Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ABO Test Question

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll never forget going off at 19 to take the Massachusetts State Board in 1977. After 2 years of schooling at OSF my dad leans out the upstairs window and deadpans "there goes $3500". Like I also needed THAT pressure! Anywho took the test and passed (we were never told our score).

Best part of the story was the class brainiac who Flunked!!

He took the test too literally and supposed scenarios where another planets gravity could effect the weight of the glasses :hammer: etc.

The appeal to Mr. Jilson's board was succesful and he was awarded his license. I've since lost track of almost all of my 15 fellow classmates

Fess

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Certification and licensure

I graduated from Ferris State with a degree in Health Optics. I took the ABO test and passed in 1976. I have been living outside the USA for a number of years and have not taken any CEC's. What do I need to do to update my certification?

The test for licensing--is it the same test for certification?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you headed stateside?
    License requirements vary by state (some no license board).
    You'll need to take your ABO exam again if you didn't keep up with the CEs and if its been over 3 years. The exam is given twice a year (May and November) but you have to apply ahead of time (approx. 8 weeks?? I think). Here's the official site: ABO info

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO test

Thank you Jenny P!

OptiBoard Novice

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by soontobeopti
    Thank you OdTech!!!!!! That was very helpful!!:D :bbg:
    I printed it all out. I am going to take that list to work next, and wirte down all I can find on those subjects.

Thanks again!! :cheers:

Oh, and congrats on passing your test with flying colors! I hope I will be able to say that!
    Hello ,From what site did you downloaded.
    I hope you did good.
    Thanks.

Hello mike_ladha

I really like to answer but don't understand the statement

"Hello ,From what site did you downloaded.
    I hope you did good.
    Thanks."

Downloaded what?

Banned
    Future Certified Opticians,
    Are you getting ready to sit for ABO exam? Are you prepared? If not then you still have time to get your hands on 250 of the best study questions on the market. If you can answer and understand 70-100% of the questions then you WILL be ABO certified. After-all when you get your certificate in the mail it doesn't say what your grade was, weather it was a 70 or 100. ORDER NOW!
    CHECKS ONLY PLEASE:$35.00(US)
    Fernando Limas III, ABOC
    2820 Fountain View, 224
    Houston, TX 77057
    Visualneeds1@yahoo.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I passed the ABO test three years ago and can only recall maybe two questions on anatomy one I remember was about the refractive indexes of different mediums of the eye: cornea, vitreous humor, etc.. However the test questions are randomly picked from a computer and each test has different levels of difficulty. But do notworry the more diff. the less you have to get right to pass. If you are studying and understand what you are studying you will pass. NOW KNOCK IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by quality.914 View Post
    I passed the ABO test three years ago and can only recall maybe two questions on anatomy one I remember was about the refractive indexes of different mediums of the eye: cornea, vitreous humor, etc.. However the test questions are randomly picked from a computer and each test has different levels of difficulty. But do notworry the more diff. the less you have to get right to pass. If you are studying and understand what you are studying you will pass. NOW KNOCK IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Check this out: [spoiler=Click Here]This thread is 3 years old[/spoiler]
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Check this out: [spoiler=Click Here]This thread is 3 years old[/spoiler]
    actuall the thread is 5 years old the las reply was 2 years out of date.

Bad address email on file donovanbaldwin's Avatar
    Occupation

Not Stressed, but........

Not really stressing myself, but recently was hired into an optical lab in Atlanta area after having been out of the business for 11 years. Used to be an in-house optical lab manager for an optometrist in Austin, TX Antiquated equipment, but full surface and finish, plus retail, adjustments, misc repairs, etc. Could have passed ABO back then but decided to go drive a truck instead. It was fun, but now I need a job and when people ask about certifications and so on, I have to say, "no". It took a while to find someone willing to give me a chance, and I go back in as a lab rat. I'll be running a lab in a year, but I've got to go back to the bottom rung.

I also had a degree in Accounting and decided to go in the Army, which I eventually retired from. Guess what. Nobody wanted to hire an accountant who hadn't done number crunching in years.

Get your training and certifications while you can and keep it up, even if you go somewhere else and start doing something else. You never can tell when you'll need to use it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by donovanbaldwin View Post
    Not really stressing myself, but recently was hired into an optical lab in Atlanta area after having been out of the business for 11 years. Used to be an in-house optical lab manager for an optometrist in Austin, TX Antiquated equipment, but full surface and finish, plus retail, adjustments, misc repairs, etc. Could have passed ABO back then but decided to go drive a truck instead. It was fun, but now I need a job and when people ask about certifications and so on, I have to say, "no". It took a while to find someone willing to give me a chance, and I go back in as a lab rat. I'll be running a lab in a year, but I've got to go back to the bottom rung.

I also had a degree in Accounting and decided to go in the Army, which I eventually retired from. Guess what. Nobody wanted to hire an accountant who hadn't done number crunching in years.

Get your training and certifications while you can and keep it up, even if you go somewhere else and start doing something else. You never can tell when you'll need to use it.
    Welcome, and let me say welcome.

This may have been better as it's own thread, but anyway...

It sounds like you've got a lot going for you. It could be beneficial for you to attend the meeting in Atlanta next week. Go to www.southeasternopticians.com.

I would love to meet you there. In addition, there will be other speakers like Dr. Warren McDonald, Jackie O'Keefe, Michael Della Pesca, Michael Gzik, Ed DeGennaro, all well known in the industry. We also have some others that are newer to the speaking industry, but not new to the optical industry.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO Exam

It is a piece of cake. I am a 59 year old male who just took it for fun and scored a 93. There is a CD available you can purchase with 800 questions and you can keep score on your answers
    Call me 910 276 1993 my office
    Ask For Donald

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgaudiomon1 View Post
    It is a piece of cake. I am a 59 year old male who just took it for fun and scored a 93. There is a CD available you can purchase with 800 questions and you can keep score on your answers
    Call me 910 276 1993 my office
    Ask For Donald
    as much as I hate to keep a five year old thread going. You wouldn't happen to be selling said CD would you?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

cd

I BOUGHT THE CD and I forgot to look at it, darn shoulda studied, scored 95 and took me 40 minutes
    Money carefully refunded

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'll keep it going!

I am encouraging my staff to become certified and expand their knowledge.

So what are some good study materials I can buy for them? I can't make heads or tails out of this thread.

Isn't there a great review book or packet or something?????

Occupation

Doc

This is free, and is as good an intro to opticianry as I've seen anywhere else.
    http://www.laramyk.com/education/ope...udy-guide.html

Wes
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Thread Information