Thread: Interview Nuances

Interview Nuances

Hello fellow optiboarders i need help answering questions for interview. The q's i got from various websites that i think i will be asked of.

Tell me about yourself?
    Why did you consider optical profession/company?
    What have you been doing since graduating school/college?

Any other question and tips i missed you are welcome to add

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depending on the establishment, expect questions about your availability, the hours and days you can work. Also expect questions about what type of salary and benefits you are looking for. They may tell you what their work setting is like and seek to find out if you would be comfortable working there.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ODTech,
    Normally, in the interview process where customer service in involved, they will ask you to tell them about your most difficult customer and what you did to rectify their complaint.

They will ask you about goals where you worked.

And my favorite is "where do you want to be 5 years from now?"

Be sure you are able to quantify your answers. For example, "I sold to many customers over my years at XYZ optical."

Better-"I consistently maintained 35% of the stores sales volume weekly." Be ready with the store's sales and yours as this will be the next question!

Never use generalities, use numbers, product names, etc whenever you can. Give specifics-specific customers, specific events, etc.

Also, when they ask about your areas to develop in try to make the negative a positive. For example, "I tend to be a workaholic!"
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Hello Jo and Cindy Hamlin

Jo: thanx for the reply, i did get some of the questions you've said. For that thanks very much

Cindy thanx for the reply, you're like a carpenter who hits the nail where it needs the most. Everything you've said i was asked.

Surprisingly i said to what i want to be 5 years from now is assistant manager or manager.

Was complimented on attire i wore to interview
    Asked about my weakness and strengths.
    Customer troubleshooting and service of the finished eyewear

Now waiting for my Call for 2nd interview.

Personally i think so far so good.:D

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Good Luck ODTech!!! Keep us updated!! :D

UPdate

well guys i guess i flunked the enter[view] didn't receive the call checked the msn interview do and dont article, i got lots of i guess don'ts than dos during interview.

:cheers: to all who had passed the interview

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ODTech,
    Don't be discouraged. Think of this interview as prep for the next one. You get better everytime. I recently had to do a lot of interviews. They were all different, but focused on the main themes. It is amazing to me how many people that hire people don't know how to interview.

Remember you should talk 80% and the interviewer 20%. If you happen to get an interviewer that works it the other way you have to finesse it to get them back on track and your message across. One of the most important and often overlooked parts is the follow up. At the end of the interview, if they don't volunteer it, ask when you can expect the decision to be made. Then call if you don't hear that day. Also, drop a note in the mail after the interview detailing the areas that you wish you had said more about. Always work it into the guise of how great your skills fit the job.

There is a great book I recommend you read. It is: Effective Interviewing by Marky Stein. It covers the resume, cover letter, follow up letter and calls as well as the interview. When I started using her format for the cover letter I got more calls.

Keep trying! Eventually someone will realize they can't live without you! The most important part is to network before and find out about the place you are interviewing. You will get their focus and hot buttons for the interview. Good luck!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Hello to everyone who replied, thanx for the motivation and all.
    But I ain't giving up yet :finger:
    Dear Cindy, your reccomendation is very good but
    Effective Interviewing by Marky Stein isn't available in bn stores
    Maybe the titile different?

Also should i already take my CE's since i passed the ABO but didn't receive the certificate yet

Once again thanx to all

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry, ODTech, I loaned my copy out and didn't have it to look at. Here is the info for the book:

Fearless Interviewing: How to Win the Job by Communicating with Confidence
    Marky Stein
    ISBN: 0071408843

Sorry for the mistake and for sending you on a wild goose chase!
    ~Cindy

Thread Information