• I do not dispense, but not because of Lux

5 6.49%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lux and the Independent

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Drk,

I really don't want to have anything to do with either of your "ladies". The one (Lux) has stabbed me in the back once too often, while the other hangs out in low rent areas such as WM. It doesn't really matter which one you are decribing because in either case, "The lady is a tramp!" (apologies to Old Blue Eyes).;)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    :)

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting to see where this discussion has gone, and how defensive everyone gets about their "positions." So, that said, here's mine:

I don't dispense Luxottica because I want to differentiate myself from the LensCrafters of the world. I can't and don't want to compete with them.

I don't dispense Luxottica because they use strong-arm tactics in the optical industry and I don't want to reward that kind of behavior with my business.

My primary frame sources are: Safilo, Marchon, Kenmark, Clear Vision, Silhouette, Lawrence Eyewear, Charmant, Grant/Estroff, Cottet, and Neostyle. I use some Viva product, a little Seiko, and E'Lite for their Smart Clip and Smart Flip lines. I even use Altair's Revlon product.

The bottom line for me is that I can stock a well-balanced dispensary with quality products and not use Luxottica. I have no quarrel with their quality; it's always been high; nor with their designs, which are good bread-and-butter. But I can choose where to spend my dollars. And I choose to do it elsewhere, and not on a company that has behaved so badly to the independent optical industry of which I am a part.

I have an independant account in a shoping mall with a lenscrafters. They stock only luxottica product and undercut the LC price 10$.

They are doing very well...

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by mrba
    I have an independant account in a shoping mall with a lenscrafters. They stock only luxottica product and undercut the LC price 10$.

They are doing very well...
    Well good for them. But every frame they sell makes LC money.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Andrew W:

I agree w/ much of what you said, but am confused as to why you would carry Altair(The line that VSP forces their accounts to carry) when you don't agree w/ "strong arm" tactics? How much more strong armed can you get than that?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life

Well good for them. But every frame they sell makes LC money.
    Also financing Lux to further expand and put independend business into corner.
    Wal Mart strategies.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any one hear of anymore news about the take over of Sears Optical by Lux?
    :D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I heard by a Lux rep (God bless the poor guy) that the vote will take place midweek.

He is disheartened to the point of considering opening his own retail optical.

He also said that "he's heard" (grain of salt here) that Lux plans on going away from a "one-hour" emphasis, and will be doing less/no surfacing in the future, and will only have finishing labs in the back.

He also said that they are looking for smaller, retail-plaza-like locations (this is what should scare all of us!).

He brought up a few good points about the possible upside to the industry from the takeover, but they would be farther out in the future.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    He also said that they are looking for smaller, retail-plaza-like locations (this is what should scare all of us!).
    Well I hope that if any of us are in a retail-plaza-like location that we were smart enough to put it in our lease that you are the only store of that type in that location.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Jediron asks <<Any one hear of anymore news about the take over of Sears Optical by Lux?>>

Three steps are required. (1) 50% of Coles's shares must vote in favor of the LUX buyout at the July 20 Cole shareholders' meeting, (2) the US FTC must approve the merger (or LUX, Cole and the FTC agree to some sales of stores in areas that are viewed as being too concentrated by LUX+Cole), and (3) no higher bid arrives before the LUX deal is finalized. Moulin and HAL still have time to put financing together.

Ironically #1 may not be the easiest of the three.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I hear Sears Optical will take the Lux. agreement and most people at Sears are quite happy about this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well from what I hear from Sears the vote is in and Cole has agreed to be purchased by Lux. I also heard that it is almost a done deal with the US government giving it there stamp of approval, not officially yet but pretty close.
    Most top management in Sears are a little unsure where there jobs will be in the next feww months considering Lux will want to bring in there people to run the show. Also they are not sure what to do with the small stores that only garner 250,000 to 350,000 annually.:drop:

Bad address email on file

Blue Jumper luxottica? to do biz or not to do biz

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    I will not dispense Lux products, because they are the competition. With the amount of choice out there, there is absolutely no reason for me to dispense Lux. So why would I decide to buy from the competition, when I can buy from someone else?
    Every dispenser in the world likes to refer to Luxottica as the 'competition'. When did they become that? Owning Lenscrafters didn't turn them into the competition. Another optiboarder said independents opening up is slowing down and stopping. Luxottica is one of the few reasons independants can survive.

They have closed countless chain locations....i.e. Eyeworld and Lenscrafter stores. They are the ONLY company that is opening managed care up to the independant. Managed care STINKS but our professional community has allowed it and as American business people we have to make it work for our pocketbooks. Complaining about it doesn't pay the rent.

Luxottica continues to be the only manufacturer that is working hard to increase the VALUE of eyewear. They do not support bargain eyewear or the concept that good eyewear and vision can be bought cheap. They are the ONLY frame manufacturer that runs VISION campaignes to promote eye health having nothing to do with eyeglasses or eyeglass brands.

