Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FT 28 Trivex Transitions

OptiBoard Professional skirk1975's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

FT 28 Trivex Transitions

Is the rumor of FT28 Trivex Transitions true? When will this happen?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Transitions Optical is always working and developing new products. We then give support to our Lens Manufacturing Partners as they introduce these new materials and designs.
    At this time we do not know when such a product will be launched.
    Have a great weekend,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    CEO could probably answer this better than anyone. Since they have recently launched the FT-28 in Trilogy and all other Trilogy products are also available in Transitions my guess is that it will not be too far away.

Jerry

Bad address email on file OL'JBINIOWA's Avatar

DON'T HOLD YER BREATH

Remember when people used to ask the same thing about poly transitions flat tops? That's been a few years now, and from what I understand, Transitions still isn't any closer to getting that off the ground.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Re: DON'T HOLD YER BREATH

OL'JBINIOWA said:
    Remember when people used to ask the same thing about poly transitions flat tops? That's been a few years now, and from what I understand, Transitions still isn't any closer to getting that off the ground.
    I have a theory about that that is slightly conspiratorial...If you are almost half owned by the largest PAL manufacturer in the world why would you introduce a poly FT 28 trans?? I have heard that a Trilogy Trans Ft is definitely in the works. Has Hoya done it in Phoenix yet? ( I am so out of the loop now!)
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Re: Re: DON'T HOLD YER BREATH

karen said:
    I have a theory about that that is slightly conspiratorial...If you are almost half owned by the largest PAL manufacturer in the world why would you introduce a poly FT 28 trans?? I have heard that a Trilogy Trans Ft is definitely in the works. Has Hoya done it in Phoenix yet? ( I am so out of the loop now!)
    Exactly. I believe that Essilor is trying to get rid of the FT. You cannot apply the Alize coating to a FT, and they do not make a FT in Airwear. Recently I purchased these frames in a promotional offer between essilor and Raymond Lanctot. They are nice looking four points. I appreciate that Essilor only wants to do them in poly, but last week I sent them two in a FT, and they said that they couldn't do them. We even asked for them to be done in poly. They refused saying that they will only do their airwear lens. I then said "make a flat top in airwear". Eventually they agreed to do them. They then said that after these two they will not do anymore in a FT. I said if they do that, I will send back the frames. So they backed off and said we can do them in a FT.

ft28 trivex

Yes that rumor is true and i have alredy used them on two occasions

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Sorry to dispel any conspiracy theories, but the problem with the release of the FT28 Trivex/Trilogy Transitions is purely technical and associated with both coatings and substrate technologies.

Occupation
    CEO said:
    Sorry to dispel any conspiracy theories, but the problem with the release of the FT28 Trivex/Trilogy Transitions is purely technical and associated with both coatings and substrate technologies.
    The conspiracy theory is about poly :bbg: I know you guys have been working on Trilogy FT for a while-Terry does a super job of keeping me informed!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

For Life,

Airware is poly. Nothing more special about it. Just a marketing ploy from the marketing Juggernaught

Why don't you want a poly airware panamic crizal nikon proformance pakage ultra litestyle? Because you can't remeber all those names, thats why.:D

Occupation
    mrba said:
    For Life,

Airware is poly. Nothing more special about it. Just a marketing ploy from the marketing Juggernaught

Why don't you want a poly airware panamic crizal nikon proformance pakage ultra litestyle? Because you can't remeber all those names, thats why.:D
    I know that Airwear is poly. The problem is that Essilor would not do it because they would only do the job in Airwear. They would not do it in any other poly. Essilor does not have a flat top available in the Airwear product line. So they were refusing to do these.

It is not that I love Airwear over poly, since Airwear is poly. I love Airwear because its duriability with the Crizal, TD2, and Alize coatings.

Try Zeiss Carat on you poly (airwear or otherwise). Similar to Alize, and toupher if you ask me. But ultimately touph enouph for what you want. If Essilor wont do it for the reason you suspect (and I suspect you are correct), then use Zeiss.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I understand the main issue had to do with Poly, and here again there is not conspiracy. We just have a technical problem which involves coating technologies and substrates.
    Essilor is in the clear on this one, nothing conspiritorial, just technology limitations.

Unfortunately, technological breakthroughs are not always easy to schedule.

