 for that grand opening day, and still gave away 5 free pair. The frame rep helped them pick frames, and the lab rep explained lenses, and all I did was set at the dispensing table filling out orders with the pt's telling me what they wanted. It was the most fun and easiest sales I ever had. We advertised it two weeks ahead in the local newspaper. Some people came back each hour to see if they won the drawings. We then had 100 names & address' to mail out special offers to. If you would like I'd be glad to copy the free vision screening form we used explaining what the pt was to receive. We've done similar shows later, but none were ever as successful as that grand opening.
    Jim

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    NC-OD said:
    Good God, get your mind together snv. Don't EVER, EVER, EVER give away free exams. That is the dumbest thing you could ever do. As a matter of fact, only a fool would give anything away for free after paying so much for it. Your gonna have bills to pay and the utility company, the lab, the phone company, frame reps, the contact lens companies, etc......won't be giving you free ANYTHING. I can guarantee you that!

I agree! I've never understood the logic of spending all that time and money to learn a skill that you would give away so you could do what I do.

In addition to trunk shows, develop working relationships with the Ophthalmology community, perhaps inviting them in for a tour of your facility. Depending on where your office is located, invite managers from surrounding stores and businesses to your trunk show also.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Cowboy said:

Cowboy.
    Well you have to make sure that you are giving them a product that they do not have on their current pair, somthing that only you have suggested. That is why I suggest the free Alize.

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    Some other thoughts I had ...

1) Network with any non-dispensing MD's in your area ...

2) You mentioned that you are located in an upscale part of town and I am gathering that you will want to capture that "upscale" market. So, I would recommend that you contact some businesses like upscale hair salons, upscale clothing stores, maybe day salons (who knows...maybe even laser treatment centers/plastic surgeons ?? ) and let them know that you can help their clients . complete their polished new look!

(maybe get a brochure made to that effect) .

Take it for what's it's worth: rambling before sufficient coffee intake!

K

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with those exceptionally bright folks that say NO, NO, NO, to free exams or products. (Unless of course, they have no value)
    Why start your practice off by having to dig your image out of a discount/freebie hole??

Best of luck!

(Of course, I just gave you a freebie (advice), and that's all it's worth!!):D

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    WALK-IN'S WELCOME .....banner might work

Some people just hate to make appointments. They want to go when they have time instead of making time.

Occupation
    My sister in law is an optician (and a darn good one!) and just moved out there. She is looking for part time work. Need any help??
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    karen said:
    My sister in law is an optician (and a darn good one!) and just moved out there. She is looking for part time work. Need any help??

Is this for me? If it is, please tell her to fax her resume to (972)692-7138. Attn: Dr. Le

thanks

snv

Occupation
    snv said:
    Is this for me? If it is, please tell her to fax her resume to (972)692-7138. Attn: Dr. Le

thanks

snv
    Yep. Sorry I should have said who it was for. I will pass the number along!

Thread Information