Safilo also owns retail locations. Not many but more everyday.

With all of these frame companies out there that opticians can supposedly do business with...........How many have any manufacturing experience? Most of these companies have no idea how to make and control the production of a frame. Start tracking whose frames stay together..........which frames need new screws....lenses falling out........etc..

Luxottica is the clear winner in quality and value. They should be an important part to any successful dispensary. Selling frames and eyeglasses isn't about feelings and politics. Its about business. Luxottica runs the most successful frame business in the world. Why not be their partner?

They are not interested in taking over the world. Just making sure the wrong person/company with very different philosophies doesn't have control of it.

peace

Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss
    Interesting to see where this discussion has gone, and how defensive everyone gets about their "positions." So, that said, here's mine:

I don't dispense Luxottica because I want to differentiate myself from the LensCrafters of the world. I can't and don't want to compete with them.

I don't dispense Luxottica because they use strong-arm tactics in the optical industry and I don't want to reward that kind of behavior with my business.

My primary frame sources are: Safilo, Marchon, Kenmark, Clear Vision, Silhouette, Lawrence Eyewear, Charmant, Grant/Estroff, Cottet, and Neostyle. I use some Viva product, a little Seiko, and E'Lite for their Smart Clip and Smart Flip lines. I even use Altair's Revlon product.

The bottom line for me is that I can stock a well-balanced dispensary with quality products and not use Luxottica. I have no quarrel with their quality; it's always been high; nor with their designs, which are good bread-and-butter. But I can choose where to spend my dollars. And I choose to do it elsewhere, and not on a company that has behaved so badly to the independent optical industry of which I am a part.
    Safilo owns a new chain.......hmmmm

Marchon instructs there reps to lie to you.....hmmmm

Both products cost you more.....even before you take advantage of Lux concepts that help you achieve even more discount......hmmm

How much money are you losing by not doing biz with them?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by scepsdtus

Every dispenser in the world likes to refer to Luxottica as the 'competition'. .............................

Luxottica is the clear winner in quality and value. They should be an important part to any successful dispensary. ...................

They are not interested in taking over the world. Just making sure the wrong person/company with very different philosophies doesn't have control of it.

peace
    That was a beautiful statement and I got tears when reading it.

A company that sells a product to retailers and then uses the profits to buy and control other retail stores ao that these company owned stores buy even more of their products so that makes more profit to buy even more stores. And on and on.................

And you are saying that they are the saviour of the optical trade.............?

I would say........that it looks a if you are on their payroll to do a brainwash job on the optical retail trade.

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    That was a beautiful statement and I got tears when reading it.

A company that sells a product to retailers and then uses the profits to buy and control other retail stores ao that these company owned stores buy even more of their products so that makes more profit to buy even more stores. And on and on.................

And you are saying that they are the saviour of the optical trade.............?

I would say........that it looks a if you are on their payroll to do a brainwash job on the optical retail trade.
    This is the typical response of someone who is using there emotions rather than logic to run a business. First, I was stating fact and not attacking anyone including you. Second, if you choose to refute what I said, why not prove one or all of my points wrong. I am tired of people just spouting without any statistics or facts to back it up.

If you had the money, and were a frame manufacturer..........you would look for every outlet to sell the frames you had produced. Its called GOOD BUSINESS!!! If Luxottica has the business sense to become the biggest frames manufacturer this world has seen , and still maintain excellent quality control.........Like none other........then cudo's to them!!!! Just because they are big and successful does not make them the devil!! Without there retail sister Lenscrafters, they still dwarf any other company in sales in any given year. Even with emotional guys like yourself touting them as evil.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Scepsdtus:

You are, unfortunately, rather blind to a basic fact: Luxottica does not have to own retail outlets to fulfill their mission of selling quality frames (as if that were their mission). They could sell to retailers. It's just plain greedy for them to try to make another buck by being a retailer as well. They are taking money out of both of your pockets, on the wholesale end (where they make a good profit) and taking it off your top line by grabbing retail dollars as well.

But it doesn't stop there. There's no proof of this, but this whole vertical integration thing is anti-competitive and designed to corner a market. Luxottica is trying worldwide to totally dominate the optical business by killing off the small guy. In their view, there will be the giant Luxottica factories and the Luxottica stores. (They are not necessarily unique in this, but very successful.) If you don't like competition and small business, then support them all you want.

If other companies like Safilo try this, we have ourselves to blame. We cannot support a company that tries to run over us. Plain and simple.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Here's some logic for you

Dear Desperate Luxottica Rep,

When Luxottica owned only LensCrafters, it was easy to compete against them. LC is expensive and the service talent is diluted. Now, we're being attacked from the mall and the discount houses. It makes my shop look more expensive when Brooks Brothers shows up in BJ's wholesale club for a significantly lower price.