CEO,
    tech breakthroughs are impossible to schedule, howewer they are easy to fund!!! This can help.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    For-Life:

You can get Crizal/Alize on "some" FT's. Just not on Poly FT's. Essilor coats the CR-39, Poloroid CR, and both the grey and brown 1.5 Transitions. So if the Rx power you wanted will work in the lower index, you have an option.

And they do make Poly (Airwear) FT28 & FT35's. But last info I got said - no Crizal/Alize on it.

And of course Karen... it's all a conspiracy. Same as Area-51.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    JRS said:

And of course Karen... it's all a conspiracy. Same as Area-51.
    Well, I was mostly kidding but from a business standpoint, why release old technology (Ft 28) in a poly transitions if it will cut into your PAL market -and I think it would. How many of you opticians sell a poly trans PAL to your patient because the FT isn't available? I sure did if I felt the patient could wear it successfully. I think that is part of the reason why you won't see a trans poly FT. As other people here have stated there are other issues but I think a company with big pockets and lots of R&D experts could figure something out :bbg:

JRS, you mean area 51 isn't for real??? ;)

Occupation
    I have not been very successful in moving FT patients to PAL's if they are resistant to the change. I feel that the patient needs some modivation to change otherwise they will have nothing but trouble. I have had a lot of success with people who wanted the intermediate area or wanted no lines, but I am not going to take a 75 year old who has worn a FT for 30 years and put them into a PAL when they are quite happy with the FT. You are just asking for trouble. That would be like me forcing a 75 year old to do everything by computer. Some welcome the change, some don't.

Occupation
    Essilor runs what they call Smart Days here. They have x amount of them during late spring to early fall. On a Smart Day they will give you transitions at no charge as long as you order your lenses with Crizal or Alize. They have done this for two years and this is the third. This year they will not do flat tops with the deal. Don't you find it a little strange that they always did flat tops and now they refuse to do them with this deal. They will only do single vision and progressives.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unfortunately that's the price you pay for .......

using 200 year old technology! Of course the mfg's are going to go with the PALs with the new features of Transitions, Alize, etc. Why not? To do otherwise would be foolish for them. I do have a question for CEO.

Perhaps I misunderstood your response to the question of why FT28's in Trivex is not available in Transitions.

You said:"Sorry to dispel any conspiracy theories, but the problem with the release of the FT28 Trivex/Trilogy Transitions is purely technical and associated with both coatings and substrate technologies."

The question is this, whats different about the coatings/and or substrate technology in a Trivex Flat Top versus a Trivex Progressive? Am I missing something? I thought Trivex was Trivex.......

best wishes from hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The question was asked what is different about the coating/substrate technology between a Trilogy progressive and a potential Trilogy FT28.

The answer is: A lot.

CEO,

Can you say more for the benefit of a few?

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    You mean that didn't clear it all up for you!?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Okay, I am sorry for being so glib, but.........this is where manufactuer's live. Of course it is true for nearly every industry, and every product, but optical lenses seem particularly finicky to changes. Whenever a product is different, even by what seems like the smallest of differences it can induce a whole set of variables. So, even the difference between a lens having a seg line and not having one can force changes in casting, curing, or injection molding, or subsequent processing by a third party such as Transitions. Certainly coatings of all types, how appplied, which formulations to use, can all change.

Everytime we make a new line extension we hope that the product will work in the same exact way as before, and nearly every time we are brought back to the reality that it will require some type of process modification.

So the observations that isn't Trivex..Trivex. Or isn't CR...CR? Or isn't poly....poly? How I wish it were so.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CEO
    So, even the difference between a lens having a seg line and not having one can force changes in casting, curing, or injection molding, or subsequent processing by a third party such as Transitions. Certainly coatings of all types, how appplied, which formulations to use, can all change.

So the observations that isn't Trivex..Trivex. Or isn't CR...CR? Or isn't poly....poly? How I wish it were so.
    Is the material different? After all, that IS what its all about isn't it?Would not the coating on a progressive lens be the same as on a flat top?But since the coating is applied to the surface of a lens which we assume is the same material, what is different between progressive and fused bifocals. I don't mean to be difficult, but I am trying to learn something and I'm just not getting it!

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    At the transitions booth at vision expo I met one of the research/development people and asked about the FT/poly/transitions problem. Was it marketing to force progressives?

Nope, she said. There is a problem with a prominant dark line at the top of the flat-top poly she said. So, go with a high index.

Harry

Thread Information