I dispute that "Luxottica is the clear winner in quality and value." Luxottica is run of the mill - you are nothing special. Get over yourself!

"They are not interested in taking over the world. Just making sure the wrong person/company with very different philosophies doesn't have control of it." Who is this "wrong" entity, and how are they significantly different from you? Is it that they are not in business to make money? If they are, they have the same motives that you do. You can spin things any way you want, Lux does things that will put more money in Leonardo's pocket. And who do you think you are that YOU want to decide who "controls" MY industry?!:finger:

I will not buy frames from a company who may use that profit to open an optical retailer across the street from me. Now that's business sense. It is not "the typical response of someone who is using there emotions rather than logic to run a business".

Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Dear Desperate Luxottica Rep,

When Luxottica owned only LensCrafters, it was easy to compete against them. LC is expensive and the service talent is diluted. Now, we're being attacked from the mall and the discount houses. It makes my shop look more expensive when Brooks Brothers shows up in BJ's wholesale club for a significantly lower price.

I dispute that "Luxottica is the clear winner in quality and value." Luxottica is run of the mill - you are nothing special. Get over yourself!

"They are not interested in taking over the world. Just making sure the wrong person/company with very different philosophies doesn't have control of it." Who is this "wrong" entity, and how are they significantly different from you? Is it that they are not in business to make money? If they are, they have the same motives that you do. You can spin things any way you want, Lux does things that will put more money in Leonardo's pocket. And who do you think you are that YOU want to decide who "controls" MY industry?!:finger:

I will not buy frames from a company who may use that profit to open an optical retailer across the street from me. Now that's business sense. It is not "the typical response of someone who is using there emotions rather than logic to run a business".
    You seem to enjoy trying to make personal jabs. "Dear desperate Luxottca Rep" is a tad passive aggressive.

Anyway. lets move on.

You are make suppositions about how product will be priced after the Cole aquisition goes through. My crystal ball doesn't show BJ optical selling Lux brands cheap. The company simply doesn't symbolize that direction.

Also, you seem to have ignored the FACT that as Lux has aquired retail locations that many have been CLOSED not Opened. 50% of the Eyeworld chain is GONE. Many Lenscrafters themselves have closed. Shouldn't the local opticians have benefitted from these closures. Aren't there now fewer retail locations and therefore more patients will be available for the picking.

I am a Lux rep. For almost a decade before that though I worked as an optician. For five years managing an independant shop. Luxottica was our best vendor at every location I have ever dispensed. There styles last longer, so discontinued product is less an issue. There 'broken parts' basket was always empty regardless of how many of there frames we dispensed.

I have just enjoyed in succession, my two most successful months as a rep for the Luxottica Group. And this as a Pearle/Cole aquisition is pending. Hmm. We must be doing something right.

Safilo, not to be negative, is now getting into the retail arena. There chain stores are huge Luxottica customers. Even our best competetor knows that doing business with us is smart. Lux sets trends and the industry follows. Safilo is not the first or the last.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You're right, Luxottica Rep, your company does set the trends and the industry follows.

Be sure you have your optician's licenses up to date. No independent accounts means no sales force. (Hey, Leonardo,how many lira will you save with that move?)

Ironic.
    Last edited by drk; 08-17-2004 at 08:57 AM.

You're right, Luxottica Rep, your company does set the trends and the industry follows.

Be sure you have your optician's licenses up to date. No independent accounts means no sales force. (Hey, Leonardo,how many lira will you save with that move?)

Ironic.
    Lux sales focus is still on the three O' market. Our concepts are designed to help them grow and succeed. We do so much more than just sell frames.

Nice job avoiding every other positive point I made. The term 'pigeon holing' comes to mind.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Unfortunately for Luxottica, the "three O's" are not going to be focusing on them.

Ancient Roman saying: "You made your bed, now lie in it".

Unfortunately for Luxottica, the "three O's" are not going to be focusing on them.

Ancient Roman saying: "You made your bed, now lie in it".
    You still choose not to have a good reason for that though.

The Lenscrafters purchase is almost 10 years old. Give me some specific examples , like I have you, of that being a negative for you or the market. Hurt feelings seem to be the motivation for hate here.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    If Lenscrafters has not negatively impacted my business, it isn't for lack of trying on their part. I've yet to get a referral from a Lenscrafters. I'm sure they have hurt some people. And if they set up one of their new "freestandings" in a strip mall next to me, I'm going to suffer somewhat, no doubt. Thanks, Luxottica, I'm sure interested in competing head-to-head with you for retail dollars, while being your "partner"!

And that, in a nutshell, is why your company is going to be "all commercial, all the time" from now on!

Thread Information